Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange. It doesn't for me. :unsure:
See it on my Mac.
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 9.05.44 PM.png

I see the Dolby Audio label in the Apple Music app on both my computer and iPhone, but starting a couple months or so ago, it disappeared from all quad and 5.1 albums on my ATV. Was wondering if others had noticed this as well.
I just happened to notice this recently... On the Apple TV I now see a single line (smaller) identification for Dolby Atmos, but nothing for Dolby Audio quad and surround streams. The Dolby Audio logo identification still appears on the iPad version., but no identifications for either on the Windows based browser version of Apple Music still.

One thing I also recently discovered, I can select Spatial Audio on both the iPad and Apple TV as a category (genre). Very helpful in drilling down further into these immersive mixes!

I sat down and listened to Keb Mo’s excellent Just Like You today and realized that it’s a wonderful multi channel mix ( not ATMOS) . Apple Music calls it Dolby Audio in the info section.

Now I’m familiar with that term, but thought it was used just for legacy Quad mixes ( of which I have a bunch in my library)

Does anyone know:

- are there a bunch more modern 5.1/7.1 mixes available on Apple Music?
-if yes, how the heck do you find them?
- if there’s no search ability, who can tell me other 5.1/7.1 mixes on Apple Music To look for?

With regard to the Dolby Audio tag (aka 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel, not Atmos)
Pink Floyd's Division Bell and The Best of The Youngbloods are two I've stumbled across (and stumbling is not a strategy :) ).

I sat down and listened to Keb Mo’s excellent Just Like You today and realized that it’s a wonderful multi channel mix ( not ATMOS) . Apple Music calls it Dolby Audio in the info section.

Now I’m familiar with that term, but thought it was used just for legacy Quad mixes ( of which I have a bunch in my library)

Does anyone know:

- if there’s no search ability, who can tell me other 5.1/7.1 mixes on Apple Music To look for?
I didn’t realize that Keb Mo album was in multi-channel. I love the song More Than One Way Home. Would love Atmos, but I’ll take what they’ve given us.

For me, this is the best place to discover new music. Outside of that, Apple has this site which is just so-so:

https://music.apple.com/us/room/1571233931
And I haven’t used this site much, but might be worth a try:

https://bendodson.com/projects/spatial-audio-finder/

Does anyone know:

The 5.1 mix of Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell is on Apple labeled as Dolby Audio. Same goes for Weird Al's Straight Outta Lynwood.

if there’s no search ability, who can tell me other 5.1/7.1 mixes on Apple Music To look for?
5.1's (all previously released on DVD, SACD, Blu-Ray, etc):
  • Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
  • David Gilmour - On An Island, Live In Gdansk, Rattle That Lock, Live At Pompeii
  • Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, The Delicate Sound Of Thunder, The Division Bell, The Endless River
  • Keb Mo - Just Like You
  • Indigo Girls - All That We Let In
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune
  • Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love
  • Outkast - Stankonia
  • Bill Withers - Just As I Am

Dolby Audio appears to be a tag created by Dolby. My soundbar’s packaging, and various new Blu Rays/Games will often have “Dolby Audio” badging. Since they seem to be all in on Atmos, I assume this is how they’re badging “legacy” Dolby formats

Anyone know if you can search for “ Dolby Audio” recordings? (not ATMOS)

I didn’t realize that Keb Mo album was in multi-channel. I love the song More Than One Way Home. Would love Atmos, but I’ll take what they’ve given us.

For me, this is the best place to discover new music. Outside of that, Apple has this site which is just so-so:

https://music.apple.com/us/room/1571233931
And I haven’t used this site much, but might be worth a try:

https://bendodson.com/projects/spatial-audio-finder/
Thanks for the suggestions.

I’ve got to be honest, I find most 5.1 and quad mixes to be very good and interesting. in contrast, I find that some ATMOS mixes can be incredible, but they are rare. Some are just ok, and too many sound kind of wonky and lacking a certain “mass” . Maybe we are still in the learning curve, and there’s not enough experienced and effective ATMOS mixers available.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I’ve got to be honest, I find most 5.1 and quad mixes to be very good and interesting. in contrast, I find that some ATMOS mixes can be incredible, but they are rare. Some are just ok, and too many sound kind of wonky and lacking a certain “mass” . Maybe we are still in the learning curve, and there’s not enough experienced and effective ATMOS mixers available.
I totally see/hear what you’re saying about Atmos. Quad, in particular, really impresses me these days. (Thank you Sony Japan.)

The Atmos that I’m buying – usually physical media but also a couple from IAA – which have been very intentionally mixed is a real joy.

The stuff on streaming that feels like someone has just thrown some forward channels in the rear is a bit disappointing. Although in another thread last year I appreciated the explanation for how/why we get those sorts of mixes. Sometimes it might be the learning curve, but it can also be a rush to get music on streaming that can carry the Atmos badge simply because sound is coming from all the speakers, and it can be done cheaply.

Having said that, I’ve also heard some streaming Atmos albums that have made me wish/hope/beg that we’d get a physical media release so I can own them.

5.1's (all previously released on DVD, SACD, Blu-Ray, etc):
  • Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
  • David Gilmour - On An Island, Live In Gdansk, Rattle That Lock, Live At Pompeii
  • Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, The Delicate Sound Of Thunder, The Division Bell, The Endless River
  • Keb Mo - Just Like You
  • Indigo Girls - All That We Let In
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune
  • Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love
  • Outkast - Stankonia
  • Bill Withers - Just As I Am
For Blue Oyster Cult, I would add Secret Treaties and Tyranny and Mutation.

Those two are '70s quads, only Agents is a new 5.1 mix.
Ah, I wasn't reading carefully enough. Strangely, when I play those two albums, my AVR says it's receiving a 5.1 signal, but the center speaker is, indeed, silent. Also, are these mixes the same as the original 70s quads? T and M on ATV sounds much better to my ears than the quad version I have.

I just asked Ben Dodson if he could add it to his app (linked above).
Here's his reply:
Hey Ted,

I will be changing this so Dolby Audio tracks are classed as Spatial Audio. This will affect the Music Library Tracker update (coming next week hopefully), the Spatial Audio Finder (Spatial Audio Finder by Ben Dodson) and the @NewSpatialAudio Twitter account (https://twitter.com/newspatialaudio).

I wrote a little bit about it at #5: Spatial Scanning (if you scroll down to the section titled “Questions”). The change should be going through in the next couple of days.

This is only quad I think but is really discrete. To the point that it feels somewhat disjointed and there is a considerable amount of echo in some tracks. It shows as 5.1 but I don't think that there is anything in the center channel. I like the way that the piano in Mississippi Queen was brought out though in the right back channel.

Does anyone know how to submit songs to any service that would show up as Dolby Audio? Seems it's stereo or atmos everywhere.

Back