Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
So I know that Dolby Audio has started cropping up in places on Apple Music. Seems to be 5.1 mixes that they're making available. I confirmed 5.1 from my AppleTV from an album mentioned in another thread here. But there have also been some mishaps with stuff showing as Dolby Audio in places but not actually being in surround (Coldplay Ghost Stories is an example). Can we get this thread going as a place to list all the Dolby Audio 5.1 stuff people find on Apple Music streaming?

Makes sense to separate it from the streaming Dolby Atmos thread.

For starters lets talk about "the bug". If you play a Dolby Audio track and the sound is just coming from the front left and the rear speakers are silent, that is an AppleTV bug introduced with tvOS 15, so if you are lucky to be on a late tvOS 14 version, don't update! You can work around it by skipping back to the beginning of the track but you will likely have to do it again for each track.

Please contact Apple and complain loudly about this bug, until they fix it, listening to the music in this thread is going to be a royal pain.

1634753680423.png

Need to adjust this area to get the 5.1 working.

Take it forward then return to the start and it should be good to go.

Supposedly--i.e., it's listed on the curated "Spatial Audio" page--but I haven't yet heard of anyone who's actually been able to get any of the tracks to play that way. (I've deleted it and re-added it to my library a couple of times since it first appeared.) By rights the 4.0 version should be available, since like a lot of these other old quads, it showed up on Tidal in the "Sony 360" format. But I think someone at Apple got confused and used the deluxe edition that, when it was released on optical disc a few years ago, included a couple of SQ-encoded tracks (13 & 14) tacked on towards the end...

Thanks for these. Free's 'Fire and Water' comes up in Lossless for me except for 'All Right Now' which is Dolby Atmos. There is another version that is Hi Res with 'All Right Now' again in Dolby Atmos. I would love to hear this album in 5.1 Dolby Audio. Is this a territory thing or is there another link?

Thanks for these. Free's 'Fire and Water' comes up in Lossless for me except for 'All Right Now' which is Dolby Atmos. There is another version that is Hi Res with 'All Right Now' again in Dolby Atmos. I would love to hear this album in 5.1 Dolby Audio. Is this a territory thing or is there another link?
Don't think so, the only song I've seen anywhere is "All Right Now"

A couple of the BBC session tracks are in Dolby Audio (Mr. Big and All Right Now)

What a great thread to start mate

Most of the time finding ATMOS is painfully obvious, but not regular/5.1

I asked Apple months ago about 5.1 and they had no idea

Is there a way to identify 5.1/not ATMOS within Apple music?

i would love to hear King Crimson Wilson mixes just as a start

Yes. It says, you just have to look closely.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.37.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.37.50 AM.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.38.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.38.45 AM.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 137
Back