Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As noted many times in the Atmos thread(s), it would be nice if Apple would make "Atmos" and "Dolby Audio" something you could search for, filter on, etc. I still wish I could make a smart playlist in Apple Music for macOS that just shows all my Atmos content. The data is in the file itself, like so many other tags, they just don't make it something you can use to filter a smart playlist.

As noted many times in the Atmos thread(s), it would be nice if Apple would make "Atmos" and "Dolby Audio" something you could search for, filter on, etc. I still wish I could make a smart playlist in Apple Music for macOS that just shows all my Atmos content. The data is in the file itself, like so many other tags, they just don't make it something you can use to filter a smart playlist.

Use the comment field in the Music app. You can than make smart playlists that search based on that.

Use the comment field in the Music app. You can than make smart playlists that search based on that.
Seems like a handy feature but requires setup first on a computer.

Another way is you can use the Browse function and then scroll down to Browse by Category, then choose the Spatial Audio category. Still a little klunky though.

Seems like a handy feature but requires setup first on a computer.

Another way is you can use the Browse function and then scroll down to Browse by Category, then choose the Spatial Audio category. Still a little klunky though.

He said he was using Apple Music on MacOS, so on a computer.

That requires me to manually tag them and know that they're Atmos or Dolby Audio. I meant more that once Apple makes something available in those formats, which I already have in my library as stereo, it would auto live update.

That requires me to manually tag them and know that they're Atmos or Dolby Audio. I meant more that once Apple makes something available in those formats, which I already have in my library as stereo, it would auto live update.

I tag things as I add them (Get Info -> File shows the available format).

Not really expecting tons to "change" but yeah, can't think of of way to search that "available" field. Maybe AppleScript will catch up to the new options, but still just shows Dolby Audio streams as "AAC"

That's not true. Dolby Audio files show as Dolby Audio. All they have to do is make "Available" something that is searchable or filterable.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 18.36.16 .png

Captured Angel by Dan Fogelberg is really a cool listen. Very immersive mix, with guitars, guitars, guitars all around.

If they get a Johnny or Edgar, or an Aero, or a Waylon on RCA, then I'm signing up for Apple Music that's it. They are almost at that point right now where I'm so totally there.

What a great thread to start mate

i would love to hear King Crimson Wilson mixes just as a start
The SW Crimson 5.1 mixes are some of the most easily obtainable discs out there for rock in surround. Prices vary affordable too. I'm rootin' for the unissued stuff buried deep in the vaults that AF and DV have not yet been able to excavate.

Back