Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but I like Yello. Oh Yeah! I think it is not a matter of genre but of what sonic properties one prioritizes. I like specificity (among other stuff).
But the contribution of 5.1 or even more-so Atmos to Classical is a minor thing, with most enthusiasts having a fit if the added channels are used for anything but pure ambience.
Now with modern styles of music a more artistic use of the extra channels is appreciated and desired by it's fans. I hope the Yello style of mixing for rock, county, etc will become the dominate style of Atmos-Auro mixing as we move into the future.
YMMV

But the contribution of 5.1 or even more-so Atmos to Classical is a minor thing, with most enthusiasts having a fit if the added channels are used for anything but pure ambience.
Agreed.
Now with modern styles of music a more artistic use of the extra channels is appreciated and desired by it's fans. I hope the Yello style of mixing for rock, county, etc will become the dominate style of Atmos-Auro mixing as we move into the future.
Again, agreed. When I listen to this sort of repertoire on Apple Spatial Audio, there is a general loss of specificity and imaging unless the original recording was multichannel. That does not mean that there is a lack of distributed sound sources.

Again, agreed. When I listen to this sort of repertoire on Apple Spatial Audio, there is a general loss of specificity and imaging unless the original recording was multichannel. That does not mean that there is a lack of distributed sound sources.
I think I get what your saying. I believe the engineers are on a learning curve and things are getting better with image focus on many of the most recent releases from new music. Yello, Booka Shade, Steve Wilson's Future Bites shows it can be done, we just need more experience with time.
I remember the first stereo recordings. LOL

How did you get that view with Apple TV 4k?

They didn't. That is from the Music application on a computer. The only way I know to see on the AppleTV is to play the song then press menu on the remote so that the progress bar/next song appears and it shows the currently playing format (lossless, Dolby Audio, Dolby Atmos) in the lower right corner.

They didn't. That is from the Music application on a computer. The only way I know to see on the AppleTV is to play the song then press menu on the remote so that the progress bar/next song appears and it shows the currently playing format (lossless, Dolby Audio, Dolby Atmos) in the lower right corner.
Ive never seen that view with a regular windows app for Apple music. What is the app used (if you can say).

Looks to me like the regular Music app just right click on a track and select "Get Info".

Hm--that doesn't look anything like the Apple Music web app for Windows--and the only standalone app for Windows that I know of is iTunes (which on my computer also doesn't look like that photo). I'd love to be able to right-click on a track and get any sort of useful info about it, but I haven't discovered that capability yet. . . .

Last edited:
I think I get what your saying. I believe the engineers are on a learning curve and things are getting better with image focus on many of the most recent releases from new music. Yello, Booka Shade, Steve Wilson's Future Bites shows it can be done, we just need more experience with time.
Or is it because the other recordings (not derived from multichannel originals) are created by an automatic, non-editorial process without engineers?

Hm--that doesn't look anything like the Apple Music web app for Windows--and the only standalone app for Windows that I know of is iTunes (which on my computer also doesn't look like that photo). I'd love to be able to right-click on a track and get any sort of useful info about it, but I haven't discovered that capability yet. . . .

As you noted I'm talking about the application (which would be iTunes on Windows I guess). Not the web interface.

As you noted I'm talking about the application (which would be iTunes on Windows I guess). Not the web interface.

Right. So are you on a Mac, then? iTunes for Windows doesn't look like that--unless there are customization options that I'm ignorant of (not impossible...)--and it may not have the same functionality.

Right. So are you on a Mac, then? iTunes for Windows doesn't look like that--unless there are customization options that I'm ignorant of (not impossible...)--and it may not have the same functionality.
yeah, wondering the same thing, here's a screen shot of mine, but it doesn't even show it as Atmos (but it will on my iPhone)???

AITINFO.jpg

Last edited:
Can you play Atmos from Apple Music on a Windows computer? If not, I can understand why it doesn't show it.
Not that I know of; but I'd sure like to know if it's possible. I remember seeing this, but don't know if it works on a Windows 10 machine :unsure:

New Windows 10 updates with some added Atmos functionality...

The update also enables, "Dolby Atmos for Headphones and DTS Headphone: X to be used in 24-bit mode on devices that support 24-bit audio."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-2004-new-build-brings-a-monster-list-of-fixes/

Not that I know of; but I'd sure like to know if it's possible. I remember seeing this, but don't know if it works on a Windows 10 machine :unsure:

New Windows 10 updates with some added Atmos functionality...

The update also enables, "Dolby Atmos for Headphones and DTS Headphone: X to be used in 24-bit mode on devices that support 24-bit audio."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-2004-new-build-brings-a-monster-list-of-fixes/

I'm certain you can't play Atmos from Apple Music (or iTunes) on a Windows computer.

(Windows has supported Atmos playback--via HDMI and headphones--for some time. So, for instance, you can play Atmos-encoded mp4/m4a/mka/mkv files and send them via HDMI to an AVR with several different media players--like VLC, Kodi, Windows TV & Movies, etc. But you still can't stream Atmos from any of the streaming services on a Windows computer...)

Back