Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are lossy surround streaming renditions of old Quads or 5.1 mixes and very nice they all are too, including those Argent, Azteca & Burton Cummings Quad mixes, both Blue Öyster Cult Quads and the 5.1 Agents Of Fortune SACD mix, Jeff Beck's Rough & Ready Quad and all the Edgar Winter Quads (They Only Come Out At Night, Shock Treatment, Edgar Winter Group W/Rick Derringer, bar White Trash with Jerry LaCroix, the Quad of which was never officially released anyway), both Deodato Quads, Airto's Fingers.. i could go on! 💅
Jasmine Nightdreams as well which should be appearing any minute. And it will likely sound nicer than the old DTS CD, or maybe it will.

As for seeing the vaults opening, I think we’ll see the usual suspects and a few odd ones - and then it will be a slow trickle after that.

so far i'd say there's been relatively few of the usual suspects. we've already seen Quads in Dolby Audio on Apple Music that have never been reissued in Surround in any form since the 70's, including Azteca, Blue Öyster Cult's Tyranny & Mutation, Dan Fogelberg, Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night, Shock Treatment and the Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer album and Johnny Winter's John Dawson Winter III..

and if some of the other 360 Reality Audio offerings on Tidal and Amazon Music Unlimited etc are anything to go by (which they may not but i suspect they're a good indicator since the aforementioned are all in 360 Reality Audio as well) the best is yet to come, including Dolby Audio reissues of Quads that felt out of reach due to other labels' controlling the licences and some artists Quads being even unimaginable for decades such as those of Aerosmith, Billy Joel's Piano Man & Turnstiles, Dave Mason, Dolly Parton, Elvis, Harry Nilsson, Isley Brothers, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, John Denver, Jose Feliciano, Mountain, Paul Simon and Simon & Garfunkel.

so far i'd say there's been relatively few of the usual suspects. we've already seen Quads in Dolby Audio on Apple Music that have never been reissued in Surround in any form since the 70's, including Azteca, Blue Öyster Cult's Tyranny & Mutation, Dan Fogelberg, Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night, Shock Treatment and the Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer album and Johnny Winter's John Dawson Winter III..

and if some of the other 360 Reality Audio offerings on Tidal and Amazon Music Unlimited etc are anything to go by (which they may not but i suspect they're a good indicator since the aforementioned are all in 360 Reality Audio as well) the best is yet to come, including Dolby Audio reissues of Quads that felt out of reach due to other labels' controlling the licences and some artists Quads being even unimaginable for decades such as those of Aerosmith, Billy Joel's Piano Man & Turnstiles, Dave Mason, Dolly Parton, Elvis, Harry Nilsson, Isley Brothers, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, John Denver, Jose Feliciano, Mountain, Paul Simon and Simon & Garfunkel.
By the usual suspects, I meant artists who have had stuff had already been released digitally in surround or who were frequent released on reissue labels (stereo and/or surround - the point being they seem to be more amenable to reaching licensing deals). So that would be BOC, Jeff Beck, Edgar Winter, Pink Floyd, O’Jays, etc.

The one thing streaming does is it makes more obscure and secondary artists and titles like Azteca more viable than on physical disc.

So my guess is we’ll see the usual Columbia suspects like Billy Joel, Miles Davis, Santana, EWF, and so on, but many of the big artists and titles which haven’t seemed as easy to license will remain that way.

Having said that, we’re reaching the end of the revenue stream for physical discs and for many legacy artists, so maybe the artists and estates and labels and lawyers will be more agreeable to one final feeding (see Van Halen and Eagles with upcoming 1-Step MFSL vinyl). But I think many will remain a dead end.

Lots and lots of titles that AF did not wish to pay to licensing for were not attempted due to reasons other than unwilling artist or manager, or tapes not found or tapes found but were found to be in bad shape (which were sometimes the reasons).

A couple of big reasons for not providing desirable titles was simply a too recent reissue on other label (recent can be 5 to 10 years prior), or their budget was tapped out, and it came down to choosing one over the other.

I was told that in general MFSL does not get a very long (if any) exclusive window to market a title, and that the label does not lock it up from others to reissue. It a friendly curtesy that reissue labels stay away from a title that was just out on another label, and choose something else. It does appear to me that MFSL beat AF to so many great audiophile favorites that also had the quad masters as well as the evergreen stereo tapes in the vaults, that I got an ill feeling just reading about new releases from the MFSL label.

But as I noted in another thread, the two big hurdles, the biggest hurdles (outside of disapproving artist or manager), are pressings costs (reissue label fears it might not move enough units), and licensing approval - red tape / time involved to get it to the manufacturing stage. With the streaming of quad masters that come to Apple directly from Sony, those two issues are about moot.

So while I expect some lesser selling stuff to show up that was too risky for AF or DV like Pussy Cats, Charlie Pride, and George and Tammy, and Mac Davis, some heavy hitters platinum albums should show up - and MFSL's recent history is not going to be considered at all. Just like Sony Japan is rolling out Santana SACDs on it 7" series, and it not considering at all what MFSL has in the offering, or recently has offered.

I like it that the streaming world is not giving any consideration to pressing costs, sales potential, contractual red tape, or the recent reissues of a given release on some other label. I was most shocked at Jeff Beck Wired showing up not that long after a Sony Japanese 7" series SACD was issued. This tells me that just about anything is possible.

All bets are off now. Sony and Apple know nothing about the term we call "quad-blocked" (laugh).

Last edited:
So, I took the jump. Micro Center is blowing out 1st Gen Apple TV 4ks - the 32 GB is $90 - Apple 32GB 4K Apple TV - Micro Center (you need to pick one up in store). The 64GB version is only $10 more - Apple 64GB 4K Apple TV - Micro Center
Well, it is good to know about prices and what can be found out there. The nearest store to me is a ways away but not impossible at all to get to. I'd never heard of the Micro Center before.

We went from Best Buy - $110
then Micro Center $100,
and then Micro Center $90.

Thanks for showing us this new breakthrough of a lower price.

Can we PLEASE get this thread back on topic? This is so frustrating to read pages of this off topic stuff.
What exactly is the topic? It seems to me thevdiscussion
Lots and lots of titles that AF did not wish to pay to licensing for were not attempted due to reasons other than unwilling artist or manager, or tapes not found or tapes found but were found to be in bad shape (which were sometimes the reasons).

A couple of big reasons for not providing desirable titles was simply a too recent reissue on other label (recent can be 5 to 10 years prior), or their budget was tapped out, and it came down to choosing one over the other.

I was told that in general MFSL does not get a very long (if any) exclusive window to market a title, and that the label does not lock it up from others to reissue. It a friendly curtesy that reissue labels stay away from a title that was just out on another label, and choose something else. It does appear to me that MFSL beat AF to so many great audiophile favorites that also had the quad masters as well as the evergreen stereo tapes in the vaults, that I got an ill feeling just reading about new releases from the MFSL label.

But as I noted in another thread, the two big hurdles, the biggest hurdles (outside of disapproving artist or manager), are pressings costs (reissue label fears it might not move enough units), and licensing approval - red tape / time involved to get it to the manufacturing stage. With the streaming of quad masters that come to Apple directly from Sony, those two issues are about moot.

So while I expect some lesser selling stuff to show up that was too risky for AF or DV like Pussy Cats, Charlie Pride, and George and Tammy, and Mac Davis, some heavy hitters platinum albums should show up - and MFSL's recent history is not going to be considered at all. Just like Sony Japan is rolling out Santana SACDs on it 7" series, and it not considering at all what MFSL has in the offering, or recently has offered.

I like it that the streaming world is not giving any consideration to pressing costs, sales potential, contractual red tape, or the recent reissues of a given release on some other label. I was most shocked at Jeff Beck Wired showing up not that long after a Sony Japanese 7" series SACD was issued. This tells me that just about anything is possible.

All bets are off now. Sony and Apple know nothing about the term we call "quad-blocked" (laugh).
No doubt there are myriad reasons why licensing deals don’t happen. Read the Intervention Records thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum. The owner chimes in often and relates some of the hurdles which have to be overcome to bring a title to market. Quite frequently the issue is he simply gets no response from labels/mgmt.

But I’m having a hard time seeing how you’re connecting the dots that licensing approval is a moot point. Artist mgmt approval is part of the license approval. You can’t just dismiss it. And for all we know, the original producer may have a say in a deal (like, say, he/she has final say over any final audio product). And label approval isn’t necessarily moot either. It depends upon the various contracts in place for an artist/title. The Beatles got pretty tight control from the label over the use of their recordings in the 70s. I have no doubt lawyers for big name artists followed this model in the 80s and beyond when they signed new deals.

Again, a big reason certain artists/titles get reissued over and over is because all of the parties involved are amenable to creating a win-win. That the Wired title was already done by Sony Japan made it more likely, not less likely IMO.

But just because Columbia seems to be willing to give the thumbs up to certain titles, it won’t be necessarily easy or expeditious to see their vaults end up on Apple Music. For example, I’d be surprised if the quad of Bridge Over Troubled Water ever sees the official light of day. But hey, time is running out for 70-80 yr old artists to cash in and everything has a price...

What exactly is the topic? It seems to me thevdiscussion

No doubt there are myriad reasons why licensing deals don’t happen. Read the Intervention Records thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum. The owner chimes in often and relates some of the hurdles which have to be overcome to bring a title to market. Quite frequently the issue is he simply gets no response from labels/mgmt.

But I’m having a hard time seeing how you’re connecting the dots that licensing approval is a moot point. Artist mgmt approval is part of the license approval. You can’t just dismiss it. And for all we know, the original producer may have a say in a deal (like, say, he/she has final say over any final audio product). And label approval isn’t necessarily moot either. It depends upon the various contracts in place for an artist/title. The Beatles got pretty tight control from the label over the use of their recordings in the 70s. I have no doubt lawyers for big name artists followed this model in the 80s and beyond when they signed new deals.

Again, a big reason certain artists/titles get reissued over and over is because all of the parties involved are amenable to creating a win-win. That the Wired title was already done by Sony Japan made it more likely, not less likely IMO.

But just because Columbia seems to be willing to give the thumbs up to certain titles, it won’t be necessarily easy or expeditious to see their vaults end up on Apple Music. For example, I’d be surprised if the quad of Bridge Over Troubled Water ever sees the official light of day. But hey, time is running out for 70-80 yr old artists to cash in and everything has a price...

the Quad of Bridge Over Troubled Water is out now, streaming in 360 Reality Audio on services such as Amazon Music Unlimited and Tidal.

Amazon Music Unlimited;

8DAED147-89D3-45A3-8C1E-75B0BCB73F9F.jpeg

Tidal;

E9633478-1B93-4170-A6D9-DF53E61DD499.jpeg

hopefully a Dolby Audio version on Apple Music is now a matter of when not if 🤞

@fredblue

I have Prime and can sign up for 3 months of amazon unlimited music for free?

how does the 360 reality audio play on an AVR, I mean what speakers are outputting on your AVR?

also, I was able to install the amazon prime app on my apple tv for movies, can anyone confirm that the apple tv will play 360 audio thru the amazon prime app on an apple tv?

Back