Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@fredblue

I have Prime and can sign up for 3 months of amazon unlimited music for free?

how does the 360 reality audio play on an AVR, I mean what speakers are outputting on your AVR?

also, I was able to install the amazon prime app on my apple tv for movies, can anyone confirm that the apple tv will play 360 audio thru the amazon prime app on an apple tv?

so far i have only been able to play the 360 RA tracks on Tidal and Amazon Music via AirPod Pro's from their Apps on my iPhone not on the AVR, mildly frustrating since its definitely the Quad mixes they're using and i've only been able to listen in Stereo on Amazon Music on the Apple TV, no Atmos, Dolby Audio or 360 RA via that method as yet.

No doubt there are myriad reasons why licensing deals don’t happen. Read the Intervention Records thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum. The owner chimes in often and relates some of the hurdles which have to be overcome to bring a title to market. Quite frequently the issue is he simply gets no response from labels/mgmt.

But I’m having a hard time seeing how you’re connecting the dots that licensing approval is a moot point. Artist mgmt approval is part of the license approval. You can’t just dismiss it. And for all we know, the original producer may have a say in a deal (like, say, he/she has final say over any final audio product). And label approval isn’t necessarily moot either. It depends upon the various contracts in place for an artist/title. The Beatles got pretty tight control from the label over the use of their recordings in the 70s. I have no doubt lawyers for big name artists followed this model in the 80s and beyond when they signed new deals.

Again, a big reason certain artists/titles get reissued over and over is because all of the parties involved are amenable to creating a win-win. That the Wired title was already done by Sony Japan made it more likely, not less likely IMO.

But just because Columbia seems to be willing to give the thumbs up to certain titles, it won’t be necessarily easy or expeditious to see their vaults end up on Apple Music. For example, I’d be surprised if the quad of Bridge Over Troubled Water ever sees the official light of day. But hey, time is running out for 70-80 yr old artists to cash in and everything has a price...
I did not dismiss it, I said: the biggest hurdles (outside of disapproving artist or manager)

And no, the Jeff Beck out on Sony Japan 7" SACD being a reason it was likely to appear on Apple??? That would mean Santana's first three should be there fairly soon as well? I would expect them to want a sell-through window, like a movie not appearing for streaming until it's completely done its theatrical run. But we will have to see, maybe they are coming sooner than expected.

so far i have only been able to play the 360 RA tracks on Tidal and Amazon Music via AirPod Pro's from their Apps on my iPhone not on the AVR, mildly frustrating since its definitely the Quad mixes they're using and i've only been able to listen in Stereo on Amazon Music on the Apple TV, no Atmos, Dolby Audio or 360 RA via that method as yet.
There must be a way to crack open the AirPod Pros, wire in the output lines, and input into an AVR? ;)

But you did hear the quad known attributes on that S&G album? I'm sure to trust your judgment. Amazing info and I did not previously read about this title. Are there any other quad albums that are this high profile, on 360 but not yet Apple?

There must be a way to crack open the AirPod Pros, wire in the output lines, and input into an AVR? ;)

But you did hear the quad known attributes on that S&G album? I'm sure to trust your judgment. Amazing info and I did not previously read about this title. Are there any other quad albums that are this high profile, on 360 but not yet Apple?

i haven't found a way to break into the AirPods and get it on the AVR.. yet.. 😉

absolutely, its the S&G Quad and it sounds great.

the following are among the CBS Quads streaming in 360 Reality Audio right now;

Aerosmith : Get Your Wings & Rocks,
Dave Mason : It's Like You Never Left, Dave Mason, Split Coconut,
Paul Simon : Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon,
all the Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter & Rick Derringer Quads,
all 4 x Earth Wind & Fire Quads (+ Gratitude in 5.1),
BÖC : T&M, Secret Treaties,
Isley Brothers : 3+3, Live It Up, The Heat Is On (most of the album is on Amazon in 360, afaik the other tracks are in 360 on Tidal), Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns,
Santana : Santana, Abraxas, III, Greatest Hits, Live With Buddy Miles, Love Devotion Surrender, Borboletta, Illuminations, Festival,
Blood Sweat & Tears : New City, Mirror Image, New Blood,
Harry Nilsson : Nilsson Schmilsson, Duit On Mon Dei, Pussy Cats, Sandman,
Jose Feliciano : Feliciano, Compartments,
Mountain : Best Of,
Herbie Hancock : Secrets,
Billy Joel : Piano Man, Turnstiles,
Michael Martin Murphey : Swans Against The Sun,
John Denver : Poems, Prayers & Promises,
Miles Davis : Bitches Brew, Live Evil,
Billy Paul : Live In Europe, War Of The Gods,
The Youngbloods,
Mike Nesmith : Loose Salute,
Lee Michaels : Nice Day For Something,
Tanya Tucker : Greatest Hits (prev unreleased),
Dolly Parton / Porter Wagoner : Various (incl unreleased),
Elvis : Aloha, MSG, Country, On Stage, That's The Way It Is, Live in Memphis, Today,
Jefferson Airplane : Volunteers,
Labelle : Nightbirds, Phoenix,
Jimmy Castor Bunch : Both Quads,
Ted Nugent : Free For All,
Johnnie Taylor : Ear'gasm,
MFSB : Love Is The Message, Philadelphia Freedom.
Jeff Beck : Rough & Ready, Blow By Blow, Wired,
Loggins & Messina : L&M, Full Sail,
Mac Davis : Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me,
Liza Minnelli : The Singer,
Janis Joplin : Pearl, Greatest Hits,
Johnny Mathis : Love Story, Me & Mrs Jones, I'm Coming Home,
Friends Of Distinction : Grazin', Love Can Make It Easier,
Buddy Rich : A Different Drummer
Redbone : Message From A Drum,
Phoebe Snow : Second Childhood,
Dan Fogelberg : Captured Angel,
West, Bruce & Laing : Why Dontcha

plus;
Airto, Deodato x 2, George Benson, Azteca, Mott The Hoople, Burton Cummings, Guess Who x 5, Hues Corporation x 2, Eddy Arnold, Ray Price, Argent, both Art Garfunkel Quads, RTF Musicmagic, Poco Crazy Eyes, Weather Report Mysterious Traveller, Tower Of Power Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, The Main Ingredient, O'Jays x 3, Hugo Montenegro x 3, Charlie Rich x 4, Andy Williams Love Story, Percy Faith x 4, Ray Conniff x 5.

i haven't found a way to break into the AirPods and get it on the AVR.. yet.. 😉

the following are among the CBS Quads streaming in 360 Reality Audio right now;

Aerosmith : Get Your Wings & Rocks,
Dave Mason : It's Like You Never Left, Dave Mason, Split Coconut,
Paul Simon : Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon,
all the Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter & Rick Derringer Quads,
all 4 x Earth Wind & Fire Quads (+ Gratitude in 5.1),
BÖC : T&M, Secret Treaties,
Isley Brothers : 3+3, Live It Up, The Heat Is On (most of the album is on Amazon in 360, afaik the other tracks are in 360 on Tidal), Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns,
Santana : Santana, Abraxas, III, Greatest Hits, Live With Buddy Miles, Love Devotion Surrender, Borboletta, Illuminations, Festival,
Blood Sweat & Tears : New City, Mirror Image, New Blood,
Harry Nilsson : Nilsson Schmilsson, Duit On Mon Dei, Pussy Cats, Sandman,
Jose Feliciano : Feliciano, Compartments,
Mountain : Best Of,
Herbie Hancock : Secrets,
Billy Joel : Piano Man, Turnstiles,
Michael Martin Murphey : Swans Against The Sun,
John Denver : Poems, Prayers & Promises,
Miles Davis : Bitches Brew, Live Evil,
Billy Paul : Live In Europe, War Of The Gods,
The Youngbloods,
Mike Nesmith : Loose Salute,
Lee Michaels : Nice Day For Something,
Tanya Tucker : Greatest Hits (prev unreleased),
Dolly Parton / Porter Wagoner : Various (incl unreleased),
Elvis : Aloha, MSG, Country, On Stage, That's The Way It Is, Live in Memphis, Today,
Jefferson Airplane : Volunteers,
Labelle : Nightbirds, Phoenix,
Jimmy Castor Bunch : Both Quads,
Ted Nugent : Free For All,
Johnnie Taylor : Ear'gasm,
MFSB : Love Is The Message, Philadelphia Freedom.
Jeff Beck : Rough & Ready, Blow By Blow, Wired,
Loggins & Messina : L&M, Full Sail,
Mac Davis : Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me,
Liza Minnelli : The Singer,
Janis Joplin : Pearl, Greatest Hits,
Johnny Mathis : Love Story, Me & Mrs Jones, I'm Coming Home,
Friends Of Distinction : Grazin', Love Can Make It Easier,
Buddy Rich : A Different Drummer
Redbone : Message From A Drum,
Phoebe Snow : Second Childhood,
Dan Fogelberg : Captured Angel,
West, Bruce & Laing : Why Dontcha

plus;
Airto, Deodato x 2, George Benson, Azteca, Mott The Hoople, Burton Cummings, Guess Who x 5, Hues Corporation x 2, Eddy Arnold, Ray Price, Argent, both Art Garfunkel Quads, RTF Musicmagic, Poco Crazy Eyes, Weather Report Mysterious Traveller, Tower Of Power Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, The Main Ingredient, O'Jays x 3, Hugo Montenegro x 3, Charlie Rich x 4, Andy Williams Love Story, Percy Faith x 4, Ray Conniff x 5.
Now that’s what I’m talking’ ‘bout!!!!!

oh my F’in gawd!!!

did you just say Rocks and Get Your Wings??

did you imply Still Alive and Well, and Saints and Sinners? Jasmine Nightdreams remastered

That classic Airplane album too?

Im expecting Apple to accept reality, and accept the grand opening of the Sony / BMG quad vaults, and not take this laying down!

excuse me while I go look at Apple TV boxes…. I mean order one before they run out of stock.

The topic is to talk about the actual music on Apple music in 5.1. As I said in my first post, "a place to list all the Dolby Audio 5.1 stuff people find on Apple Music streaming?"
Yes indeed, but it has gone slightly off topic and into rare 70s quad masters from the vaults, and not just 5.1 mixes.

we are having a breakthrough in the making. 20-25 years or reissued quad on silver disc and now those remaining titles thought to be impossible are materializing.

I am totally stoked!!!!!

the Quad of Bridge Over Troubled Water is out now, streaming in 360 Reality Audio on services such as Amazon Music Unlimited and Tidal.

Amazon Music Unlimited;

View attachment 74241

Tidal;

View attachment 74242

hopefully a Dolby Audio version on Apple Music is now a matter of when not if 🤞
Color me surprised! Is it the quad mix? [Never mind. I see now where you wrote it’s the quad mix].

Hopefully Tidal doesn’t have exclusive rights.

Last edited:
I was Sooo sad when Bridge over troubled water quad sacd was cxld

Hope remains

Listening to Miles Davis sketches in spain ITS ATMOS to 5.1 on my system via Apple 🍎 Tv

The topic is to talk about the actual music on Apple music in 5.1. As I said in my first post, "a place to list all the Dolby Audio 5.1 stuff people find on Apple Music streaming?"
Understood. I never intended to post that comment. I went back and actually read the initial post before posting, but the comment must have gotten inadvertently gotten tagged to another post.

Last edited:
I was Sooo sad when Bridge over troubled water quad sacd was cxld

Hope remains

Listening to Miles Davis sketches in spain ITS ATMOS to 5.1 on my system via Apple 🍎 Tv
Sketches has been there for quite some time…c’mon get with the program!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/360-reality-audio#speakers
caf55c659e43da1d1baf9c690b256b70

Tap the 'Cast' icon in your music streaming app to stream 360 Reality Audio device to your speaker or AV receiver with playback control from your smartphone.

has anyone tried this?

.. yet.. 😉

Maybe we should not talk about this one, it may have not been fully cleared... and it could be pulled down all of a sudden. Last time we got excited it went poof! o_O

Last edited:
has anyone tried this?

when i hit that button in the Tidal App i get various options but the two main ones that apply are AirPlay to my AVR which then says "2 Channel" next to the icon on the Phone or Bluetooth to the Apple TV which also only plays back in 2-channel.

on Amazon Music Unlimited, i only get an option within the App to AirPlay the 360 RA content, which also only plays back in 2-channel.

Looks like 360 Reality Audio is apparently a matrixed system. Imagine talking discreet quad master reels and encoding them to SQ files, and streaming that!

just as an aside, i can get both Dolby Audio and Dolby Atmos content to playback from within the Apple Music App on the iPhone via AirPlay2 through the 4K Apple TV.. pretty spiffing eh! 🥳🥰

(edit: playing a bit of Barry White in Atmos right now via that method, works great)

Back