Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is absolutely brilliant, the “Dolby audio” albums to me sound better in general to the Atmos tracks, they sound much fuller, meatier maybe less compressed.

They were generally mixed with 4-6 speakers in mind with many elements placed directly in a speaker. Atmos is object based and elements are placed in space and then that position is recreated by a mix of speakers depending on how many and the placement. For that reason it is a little more "fuzzy" I feel as it is very dependent on accurate modeling of where your speakers are, phase, distances, etc. It just isn't as "solid" a placement.

This thread seems to have died off... has no one found any new "Dolby Audio" albums, old quad or 5.1, on Apple Music in the last couple months? I definitely haven't seen any obvious ones, popping up somewhere under the Spatial Audio category on the search screen. But some of you have been able to sleuth out some real hidden gems in the past. Have we given up on finding more of those? Do we think there really haven't been any new ones offered up for this long? Or are they lost in the wake of the Atmos flood?

i haven't found any new Dolby Audio offerings on Apple Music for a while now.

(in the meantime there have been some cool new Sony Quads in 360RA on Tidal - incl. O'Jays Message In The Music & Sly Stone's Small Talk - so all that's still happening at least, although there are only a handful of CBS Quads left unreleased now)

i haven't found any new Dolby Audio offerings on Apple Music for a while now.

(in the meantime there have been some cool new Sony Quads in 360RA on Tidal - incl. O'Jays Message In The Music & Sly Stone's Small Talk - so all that's still happening at least, although there are only a handful of CBS Quads left unreleased now)
Thanks for continuing to look, Fred!
Is it a pattern that quads that emerge in 360RA on Tidal usually show up on Apple eventually? At least there's some hope.

Thanks for continuing to look, Fred!
Is it a pattern that quads that emerge in 360RA on Tidal usually show up on Apple eventually? At least there's some hope.

its a pleasure! 😍

there are a number of Sony Quads in 360RA on Tidal that have yet to be released in Dolby Audio on Apple Music.

these are regrettably too numerous to mention but fwiw they incl. all 3 Aerosmith Quads, 2 of the 3 Paul Simon Quads, S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water, both Art Garfunkel's, Janis Joplin's Pearl, Phoebe Snow Second Childhood, Poco Cantamos & Seven, Chase/Pure Music, MFSB Philadelphia Freedom, Hues Corporation Love Corporation, Buddy Rich A Different Drummer, Billy Joel Piano Man & Turnstiles, all 3 Billy Paul's, all 5 O'Jays Quads, Herbie Hancock x 3, all 4 x Earth Wind & Fire Quads, both Miles Davis Quads, all 3 Dave Mason's, Dolly Parton Bubblin Over & Dolly w/Porter Wagoner, 2 Harry Belafonte's.. there's a lot still to cover, if the Dolby Audio Quads continue

its a pleasure! 😍

there are a number of Sony Quads in 360RA on Tidal that have yet to be released in Dolby Audio on Apple Music.

these are regrettably too numerous to mention but fwiw they incl. all 3 Aerosmith Quads, 2 of the 3 Paul Simon Quads, S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water, both Art Garfunkel's, Janis Joplin's Pearl, Phoebe Snow Second Childhood, Poco Cantamos & Seven, Chase/Pure Music, MFSB Philadelphia Freedom, Hues Corporation Love Corporation, Buddy Rich A Different Drummer, Billy Joel Piano Man & Turnstiles, all 3 Billy Paul's, all 5 O'Jays Quads, Herbie Hancock x 3, all 4 x Earth Wind & Fire Quads, both Miles Davis Quads, all 3 Dave Mason's, Dolly Parton Bubblin Over & Dolly w/Porter Wagoner, 2 Harry Belafonte's.. there's a lot still to cover, if the Dolby Audio Quads continue
Do you take this to mean Fred that Sony is intentionally withholding Quads from Apple? Does Sony have some exclusivity agreement with Tidal?
The missing Simon/S&G ones break my heart. One of Paul’s solo records is available in Quad on Apple? I guess that would be proof against the exclusivity hypothesis.

Do you take this to mean Fred that Sony is intentionally withholding Quads from Apple? Does Sony have some exclusivity agreement with Tidal?
The missing Simon/S&G ones break my heart. One of Paul’s solo records is available in Quad on Apple? I guess that would be proof against the exclusivity hypothesis.

sorry i haven't got a clue what's going on at all! 🤷‍♀️ none of Paul Simon's solo Quads are on Apple afaik, 2 (the 1st solo LP and There Goes Rhymin' Simon) are on Tidal in 360RA only.

not as yet. tbh i doubt it'll appear in 360RA or Dolby Audio since Sony don't control her catalogue, she has the rights to that album afaik. maybe DV can secure it and release it on SACD someday?
I believe that album isn't available on streaming period, afaik. At least not on Apple Music. I've sought it out in the past and turned up empty. I believe it is a catalogue dispute issue

It does look like Sony choose to hold off some prime quad pickings from Apple Music. It can’t be just by chance when it’s this many titles never on physical media in the modern era and top quality desirables we want.

The MFSB is of particular interest imo.

It’s really hard to believe that we were so close to getting these and actually got them for streaming… and then offered up in this awful format. I’ll call it the SQ of the steaming world. Of the duophonic sound of surround encoding.

It does look like Sony choose to hold off some prime quad pickings from Apple Music. It can’t be just by chance when it’s this many titles never on physical media in the modern era and top quality desirables we want.

It’s really hard to believe that we were so close to getting these and actually got them for streaming… and then offered up in this awful format. I’ll call it the SQ of the steaming world. Of the duophonic sound of surround encoding.

Which ones are you talking about?

for whatever reason, the Quads in Dolby Audio on Apple Music do seem to have stopped and its unfortunate because its meant no Simon and/or Garfunkel, no Dave Mason, no Aerosmith, etc. why? who knows..

i have no inside info but i imagine DV tried to licence "Love Is The Message" back when they did the 2-fer SACD of "Philadelphia Freedom" & "Summertime" but i guess they unfortunately discovered the UK rights are with Cherry Red at the moment, which afaik continues to be the case. our best hope for that one is a Sony Japan 7" SACD, which is not beyond the realms of possibility. also DV may steam in when Cherry Red's rights expire, which they eventually will. 🤞

while not ideal, the Quads on Apple are in all fairness in a discrete format (Dolby Audio) albeit Lossy Surround and not 360 Reality Audio, which is what i'm guessing you mean by "the SQ of the streaming world", which requires a decoder "nobody" (next to nobody) seems to have!

somewhat frustratingly, the form numerous Sony Quads have been released in on Tidal is 360 Reality Audio, including so many more than made it to Apple, including Simon & Garfunkel and solo, Dave Mason, Aerosmith, etc.

so near and yet so far... 🤦‍♀️

Cool!

Some of those that I don't get in Dolby Audio in the US:
Deodato 2
George Benson - Body Talk

Also, it only shows the first 300 so stops at Johnny Winter
its a shame the Quads of Deodato 2 & Body Talk didn't show up in the U.S. 😣 but we always have the DV SACDs, thank goodness! 🙏

oh! that's unfortunate! 😔
if you add the Playlist to your Library do you get all songs that are available in the U.S. beyond 300?

Back