Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the quad sounded rather muddy as well (just like the SQ LP), but the stereo version on Apple Music isn't much better to my ears. I'd also be curious to hear what Dutton could wring out of it.

This isn't a complete list, but just in case you're seeking out more vintage quads unavailable on disc:
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
  • Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night
  • Edgar Winter Group - With Rick Derringer
  • Johnny Winter - John Dawson Winter III
  • Johnny Winter - Saints & Sinners
  • Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World
  • Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns
  • Blood Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits
  • Byrds - Byrdmaniax
  • Manhattans - It Feels So Good
  • Youngbloods - Best Of
  • Lee Michaels - Nice Day For Something
  • MFSB - Love Is The Message
  • Mountain - The Best Of
  • Michael Murphy - Swans Against The Sun

Here the list of Tidal 360RA titles I have in my collection:
  • Aerosmith - Rocks
  • Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
  • Beck, Jeff - Beck, Bogart & Appice (I liked this so much I bought the Sony Japan 7")
  • Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
  • Blue Öyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
  • Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
  • Bowie, David - Space Oddity
  • Byrds - Fifth Dimension
  • Davis, Miles - Kind of Blue
  • Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
  • Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
  • Joplin, Janis - Pearl
  • King, Carole - Tapestry
  • Labelle - Nightbirds
  • Labelle - Phoenix
  • Loggins & Messina - Loggins and Messina
  • Loggins & Messina - Full Sail
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity
  • Mason, Dave - Split Coconut
  • Mason, Dave - It's Like You Never Left
  • Mason, Dave - Dave Mason
  • McLachlan, Sarah - Surfacing
  • Mountain - The Best Of
  • Poco - Crazy Eyes
  • Santana - Barboletta
  • Santana - Festival
  • Santana - Welcome
  • Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
  • Winter, Edgar - They Only Come Out At Night
  • Winter, Edgar - With Rick Derringer
  • Winter, Johnny - John Dawson Winter III
  • Winter, Johnny - Saints & Sinners
  • Winter, Johnny - Still Alive And Well
Most of those came out last spring and most of them are old 70's quads. That list isn't growing very fast at all and I don't suppose it will.

Here the list of Tidal 360RA titles I have in my collection:
  • Aerosmith - Rocks
  • Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
  • Beck, Jeff - Beck, Bogart & Appice (I liked this so much I bought the Sony Japan 7")
  • Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
  • Blue Öyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
  • Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
  • Bowie, David - Space Oddity
  • Byrds - Fifth Dimension
  • Davis, Miles - Kind of Blue
  • Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
  • Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
  • Joplin, Janis - Pearl
  • King, Carole - Tapestry
  • Labelle - Nightbirds
  • Labelle - Phoenix
  • Loggins & Messina - Loggins and Messina
  • Loggins & Messina - Full Sail
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity
  • Mason, Dave - Split Coconut
  • Mason, Dave - It's Like You Never Left
  • Mason, Dave - Dave Mason
  • McLachlan, Sarah - Surfacing
  • Mountain - The Best Of
  • Poco - Crazy Eyes
  • Santana - Barboletta
  • Santana - Festival
  • Santana - Welcome
  • Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
  • Winter, Edgar - They Only Come Out At Night
  • Winter, Edgar - With Rick Derringer
  • Winter, Johnny - John Dawson Winter III
  • Winter, Johnny - Saints & Sinners
  • Winter, Johnny - Still Alive And Well
Most of those came out last spring and most of them are old 70's quads. That list isn't growing very fast at all and I don't suppose it will.
Isn't there a bunch of Billy Joel on there? And more Paul Simon? Or has it all been pulled.

Isn't there a bunch of Billy Joel on there? And more Paul Simon? Or has it all been pulled.
That's my list; there are others, but nothing like the 90something% of the Atmos mixes that I have no interest in.

I thought the quad sounded rather muddy as well (just like the SQ LP), but the stereo version on Apple Music isn't much better to my ears. I'd also be curious to hear what Dutton could wring out of it.

This isn't a complete list, but just in case you're seeking out more vintage quads unavailable on disc:
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
  • Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night
  • Edgar Winter Group - With Rick Derringer
  • Johnny Winter - John Dawson Winter III
  • Johnny Winter - Saints & Sinners
  • Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World
  • Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns
  • Blood Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits
  • Byrds - Byrdmaniax
  • Manhattans - It Feels So Good
  • Youngbloods - Best Of
  • Lee Michaels - Nice Day For Something
  • MFSB - Love Is The Message
  • Mountain - The Best Of
  • Michael Murphy - Swans Against The Sun
Great list! I know you included a disclaimer that it's not complete, but thought it was worth piping up to mention one other, in particular: Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire

I know some people don't like the mix, the way the drums are separated between the rear channels, but as someone who previously wasn't intimately familiar with this album (including in stereo), I have listened to it multiple times and really enjoyed it, probably more so than most of the other quads on Apple Music. Flawed as it may be, it still brings the album alive for me more than the stereo mix does.

Great list! I know you included a disclaimer that it's not complete, but thought it was worth piping up to mention one other, in particular: Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
I left it out because the quad mix has been reissued on SACD :)

I know some people don't like the mix, the way the drums are separated between the rear channels, but as someone who previously wasn't intimately familiar with this album (including in stereo), I have listened to it multiple times and really enjoyed it, probably more so than most of the other quads on Apple Music. Flawed as it may be, it still brings the album alive for me more than the stereo mix does.

Right, it's not a complete list. I have the Birds Of Fire SACD, so the 360RA is not of interest to me. There are others in that category too - BOC Secret Treaties, more Jeff Beck, more Poco, more Santana.

Not tagged on the album's info page as being surround, but every song is. Pretty sure it's the same mix as the SACD.

It's showing as Dolby Audio on my computer, so since it is not Atmos, I think you are right in that it is the same mix as the SACD, which is good cause that means I won't have to hunt down the SACD to hear the mix! :)

Not tagged on the album's info page as being surround, but every song is. Pretty sure it's the same mix as the SACD.
Just listened to Paradise by the Dashboard Light and was pleasantly surprised. I thought I had read that the mix on the SACD was crap but this was a pretty good mix to me. Plenty of discrete backing vocals and percussion and good ol’ Phil Rizzuto in the surrounds. Not the last word in fidelity but not bad there. I think the female lead vocals were from a different take than the well-known stereo version but it was not a distraction.

Just listened to Paradise by the Dashboard Light and was pleasantly surprised. I thought I had read that the mix on the SACD was crap but this was a pretty good mix to me. Plenty of discrete backing vocals and percussion and good ol’ Phil Rizzuto in the surrounds. Not the last word in fidelity but not bad there. I think the female lead vocals were from a different take than the well-known stereo version but it was not a distraction.

Yes, well known that the 5.1 mix has a different female vocal performance. Detailed here... Message Board

Wow, thanks, so not just a different take but a different female singer entirely! I would not have guessed that.

And of course with Apple's brilliant way of layering the Dolby Audio version over the stereo version on the same release, we actually have a credit that says "Meat Loaf & Ellen Foley" while we are listening to a version with someone else. So dumb.

Back