Muusic DVD-Video

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllAroundSurround

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
What is your favorite DVD-Video, and why?
Do you think High Rez M.L.P. multi channel will or should be apart of the DVD-Video format?
I think it should and would make for a good selling point to boost the sagging sales and open up a whole new market
:smokin:

The problem with DVD Videos is program interruption and fake surround. If Meridian encoding were added, it would blur the distinction between these products which is confusing already, and we would have no way to tell if we were getting good surround music or a gyp. As it is, we can be assured of getting fair to good surround about 98 per cent of the time if you exclude the Silverline releases. And we know about them.

The Quadfather

I really don't know why you keep making a fuss about that program interuption issue. Of hundreds, if not thousands, of music DVD's out there, what percentage is this really an issue? Less than 1%, I would guess. I have a pretty hefty collection of music DVD's and I cannot recall a single title where there is problem with program interuption.

There is not be enough room on a DVD disc to hold a high resolution MLP track along with the video, so this point is moot.

The "fake surround" problem is not format specific. It exists with ANY surround format past or present. There are many great surround mixes out there for DVD videos. There are a lot of stinkers too. Such is life.

I have purchased several disappointing DVD videos and a couple that I really like. My two favorities are Eagles: Hell Freezes Over and Moody Blues Live At Royal Albert Hall. Both have great surround and are incredibly enjoyable to watch and listen to.

A couple of other great ones include the James Brown and Tina Turner concert videos with the DTS soundtrack (sorry, forget the specific title at the moment.) Oh yeah, the Moody Blues one. Spectacular! The Eagles one is pretty keen as well...

Neil Young's Silver & Gold is pretty good too! Plus, it is 16x9 video, and the sound is great and uninterupted.

It's just Neil and his guitar (and harmonica).

:-jon

Why am I always complaining about program interruption?
I guess it's because I have seen about 50% of that 2%. It would be nice to have a list of videos that are not interrupted. Roy Orbison's "Black and White Night" comes to mind, as well as the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" You are right about the fake surround discs being availlable on DVD Audio, but it is less common than on the videos. Aren't most of the videos concert performances and not studio recordings?

The Quadfather

Since it keeps coming up, would you please explain exactly are you referring to when you say, "program interruption?"

Also, for Cai, if you run across the actual titles of the James Brown and Tina Turner dvd's you're referring to, I'd like to know what they are. I've bought far too many dvd concert performances expecting them to sound like the Moody Blues dvd and have been very disappointed.
It's good to have some actual recommendations.

Thanks

I think he means like the Steely Dan Two Aginst Nature DVD, in between each tune they go to an interview or some other non-music bit. What's worse than that, is when they talk OVER the music.

This does not bother me too much, as I don't use the DVD-V's for music, and if I do, I just edit them and create a CD.

:-jon

James Brown: Live From The House Of Blues
Kool And The Gang: Live From The House Of Blues
Tina Turner: Live In Amsterdam
Santana: Supernatural Live

All these are great, uninterrupted concerts featuring some very good 5.1 mixes.

That is precisely what I mean, the Two Against Nature disc is a good example of program interruption. I had a friend who bought a disc from some metal band, and brought it over to watch. It would just stop mid-song and go into some stupid magic skit. I bought the Two Against Nature disc and I did edit it to quad tape, but I shouldn't have to do that. It's just stupid and unnecessary. If they want to give you extra stuff, it should be a menu selection, not interwoven into the main program.

The Quadfather

Again, I have yet to find a concert video that does this. I guess you just got unlucky. Those type of programs are certainly a minority. I do not own either title you are talking about.

If you are into the newsgroups, I posted a version of the Steely Dan in DTS with all "chatter" cut out. Much better with just the music!

I would add

Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit
ELO - Zoom Live
Elton John - One Night Only
Yes - Live At The House Of Blues
Yes - Symphonic (awesome!!!)

Five really nice concert videos with great sound and no interuptions

Check out Alice Cooper - Brutally Live.
I was very impressed with this DVD concert.
Rears actually have guitars etc playing in them , and not just the crowd.
I also think The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over is very good.

Check out dave Gilmour In Concert very good stereo mix. Not so hot 5.1 mix but the concert and the songs supurb

Back