My DIY Audio Scope so far (will update)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easter preview!i hope youtube won't cut the sound from my sample
here my quad display in X-Sterero mode.

That is an amazing achievement, very well done. Beautifully executed - it looks far better than I'd thought it would! I'm still trying to work out how you manage to address all of those LEDs with such a seemingly simple circuit. You really do have to make those PCBs available to the rest of us now!! Many thanks.

That is an amazing achievement, very well done. Beautifully executed - it looks far better than I'd thought it would! I'm still trying to work out how you manage to address all of those LEDs with such a seemingly simple circuit. You really do have to make those PCBs available to the rest of us now!! Many thanks.
Thank you Soundfield, i had this idea in my head for many years but i found out the way of addressing the leds in a round pattern only last january after many drawings.
As of making the pcbs available, i've made more improvements to the design so there are some alterations that must be performed before soldering the parts and a few jumpers to install afterward. I have all the parts to assemble 10 units (some led display will be blue and some white and some with mixed colours) i have a cabinet prototype built and the company is awaiting some final design changes and my "go" to cut the parts. (i didn't showed it on purpose) With more than 700 electronic parts to solder, many things can go wrong. Also there are few rules for mixing different led colours that must be followed because of their forward voltage values that may prevent some of them to light on.
It's the joy of the analog realm!:)

Thank you Soundfield, i had this idea in my head for many years but i found out the way of addressing the leds in a round pattern only last january after many drawings.
As of making the pcbs available, i've made more improvements to the design so there are some alterations that must be performed before soldering the parts and a few jumpers to install afterward. I have all the parts to assemble 10 units (some led display will be blue and some white and some with mixed colours) i have a cabinet prototype built and the company is awaiting some final design changes and my "go" to cut the parts. (i didn't showed it on purpose) With more than 700 electronic parts to solder, many things can go wrong. Also there are few rules for mixing different led colours that must be followed because of their forward voltage values that may prevent some of them to light on.
It's the joy of the analog realm!:)

700 components? Wow, not quite as simple as I'd perhaps imagined! As for colours, actually I thought you'd got it very much spot on with the green / yellow mix, very CRT retro!

So is this a commercial undertaking on your part? If so, I'm sure you'd have a lot of takers here for fully built units / kits / blank PCBs. I know I'd buy it in any form! Cheers.

700 components? Wow, not quite as simple as I'd perhaps imagined! As for colours, actually I thought you'd got it very much spot on with the green / yellow mix, very CRT retro!

So is this a commercial undertaking on your part? If so, I'm sure you'd have a lot of takers here for fully built units / kits / blank PCBs. I know I'd buy it in any form! Cheers.
It's not intended as a commercial undertaking but rather my desire to design a unit that could pass as a commercially available one.
At first i only wanted to build one unit but i spent so much time and money on R&D that i expanded it to 5 and now 10 units.
Only time will tell if i'll make this available as a diy kit.

Easter preview!i hope youtube won't cut the sound from my sample
here my quad display in X-Sterero mode.

I could had spent hours looking at that thing back in my teen years. It is kind of a cross between a true quad scope and a novelty that you buy at Spencer’s Gifts. God it would be great if you could substitute those green dots for some kind of flat luminescent light or similiar. I am sure that is probably not even an option to even find something shaped like that or if it could even be made to work. But yeah, great job!

It's not intended as a commercial undertaking but rather my desire to design a unit that could pass as a commercially available one.
At first i only wanted to build one unit but i spent so much time and money on R&D that i expanded it to 5 and now 10 units.
Only time will tell if i'll make this available as a diy kit.

I am sure that you could sell as many as you could produce. Either on here or on EBay. But it sounds like it is very labor intensive which would be a burden on you to keep cranking them out. Also you would have to price accordingly which might turn some people off. Even at 10 units that would ensure that your ingenious creation would carry on for the forseeable future. Strictly only with other QQ members of course :).

I am sure that you could sell as many as you could produce. Either on here or on EBay. But it sounds like it is very labor intensive which would be a burden on you to keep cranking them out. Also you would have to price accordingly which might turn some people off. Even at 10 units that would ensure that your ingenious creation would carry on for the forseeable future. Strictly only with other QQ members of course :).
I sure do not want to spend the rest of my life manufacturing these...
:)

This is more than a novelty showing randomly flashing LEDs.
I designed a precise instrument showing exactly what's going on between adjacent channels as shown in this video of a dc signal applied simultaneously to the 4 inputs, as a result the intermediates LEDs light up in a straight line.

I designed a precise instrument showing exactly what's going on between adjacent channels as shown in this video of a dc signal applied simultaneously to the 4 inputs, as a result the intermediates LEDs light up in a straight line.

I didn’t mean to demean your cool invention at all Wurly, just at first look all of the lights going simultaneously reminded me somewhat of a color organ. I can clearly see the effectiveness of it but since this is something brand new and never seen it takes a bit to really get past the ‘wow’ factor to focus in on what is going on. On my Technics scope (which is volume dependent) and which works kinda similiar, if the volume is past a certain point the screen is too bright to really see what is going on and it just becomes nothing more than nifty eye candy. At least on yours the green LED’s don’t overpower the main front/back meters and they work in harmony. If I didn’t already scratch my scope fix I would be lining up for one. Heck, I would still probably buy one anyway just because.

This really is very clever. The bar-graphs along the four cardinal axes show the instantaneous signal fed to each speaker. The LEDs in between effectively show the resulting phantom image locations arising in each quadrant. Thus, for example, when fed with a mono signal the FL and FR bar-graphs show the same signal level and a centre image location is indicated on a round LED in the front quadrant equidistant between them. I think this is particularly clear when the bar-graph and quadrant LEDs are different colours (See Wurly1’s previous videos).

Last edited:
Now if you could do this in software and have the unit output the pattern as a video signal to your tv so you have a big color version to watch while listening! Probably less than 700 parts too.

Now if you could do this in software and have the unit output the pattern as a video signal to your tv so you have a big color version to watch while listening! Probably less than 700 parts too.
Software? What a ghastly idea, I never use the filthy stuff myself. It'll never catch on.

Last edited:
I didn’t mean to demean your cool invention at all Wurly, just at first look all of the lights going simultaneously reminded me somewhat of a color organ. I can clearly see the effectiveness of it but since this is something brand new and never seen it takes a bit to really get past the ‘wow’ factor to focus in on what is going on.

No offence Doity, there are so many colourful and beautiful light display which have no meaning (mostly made in china) it's alright to question mine.

The point here is to have an instant view with lo lagging what so ever. (not taking into account the near speed of light of electricity flowing thru the circuits lol)

Computers are wonderful tools but this is a standalone analog unit without any software to analyse the signal and transpose it into something visible on a screen which can cause delays and interpretation errors.

Last edited:
RE: @audiomaster

Oh, maybe 2>3 years ago a member did accomplish this using a USB oscilloscope with X/Y inputs to create a similar pattern to CRT quadscopes. Watched on a LCD monitor it was accurate but wasn't pursued further because it just wasn't as "satisfying" to watch as a CRT. The reason being a CRT has phosphors with a certain amount of decay time that the other device did not have. Just too quick visual display.

The point here is to have an instant view with lo lagging what so ever. (not taking into account the near speed of light of electricity flowing thru the circuits lol)
Computers are wonderful tools but this is a standalone analogic unit.

As you say"an instant view with no lagging" but still it has an easy to follow pattern that didn't exist in what I mentioned above. I don't know if you put a calculated amount of decay in your unit, but it looks excellent. As I said the best solid state rendition of a CRT quadscope I've ever seen.

Back