My DIY Home Theater Desk, 24" iMac, and 1970s Technics Gear

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8Repair

After getting bitten by the vintage/quad bug, I built a center channel (https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7450) and a subwoofer (https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7624), I needed a place to stash all my gear. Seeing as how my main power source is a 22" wide Technics SA-8500x, it excluded me from almost ANY A/V cabinet, as nobody builds them wide enough to hold such old beasts. I also have a technics RS-858US quad 8 track player, and that thing is about 21" wide too, so after much searching, I gave up. I then said, screw it, I'm building my own cabinet. However, I purchased a 24" iMac, and ditched my TV, since the iMac plays DVDs incredibly well (upscaling standard def dvds, complete with optical audio out to my technics DD/DTS decoder), so I needed a desk. Again, I searched for some sort of desk that can function as a desk, but hold a LOT of audio gear, and came up empty handed.

SO.... I spent $100ish on birch veneered plywood, and another $70 on hardware (fancy stainless stuff, and trick anodized aluminum tubing from a swimming pool skimmer handle). After spending probably 10-15 hours sketching tons of different designs that didn't make it, I finally nailed out a simple, easy to build, easy to construct/deconstruct (important for moving) desk, which will hold a 24" iMac, my Q8 unit, my quad receiver, my audioscope, and my technics SU-7300, SU-7700, and SU-3404 weird ass amp that I just picked up... its' a quadraphonic STEREO amp. Being an ID student, it had to look good, and ... I'm ALMOST FINISHED. I should have pics for you guys this weekend. :) I'm pumped.

Here's an in progress shot from a few weeks ago:
desk.jpg

I've done a LOT more to it since. It's pretty incredible looking, hopefully I'll be done this weekend! :)

Everything will be suspended vertically using anodized aluminum pipe. It looks sick. :)

Updated pics, it's together, but not done. All 7 ply construction, with baltic birch veneer. It's about 90% of the way there. Needs drawers, cabinet doors, feet, and I need to sand everything and seal the wood. The cabinets are different heights to accomodate the different heights of my equipment. My quadraphonic receiver is going to go above the right cabinet, and the quadraphonic 8 track player is going on the left one. The receiver is taller, so I made the cabinets different heights. Eventually it will have drawers and stuff too. Also, notice the bevel on everything. I did it from the bottom edge, to help it look 'lighter' and more airy.

Quadraphonic_Home_Theater_Desk_by_cash68.jpg

More photos and information here:

http://miad.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2002783&l=c4685&id=107500324

Q8REPAIR:

Some very nice carpentry work - looks professional! In the early 1980's I built some standing shelving units for all of my gear. One of the things I made provisions for was a place on each shelve to mount a small power strip. Back then apartments/houses generally had only one outlet per wall which could become a major hassle.

Justin

You did a great job! I cant tell from the photos, but did you edge band?

Your quad gear has a nice, new home!!

Thanks for the responses. I love it so far. Works fantastically as a desk, and it houses all my gear in style. I love it! Here are a few better pics:

n107500324_30078182_5301.jpg

n107500324_30078183_8871.jpg

Okay, after talking to friends in the industry, I'm considering putting this into production. It won't be exactly like this, and it will have drawers and stuff. It will probably be pretty custom... if your vintage system is bigger than mine, I can probably design around that too. If you notice in mine, the system shelving is at different heights on the bottom parts, to accommodate the different heights of my equipment. The exposed hardware is stainless, and the tubing is anodized aluminum. I have about $300 into this one, so far, but I could have cut corners, or I could have blinged it out more. Personally, I think A/V desks are the way of the future, and TVs are a dead end. What would you guys be willing to pay for something like this, custom designed, to house your gear? I'm not a big time company, I'm a student, so prices would be pretty reasonable compared to what's out there, in comparative quality.

Back