My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know how true this is but it's possible the off gassing from packaging and materials in the boxes may being causing this to occur or at least help promote it. I've stored my discs in in regular aftermarket cd cases and haven't found a rot issue yet, knock on wood :unsure:

Indeed. I do not know the specifics of various disc pressing methods, but it may have to do with the difference in chemicals used to manufacture SACDs. I could be wrong. Perhaps the quality control involved in making SACDs is also tighter than for other types of discs, I don't know.
That's what I was thinking. I believe there are two basic types of dye used, but beyond that I know little. You know, I buy quite a few DL BD50 blu ray & DL DVD discs. A lot of what you find is pure shit. You can play it safe and buy Verbatim or Genuine anything made in Japan and you're mostly OK, although I get the occasional coaster even with Verbatim...but they cost. I always have to weigh coasters in one hand and cash in the other and decide what's it gonna be? With some brands of DL50 GB BD's I might get 10 coasters out of 25 discs, but only pay about 35 dollars. Verbatim I can get decent ones for about 65 dollars for 25 discs and MAYBE get 2 coasters. I always burn at half speed with my LG BD burner, except maybe the occasional DTS CD backup. I have found some reliable DVD DL discs I'm happy to say that are a bit cheaper than Verbatim. (jeez another book I'm writing)

After seeing this topic, I scrambled to look through my Perception box. I went right to LA Woman and, sure enough, there is slight darkening around the outer edge. But I was able to save it as a disc image and everything seems to work. I ripped all these years ago but never bothered with any of the video. Other discs seems to be fine.

I have the Rhino R277645

That's what I was thinking. I believe there are two basic types of dye used, but beyond that I know little. You know, I buy quite a few DL BD50 blu ray & DL DVD discs. A lot of what you find is pure shit. You can play it safe and buy Verbatim or Genuine anything made in Japan and you're mostly OK, although I get the occasional coaster even with Verbatim...but they cost. I always have to weigh coasters in one hand and cash in the other and decide what's it gonna be? With some brands of DL50 GB BD's I might get 10 coasters out of 25 discs, but only pay about 35 dollars. Verbatim I can get decent ones for about 65 dollars for 25 discs and MAYBE get 2 coasters. I always burn at half speed with my LG BD burner, except maybe the occasional DTS CD backup. I have found some reliable DVD DL discs I'm happy to say that are a bit cheaper than Verbatim. (jeez another book I'm writing)
They don't use any dye with stamped SACD's, CD's, DVD's, BRD's, etc. They are a piece of stamped, reflective metal sandwiched in plastic. Dye would only be an issue for burned disks. The disks in the Doors set are stamped, as virtually all true commercial disks are.

I'm using DVDfab and I was able make a copy of the debut disc.

That's the whole reason this app exists...every since about version 7 it is able to backup DVD-Audio discs. Do it--they are wayyyy too expensive these days to replace and many date back to early 2000s. Depending on the disc, you may need a DVD-DL (8.5GB) disc so get a few of those while still available.

As for the SACD side (some just as valuable), find/borrow the appropriate Oppo player, do a quick search on method, and back those up as well!

I've backed up all my DVDA to ISO and use daisy-chained Oppos (ISO 95 to 105 to 205) to play them due to HDMI handshaking issues--and J River for SACD. IMHO those two formats are still the best ever created for music.

Last edited:
Where can I find the info about how to back up SACD's? Can I use my Oppo DV-980H or my 103?

Here is a thread I put together mainly for Sony Blu ray players but other players, as listed, can follow the same process of SACD ripping.
Hope it helps.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/
This is the current list that are known to work for SACD ripping.
Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)
BDP-S6200 * (also sold as BX620 in some markets, requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)
BDP-S7200 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)
BDP-S790 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version developed Feb. 2019)

Pioneer brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-80FD
BDP-160
BDP-170

Oppo brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-103 and 103D
BDP-105 and 105D

Cambridge brand compatible Blu-ray players:
Azur 752BD
CXU

Arcam brand compatible Blu-ray & CD/SACD players:
FMJ UDP411
FMJ CDS27

Primare brand compatible Blu-ray player:
BD32 MkII

Electrocompaniet brand compatible Blu-ray player:
EMP3

Last edited:
So I've got the hardware. What about the software.
It's a case of reading through the thread and downloading all the relevant programs that are required to start ripping SACD's
You will need a 64 bit PC running windows 7 or 10.
I just remembered that support for windows 7 has been removed, so for safety reasons, I recommend Windows 10.
A new 2.0 USB stick.
I recommend using The PC and Oppo wired directly to your Modem.
Wifi is not recommended.
The whole process can seem daunting at first, my advice is just take it nice and slow and anything you are not sure of, fire away. With the time difference, I might not get back straight away but there are folk here who can help as well , on your side of the pond.

I personally have not used the OPPO to do this SACD ripping but the software required is the same apart from a different set of commands for the Auto script. on the USB stick

Rather than clog up this thread, can I ask that you use the SACD ripping thread as provided, to carry on this discussion.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
I am a big critic of the manufacturing of these discs. Clearly the quality of the materials has declined over the past 20 years. I am reducing my purchase of these box sets as a result of this issue and also financial reasons. Putting money into retirement funds is probably more important than buying a box set of discs that have a playing life of less than 10 years definitely is not an option any longer. It will be difficult to sell a box set of faulty discs in the future

For what it's worth...my 2 cents.

I bought a "Like New" Perception Box set off of eBay about 10 years ago. Everything looked legit except the Audio_TS folders on the DVD's were empty. A really good fake but missing the lossless MLP audio.
Buyer beware.

For what it's worth...my 2 cents.

I bought a "Like New" Perception Box set off of eBay about 10 years ago. Everything looked legit except the Audio_TS folders on the DVD's were empty. A really good fake but missing the lossless MLP audio.
Buyer beware.

jesus, so crooks go to the trouble of creating stamped DVD's with no Audio_TS folders and use original Box cases to sell their fraud?

some people make me sick

Back