• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

albertop

QQ Supporter
Yes it always starts with a few cases of disc rot. Like cancer it starts quite small and can go unnoticed for a length of time before it’s fatal.
Creepy metaphor! I am just counting the number of forum members who are actually experiencing the problem with this boxed set, and it seems confined for now. That's all. Hope it doesn't spread because I am really about to buy it, and I hope I am not wasting my money...

boondocks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
They don't use any dye with stamped SACD's, CD's, DVD's, BRD's, etc. They are a piece of stamped, reflective metal sandwiched in plastic. Dye would only be an issue for burned disks. The disks in the Doors set are stamped, as virtually all true commercial disks are.
Right. Sorry for the disinformation, I plead being very sick and my brain is scrambled. Thank you for correcting my post.
I had DVD-r's in mind.

gene_stl

Beginning of HiFi Haven thread on subject of SACD ripping. As of today there are 1251 replies to the thread. Mikey Fresh helps anyone who asks.

I wonder if exposing an optical disc to some UV light would scavenge any incompletely cured optical adhesive and render it less reactive and make it last longer or even prevent it from attacking the lunimum for a long time or ever?

himey

Going by memory, Morrison Hotel DVDA is the hardest one to rip and it only will rip today on my old Windows 7 machine. Miles Davis - Tutu is another disc people have trouble ripping according to a thread on SHF. My Doors origional set with peep hole show no signs of rot.

Snood

Staff member
Going by memory, Morrison Hotel DVDA is the hardest one to rip and it only will rip today on my old Windows 7 machine. Miles Davis - Tutu is another disc people have trouble ripping according to a thread on SHF. My Doors origional set with peep hole show no signs of rot.
Well like Snood said mine look wonderful - cept maybe one - but even that looks great (have to look hard to notice if at all a lil discoloration under light. They just play flukey. :cautious: Would say play test a few to see.

ar surround

QQ Supporter
With these rot issues arising in various disc formats, it now seems necessary to go back and rip the stereo layer as well as the MC. PITA...but we paid for both layers! What crap!!!

Glad I spent the time to rip the ISO on SACD which has both layers, but it appears that this format has the least amount of problems.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Beginning of HiFi Haven thread on subject of SACD ripping. As of today there are 1251 replies to the thread. Mikey Fresh helps anyone who asks.

I wonder if exposing an optical disc to some UV light would scavenge any incompletely cured optical adhesive and render it less reactive and make it last longer or even prevent it from attacking the lunimum for a long time or ever?
I think the folks who's discs are less prone to rot are the ones who live in cold climates or perhaps store their discs in a dry cold refrigerator. This would very likely slow down the disc rot.

In other words this is pretty hopeless if your set is effected.

Let's hope all sets are not effected like the EU DSOTM Immersion BluRay sets are for sure.

Scott65

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I think the folks who's discs are less prone to rot are the ones who live in cold climates or perhaps store their discs in a dry cold refrigerator. This would very likely slow down the disc rot.

In other words this is pretty hopeless if your set is effected.

Let's hope all sets are not effected like the EU DSOTM Immersion BluRay sets are for sure.
It is very annoying to purchase premium products like this in good faith only to have them fail years later. I have my first CDs I bought in1987 and they still play fine.

Group builder