• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

boondocks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
There are some websites that you can download the entire disc and then burn them to a DVD-R. The funny thing is that DVD-R are probably more reliable than some commercial DVDs/BluRay discs.
Ah. I agree, I hardly remember a bad burn with a DVD-R, but a fair amount with DL discs until I found what works for me. However the days of just picking "any Verbatim" and safe are over with. But what I was getting at was more that BD-R/BD-R DL disc quality, even from Verbatim is not that good. If I buy a 25 disc spindle of Verbatim BD-R DL Inkjet printable that cost me roughly $66, burn at 4x or less, I still get 3-6 coasters per spindle. I expect better.

Ranasakawa

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Ah. I agree, I hardly remember a bad burn with a DVD-R, but a fair amount with DL discs until I found what works for me. However the days of just picking "any Verbatim" and safe are over with. But what I was getting at was more that BD-R/BD-R DL disc quality, even from Verbatim is not that good. If I buy a 25 disc spindle of Verbatim BD-R DL Inkjet printable that cost me roughly $66, burn at 4x or less, I still get 3-6 coasters per spindle. I expect better.
I found Japanese JVC DVD-R is extremely reliable as is Kodak for some reason

boondocks

I found Japanese JVC DVD-R is extremely reliable as is Kodak for some reason
Thank you for the information. However I don't believe JVC discs are easy to find here in the U.S. ? (OK I found a 25 pk for $52 on Amazon)
Most DVD-R single layer discs burn just fine for me, even cheap ones (I usually just buy plex disc). It's when you go to double layer the problems start, whether it be DVD-R DL or BD-R DL discs. BD-R DL discs are notorious for being crap. The really good ones are expensive. Some of the best I've found are Verbatim with the label, which I bought by mistake 'cause I label mine with my printer. 3 disc pack now going for about $25!
I did find, and have bought several times some cheaper DVD-R DL discs sold by SmartBuy, These are 50 for 25$ and I have never had a coaster. Their BD DL discs I stay away from because for me the coaster rate is high.

Cyber 1

400 Club - QQ All-Star
The really good ones are expensive. Some of the best I've found are Verbatim with the label,
I have tons of those burnt at 4x that are over ten years old, stored in zero light location they all still play great

boondocks

I have tons of those burnt at 4x that are over ten years old, stored in zero light location they all still play great
Here again, are you talking about BD-R DL? Those are the ones that these days are not so good in quality, if I get several coasters per 50 disc batch that's bad, to me. But some brands are approaching 1/3 coasters at times. I also had some problems with some brands of DVD-R DL but have weeded through them pretty well down to the better cost/performance ratio. I've burned about 200 BD discs in the past 2 years and prolly hundreds of DVD-r/DVD-r DL. There's lots of crap out there when you get into DL discs, and the problem is they get manufactured worse as time goes by. Some brands you won't even find in a DVD-R DL.
I'm not an authority on anything, but I've spent enough of my money to see what works for my burner and what doesn't , at least in my price range.

boondocks

Here again, are you talking about BD-R DL? Those are the ones that these days are not so good in quality, if I get several coasters per 50 disc batch that's bad, to me. But some brands are approaching 1/3 coasters at times. I also had some problems with some brands of DVD-R DL but have weeded through them pretty well down to the better cost/performance ratio. I've burned about 200 BD discs in the past 2 years and prolly hundreds of DVD-r/DVD-r DL. There's lots of crap out there when you get into DL discs, and the problem is they get manufactured worse as time goes by. Some brands you won't even find in a DVD-R DL.
I'm not an authority on anything, but I've spent enough of my money to see what works for my burner and what doesn't , at least in my price range.
You know what, I totally missed "Verbatim" in that post, lol.

Sal1950

QQ Supporter
Verbatim DVD+R single layer
I've been using Verbatim DVD+R for many years now. They have always given me 100% reliable service. Odd coincident, the UPS man just dropped off a box with a 50 spindle from NewEgg about 10 minutes ago. Shipped to the door for $20.77, I could have got it from a different supplier for $1 or 2 cheaper but when I order from NewEgg I like to do business with them directly. Customer dedication or whatever. ;)

Sonik Wiz

QQ Supporter
There are some websites that you can download the entire disc and then burn them to a DVD-R. The funny thing is that DVD-R are probably more reliable than some commercial DVDs/BluRay discs.
I agree about that esp if you are burning to M Disc DVD / BluRay. Definetly my choice for the important stuff

Sonik Wiz

QQ Supporter
Unlike regular CD/DVD/BR M Disc does not use an organic AZO dye for the data layer. It takes a special burner for them but when I last priced them some time ago they didn't cost any more than regular burners, so why not? The discs are readily available I get mine at the local Microcenetr store.

Sal1950

QQ Supporter
Unlike regular CD/DVD/BR M Disc does not use an organic AZO dye for the data layer. It takes a special burner for them but when I last priced them some time ago they didn't cost any more than regular burners, so why not? The discs are readily available I get mine at the local Microcenetr store.

Thanks, learn something every day. I was not even aware.

paustin

Scary, I've had my eye on a Perception set on Discogs. Almost pulled the trigger a few times. How common is the rot?

Snood

Staff member
Scary, I've had my eye on a Perception set on Discogs. Almost pulled the trigger a few times. How common is the rot?
Seems less common on the smaller set (set without the peephole).............from what I have read. No scientific proof though, just people chiming in..........in fact not sure if anyone with the smaller set has got the defective discs. Please chime in if so. :unsure:

Snood

Staff member
Paustin peruse this topic and double check - I might have missed a few but I do remember it being lopsided towards the peephole set for sure at one point even to a point that only the peepholle had the prob, but i may have missed a couple posts or more.

Last edited: