My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I posted this last night on Hoffman's site and thought I'd share it here too. I've since tried to burn copies of all of the DVD's in the set but so far the only one that would copy was the debut.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-doors-perception-dvds-have-disc-rot.923993/#post-23058266
I recently pulled out my copy of The Doors Perception boxset and was surprised when the videos on The Strange Days DVD wouldn't play. The first video on the disc started to play but then stopped mid song. I took the disc out and checked it and it looks like there's signs of disc rot on the outer edges of the disc. So I checked the other DVD's in the boxset and so far the only two that won't play the videos properly were Strange Days & Soft Parade although I saw signs of rot on a couple of the other discs where the videos still play. What was interesting was that I was able to listen the 5.1 section in DVD-Audio on both the Strange D. & Soft P. on my Oppo 103 completely through with no problem. I'm at least glad I can still enjoy the main album tracks and that's why I purchased them in the first place. So if you own this set check your DVD discs for rot. Bummer!

I had a terrible time trying to backup my discs years ago but I don't think it was rot that was causing the problem, IMO it was some crazy difficult copy protection that Warner implemented and it took forever for the backup software to figure it out.

Last edited:
I believe it's the resins or adhesives that bond the layers together; no data to back that up though, just seems logical.
*Edit - No, I'm not pointing a finger at the product below, only showing that the discs have bonding agents that over time may deteriorate/oxidize and cause failure.

https://www.dexerials.jp/en/products/b2/index.html

Last edited:
Someone else had similar problems with Jackson Browne Running on Empty, USA pressing.

Mine are still fine, for once I don't have any problem (and I did not escape from all the other affected discs)

I posted this last night on Hoffman's site and thought I'd share it here too. I've since tried to burn copies of all of the DVD's in the set but so far the only one that would copy was the debut.
Which version do you have?
I have the first listed below and no problems

Perception ‎(6xHDCD, Album, RM + 6xDVD-A, Multichannel + Box, C) Rhino Records (2), Elektra, Doors Music CompanyR2 77645US2006 1
Perception ‎(6xHDCD, Album, RM + 6xDVD-A, Album, Multichannel +) Rhino Records (2), Rhino Records (2), Elektra, Elektra, Doors Music Company, Doors Music CompanyR2 334844, R2 77645US2006
Perception ‎(Box, Comp + HDCD, Album, RM + DVD-A, Album, Multic) Elektra, Rhino Records (2)8122-79984-8UK & Europe2006

Mine is the smaller box set (R2 77645 on the digipack spines.) I played through most of the set a few weeks ago and they were fine. Just now checked all the discs for discoloration or other visual defects and didn't see anything out of the norm. I might try ripping a couple later to see if there's a problem.

Isn’t there an association between disc rot and humidity?

probably. Adhesiveness separation could depend on water molecules making their way into/through a medium. In all cases of these chemical reactions time (heat and pressure also) is a deciding factor.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll Snood went to check his - Tex Quad me thinks you are a little correct in that.......Bought my big box used in 2014 off Ebay - discs played fine and ripped fine - played them a couple times, except LA Woman - because already had that in DVD-A

Snood went first to look at discs - all looked koo cept maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe LA Woman, if me was being picky would say slight discoloration on about 2 inches of outside ring.....so go to rip it.....BOINK locks up in PC......try Waiting For The Sun and Morrison Hotel..........they ready to rip and they do so.........So got me XBOX ONE S next to me and said let me check them in there............LA WOMAN locks up screen wise............next 5 only one worked and that was Waiting For the Sun.......the rest did a did not recognize try another disc. Snood is like whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa :eek: :unsure: :eek:

So go to me music room - still have the old Oppo 980 going (don't flame me 4 Earred) - get this shit - all the discs worked and played except freaking LA WOMAN and it locked up the Oppo in loading, had to turn off then turn on to open the tray - only thing I noticed on the others was on the last 2 extra tracks on Morrison Hotel skipped a lot (looking at them now under flash light, some fingerprints and maybe some minor wear, will clean later)

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS EVEN WEIRDER - so Snood also has and older Sony bluray/dvd player (not a newer model) - go to put in LA WOMAN and can hear the player work about 3 secs and wtf it pops on..........am like no freaking way..........it played all the tracks no problem. So thinking well all the other albums gotta play too then........NOPE the only one that worked was LA WOMAN - explain that shit. LMAO

So XBOX - played only Waiting for the Sun
Oppo 980 - played All but LA Woman
Old Sony bluray - played only LA WOMAN

So Yeah head spinning:SB Luckily Snood do have them all ripped - and somehow somewhere from some Koo QQer way back ( thinking me remember now) had made an album of just the extra tracks number 1 to whatever number and titled all with the album they came from. Very Koo :love:

So yeah maybe they are going bad or maybe just authored weirdly way back and some older players and newer ones too are hit and miss on them.

So XBOX - played only Waiting for the Sun
Oppo 980 - played All but LA Woman
Old Sony bluray - played only LA WOMAN

but wouldn't that also explain my weird backup/ripping issue?

I had to use multiple drives until I finally got the backup software to decrypt and copy the discs.

IOW I still think the copy protection could be an issue.

but wouldn't that also explain my weird backup/ripping issue?

I had to use multiple drives until I finally got the backup software to decrypt and copy the discs.

IOW I still think the copy protection could be an issue.

OK went back to the video portion on the discs - None of the videos play except for on the WAITING FOR THE SUN DISC - so yeah music and all plays koo and photos etc, but the videos nope

Luckily way way back for some reason, have no idea had bought a China knockoff from ebay for like 30 bux -plays all the 5.1 and all the videos.

Kinda sux on the original Box though think spent about 60 or 70 at the time - oh well the box looks nice lol

Don' even think would chance buying another see them going for about 80 to 100 on Discogs, not worth the risk now - will live with the tunes still playing and the Chineses knockoff for videos and backup :rolleyes:

Maybe somebody needs a replacement box :giggle:

Edit.......just remembered why and how got the knockoff/counterfeit......saw it on Ebay reaaaaaaaaaaal cheap 30ish, looked at feedback and saw lotta negative feedback about people saying things they sold were counterfeit, thing is they were reaaaaaaaaaaally quick and good about apologizing and refunding in their replies to negative comments. Sooooo figured hey lets see and if so money back. Sure nuff, it was knockoff, nice box, but the albums were a bit too glossy and smelled of ink - disc holders some discs just fell out........art on the discs were darker, but thing is they played and looked like and sound like the originals............sent a contact complaint before leaving bad feedback - within like 5 hours they had sent a paragraph apologizing and refunding everything in full. This was 5 years ago, so wouldn' do that again :unsure: maybe lol

Checked all those too and they play like new lol go figure :rolleyes: Way to go USA/Europe - we can't even make a disc that lasts and the China can knock them out like they nothing! :unsure: Ok rant over :LB

Last edited:
I think the only disc I don't have a rip for is my old Neil Young - Harvest. Guess I better get to it, too
Hmmm better check "Mojo" BD not sure about doing it either. Yikes!
I was backing up BD's to these "hard coat" Verbatims but they are so darned expensive but anyway it makes me wonder if this "hard coat" really preserves the discs.

Back