My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it always starts with a few cases of disc rot. Like cancer it starts quite small and can go unnoticed for a length of time before it’s fatal.
Creepy metaphor! I am just counting the number of forum members who are actually experiencing the problem with this boxed set, and it seems confined for now. That's all. Hope it doesn't spread because I am really about to buy it, and I hope I am not wasting my money...

They don't use any dye with stamped SACD's, CD's, DVD's, BRD's, etc. They are a piece of stamped, reflective metal sandwiched in plastic. Dye would only be an issue for burned disks. The disks in the Doors set are stamped, as virtually all true commercial disks are.
Right. Sorry for the disinformation, I plead being very sick and my brain is scrambled. Thank you for correcting my post.
I had DVD-r's in mind.

Beginning of HiFi Haven thread on subject of SACD ripping. As of today there are 1251 replies to the thread. Mikey Fresh helps anyone who asks.

I wonder if exposing an optical disc to some UV light would scavenge any incompletely cured optical adhesive and render it less reactive and make it last longer or even prevent it from attacking the lunimum for a long time or ever?

Going by memory, Morrison Hotel DVDA is the hardest one to rip and it only will rip today on my old Windows 7 machine. Miles Davis - Tutu is another disc people have trouble ripping according to a thread on SHF. My Doors origional set with peep hole show no signs of rot.

Going by memory, Morrison Hotel DVDA is the hardest one to rip and it only will rip today on my old Windows 7 machine. Miles Davis - Tutu is another disc people have trouble ripping according to a thread on SHF. My Doors origional set with peep hole show no signs of rot.

Well like Snood said mine look wonderful - cept maybe one - but even that looks great (have to look hard to notice if at all a lil discoloration under light. They just play flukey. :cautious: Would say play test a few to see.

OK, I’m a total dork. I have the DVDs, not SACD. Mine look perfect! But, probably I should give a spin.

image.jpg

With these rot issues arising in various disc formats, it now seems necessary to go back and rip the stereo layer as well as the MC. PITA...but we paid for both layers! What crap!!!

Glad I spent the time to rip the ISO on SACD which has both layers, but it appears that this format has the least amount of problems.

Beginning of HiFi Haven thread on subject of SACD ripping. As of today there are 1251 replies to the thread. Mikey Fresh helps anyone who asks.

I wonder if exposing an optical disc to some UV light would scavenge any incompletely cured optical adhesive and render it less reactive and make it last longer or even prevent it from attacking the lunimum for a long time or ever?
I think the folks who's discs are less prone to rot are the ones who live in cold climates or perhaps store their discs in a dry cold refrigerator. This would very likely slow down the disc rot.

In other words this is pretty hopeless if your set is effected.

Let's hope all sets are not effected like the EU DSOTM Immersion BluRay sets are for sure.

I think the folks who's discs are less prone to rot are the ones who live in cold climates or perhaps store their discs in a dry cold refrigerator. This would very likely slow down the disc rot.

In other words this is pretty hopeless if your set is effected.

Let's hope all sets are not effected like the EU DSOTM Immersion BluRay sets are for sure.
It is very annoying to purchase premium products like this in good faith only to have them fail years later. I have my first CDs I bought in1987 and they still play fine.

Back