My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have not checked in on that box in years? You should check. On the other hand maybe not - because there is nothing that can be done about it.
Early signs of discoloration, the disc might still be able to be copied and backed up. Of course, I'd recommend they get ripped either way.

You have not checked in on that box in years? You should check. On the other hand maybe not - because there is nothing that can be done about it.
Early signs of discoloration, the disc might still be able to be copied and backed up. Of course, I'd recommend they get ripped either way.
Yes, I did just check or else how would I say that mine are OK. Mine are original release and, until yesterday, I had not looked at the discs since I ripped them years ago.

Have to check my box when I get home. First edition 2006.

I may be wrong, but did not Rhino reissue the Perception box.........well not sure when..... but must be some 6-10 years back ?

My copy of the Perception box is also the later, compact release (Elektra/Rhino 8122-79984-8). So far, the readable areas of all six DVDs remain unblemished; however, I have a couple of worrying bubbles in the runout band on the last two albums' discs. šŸ˜¬I'm not actually sure how concerned about these I should be.

I predict we will see more Perception box sets for sale on the used market from here on out. Folks are not going to want to sit and wait and see what might happen to their discs.

Mine is the first edition release just put the info our there, no rot

I have the first edition as well. About a year or so ago (or maybe more recently) I attempted to re-rip them all (long story) and found that the computer simply wouldn't open one of them. I still had the original files, so it was only a minor annoyance at the time, but now I wonder...

I have the first edition as well. About a year or so ago (or maybe more recently) I attempted to re-rip them all (long story) and found that the computer simply wouldn't open one of them. I still had the original files, so it was only a minor annoyance at the time, but now I wonder...

I've had that issue as well with some of the R.E.M. DVD-As that came in digipaks with CDs.

Yes, I did just check or else how would I say that mine are OK. Mine are original release and, until yesterday, I had not looked at the discs since I ripped them years ago.
Very curious how you ripped them. I have and there is something that causes the ripped files from playing correctly. I know there is a long, tedious process to rip them to remove the encryption using some older versions of audio software. Do you have another way?

Very curious how you ripped them. I have and there is something that causes the ripped files from playing correctly. I know there is a long, tedious process to rip them to remove the encryption using some older versions of audio software. Do you have another way?
DVD-Audio Extractor. I had trouble with MkV and other options.

I think the only disc I don't have a rip for is my old Neil Young - Harvest. Guess I better get to it, too
Hmmm better check "Mojo" BD not sure about doing it either. Yikes!
I was backing up BD's to these "hard coat" Verbatims but they are so darned expensive but anyway it makes me wonder if this "hard coat" really preserves the discs.
There are some websites that you can download the entire disc and then burn them to a DVD-R. The funny thing is that DVD-R are probably more reliable than some commercial DVDs/BluRay discs.

Back