My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some websites that you can download the entire disc and then burn them to a DVD-R. The funny thing is that DVD-R are probably more reliable than some commercial DVDs/BluRay discs.
Ah. I agree, I hardly remember a bad burn with a DVD-R, but a fair amount with DL discs until I found what works for me. However the days of just picking "any Verbatim" and safe are over with. But what I was getting at was more that BD-R/BD-R DL disc quality, even from Verbatim is not that good. If I buy a 25 disc spindle of Verbatim BD-R DL Inkjet printable that cost me roughly $66, burn at 4x or less, I still get 3-6 coasters per spindle. I expect better.

Ah. I agree, I hardly remember a bad burn with a DVD-R, but a fair amount with DL discs until I found what works for me. However the days of just picking "any Verbatim" and safe are over with. But what I was getting at was more that BD-R/BD-R DL disc quality, even from Verbatim is not that good. If I buy a 25 disc spindle of Verbatim BD-R DL Inkjet printable that cost me roughly $66, burn at 4x or less, I still get 3-6 coasters per spindle. I expect better.
I found Japanese JVC DVD-R is extremely reliable as is Kodak for some reason

I found Japanese JVC DVD-R is extremely reliable as is Kodak for some reason
Thank you for the information. However I don't believe JVC discs are easy to find here in the U.S. ? (OK I found a 25 pk for $52 on Amazon)
Most DVD-R single layer discs burn just fine for me, even cheap ones (I usually just buy plex disc). It's when you go to double layer the problems start, whether it be DVD-R DL or BD-R DL discs. BD-R DL discs are notorious for being crap. The really good ones are expensive. Some of the best I've found are Verbatim with the label, which I bought by mistake 'cause I label mine with my printer. 3 disc pack now going for about $25!
I did find, and have bought several times some cheaper DVD-R DL discs sold by SmartBuy, These are 50 for 25$ and I have never had a coaster. Their BD DL discs I stay away from because for me the coaster rate is high.

The really good ones are expensive. Some of the best I've found are Verbatim with the label,

I have tons of those burnt at 4x that are over ten years old, stored in zero light location they all still play great

I have tons of those burnt at 4x that are over ten years old, stored in zero light location they all still play great
Here again, are you talking about BD-R DL? Those are the ones that these days are not so good in quality, if I get several coasters per 50 disc batch that's bad, to me. But some brands are approaching 1/3 coasters at times. I also had some problems with some brands of DVD-R DL but have weeded through them pretty well down to the better cost/performance ratio. I've burned about 200 BD discs in the past 2 years and prolly hundreds of DVD-r/DVD-r DL. There's lots of crap out there when you get into DL discs, and the problem is they get manufactured worse as time goes by. Some brands you won't even find in a DVD-R DL.
I'm not an authority on anything, but I've spent enough of my money to see what works for my burner and what doesn't , at least in my price range.

Here again, are you talking about BD-R DL? Those are the ones that these days are not so good in quality, if I get several coasters per 50 disc batch that's bad, to me. But some brands are approaching 1/3 coasters at times. I also had some problems with some brands of DVD-R DL but have weeded through them pretty well down to the better cost/performance ratio. I've burned about 200 BD discs in the past 2 years and prolly hundreds of DVD-r/DVD-r DL. There's lots of crap out there when you get into DL discs, and the problem is they get manufactured worse as time goes by. Some brands you won't even find in a DVD-R DL.
I'm not an authority on anything, but I've spent enough of my money to see what works for my burner and what doesn't , at least in my price range.
You know what, I totally missed "Verbatim" in that post, lol.

Verbatim DVD+R single layer
I've been using Verbatim DVD+R for many years now. They have always given me 100% reliable service. Odd coincident, the UPS man just dropped off a box with a 50 spindle from NewEgg about 10 minutes ago. Shipped to the door for $20.77, I could have got it from a different supplier for $1 or 2 cheaper but when I order from NewEgg I like to do business with them directly. Customer dedication or whatever. ;)

Unlike regular CD/DVD/BR M Disc does not use an organic AZO dye for the data layer. It takes a special burner for them but when I last priced them some time ago they didn't cost any more than regular burners, so why not? The discs are readily available I get mine at the local Microcenetr store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Unlike regular CD/DVD/BR M Disc does not use an organic AZO dye for the data layer. It takes a special burner for them but when I last priced them some time ago they didn't cost any more than regular burners, so why not? The discs are readily available I get mine at the local Microcenetr store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
Thanks, learn something every day. I was not even aware.

Scary, I've had my eye on a Perception set on Discogs. Almost pulled the trigger a few times. How common is the rot?

Scary, I've had my eye on a Perception set on Discogs. Almost pulled the trigger a few times. How common is the rot?

Seems less common on the smaller set (set without the peephole).............from what I have read. No scientific proof though, just people chiming in..........in fact not sure if anyone with the smaller set has got the defective discs. Please chime in if so. :unsure:

Paustin peruse this topic and double check - I might have missed a few but I do remember it being lopsided towards the peephole set for sure at one point even to a point that only the peepholle had the prob, but i may have missed a couple posts or more.

Last edited:
Back