My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just asking, but does anyone really care? To me the whole set is a big “meh.” Haven’t listened to the whole thing, but what I did hear, esp on the first album, is just rear ambience on every track. The mixes on other hits I sampled were inferior to Botnick’s excellent original quad mix. Don’t remember how L.A. Woman compared to the DVD-Audio.

At some point we just don’t need another mix. The Atmos version of Riders on the Storm shows just how far things can backtrack: it’s the worst mix ever for this classic.

Just asking, but does anyone really care? To me the whole set is a big “meh.” Haven’t listened to the whole thing, but what I did hear, esp on the first album, is just rear ambience on every track. The mixes on other hits I sampled were inferior to Botnick’s excellent original quad mix. Don’t remember how L.A. Woman compared to the DVD-Audio.

At some point we just don’t need another mix. The Atmos version of Riders on the Storm shows just how far things can backtrack: it’s the worst mix ever for this classic.
+1, Haven't heard the Riders mix but if all your going to get for your money is some added ambience, we can do that for free with some creative up-sampling.

I care

What I like about this set are the bonus tracks, alternate album or should I say extended tracks and the fact that Bruce Botnick created the mix. Each album is a totally different 5.1 mix. He didn't go for a universal plan to create these new mixes. It is as if he thought about what The Doors wanted the albums to sound like and not how to go crazy with 5.1. Honoring the Artist is what this is all about. Sometimes less is more.

Well, I do care considering how much I spent on that set :p, and although I agree with you on the surround mixes of the early albums, I do think the 5.1 of LA Woman is quite good. Riders on the storm sounds better in 5.1 than in quad for me. I’m not particularly fond of the Doors quad mixes, unfortunately. I thought the mixing approach was wrong, just spreading instruments across four speakers with questionable results in terms of sound field and how all gels together. They sound disjointed to me. I might be in the minority here :)

Wow. I can't disagree more with the last few opinions here. I love both the Best of... mixes and this box set. Yes the self titled first album isn't good but the rest, especially the later albums, are excellent.

All I can say is that I finally have proof my set, ordered from a chinese seller. I think that while it goes against my ethics, at least it seems not to rot yet.... I haven't played them all after all this time. I get lazy and put the Best of on quadradisc and veg out.

What I like about this set are the bonus tracks, alternate album or should I say extended tracks and the fact that Bruce Botnick created the mix. Each album is a totally different 5.1 mix. He didn't go for a universal plan to create these new mixes. It is as if he thought about what The Doors wanted the albums to sound like and not how to go crazy with 5.1. Honoring the Artist is what this is all about. Sometimes less is more.
Absolutely. Moreover, while I'm immensely grateful that the Best Of... quad mix was made available again in recent years, I enjoy so many more of The Doors' tracks than that LP could carry (When The Music's Over and L.A. Woman, for instance). :cool: I guess I'm just glad to have this box.

I went through and checked all of my DVD discs in my Perception box today. As I mentioned in an early post, I had issues with my Strange Days dvd disc when I originally bought my set second-hand. Luckily after checking today, it seems all of the other DVD discs are still playing fine in my set.

I went through and checked all of my DVD discs in my Perception box today. As I mentioned in an early post, I had issues with my Strange Days dvd disc when I originally bought my set second-hand. Luckily after checking today, it seems all of the other DVD discs are still playing fine in my set.

Awesome - Big Box or the smaller one? :unsure:

I don't think it is fair to assess all of the Perception set surround mixes based on the 5.1 mix of the first album. I think one has to keep in mind that for some albums they may have only been recorded on three or four track tape. There is only so much an engineer can do to mix an album in 5.1 when they may only have three or four tracks to work with. Also, just because you have four tracks to work with, it doesn't mean that you have every instrument isolated in each track, you may mave multiple instruments bounced onto the same track, so there is only so much actual seperation one can extract for a surround mix, without getting into digital tools to try to isolate tracks or faux-surround.

In the case of The Doors' first album, Bruce Botnick has said it was recorded on four track, though he mentions (in this article: SoundBard – Bruce Botnick on the Perception of Surround Sound and Harnessing The Doors’ Hi-Res Audio Fire) that the way it was originally recorded really only gave him three tracks to work with for most songs for that album, with the exception of "The End", where Botnick mentions that for that song they had every member of the band isloated on an individual track of the 4 track tape. Botnick even says in the interview that starting with the Doors' second album, Strange Days, they moved up to 8-track, which gave him much more to work with for surround mixing the rest of the albums:

"Botnick: Oh yeah. When we got into the second album and beyond, we were into 8-track. I could position things in the rear speakers. I feel when people go out and get a surround disc, they should get a surround disc. Bring the neighbors over to hear a surround system! If there’s nothing coming out of the surround speakers but reverb, it’s a disappointment."

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:
These Doors 5.1 albums have come out on DVD-A, then SACD. They are obviously popular titles to this day. One wonders why in the hell can't they be added to the HDTracks library and sold as 24/96 5.1 downloads? They can't take up that much space, heck, look at some of the titles they offer. Hard to believe some of those would sell more than a few hundred downloads.

If these could be had from HDTracks, any rot issues would be seriously lessened, as even though the buyer would be out the original purchase, the source would still be available going forward.

These Doors 5.1 albums have come out on DVD-A, then SACD. They are obviously popular titles to this day. One wonders why in the hell can't they be added to the HDTracks library and sold as 24/96 5.1 downloads? They can't take up that much space, heck, look at some of the titles they offer. Hard to believe some of those would sell more than a few hundred downloads.

If these could be had from HDTracks, any rot issues would be seriously lessened, as even though the buyer would be out the original purchase, the source would still be available going forward.
Yes, and maybe, maybe, even introduce some folks to the fact there's a whole new world of surround music available. (We need all the converts we can get!)

Back