My DVD-A Project - Original material

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, if during the mix process the fidelity had been screwed up by mixing together incompatible elements of the sound,
then i'm afraid nothing can be improved by remastering of existent mix. the new remix from original multis would be more
easier way to fix the problem in such case.

Considering what I heard, and the amount of limiting that was applied at the original mastering, I'm confident we can improve upon it.

Here is a snippet from a new song in the very beginning of production:

https://soundcloud.com/mike-vieira/mm-illusions-intro-through-chorus-demo-drums-and-guitar

I wouldn't get too hung up on any sonics - this is just a rough sketch to get bandmates familiar with the song. This is just drums and guitar.
I'm really excited about this song. It's been forming in my heart and mind for many years. There are several demos out there, but the song just didn't totally work.
I think now is the right time to complete it (in terms of influences, skills, mood, attitude, etc.)
This is only the intro through chorus 1. There are some musical twists and turns not yet revealed!

"This is the test to prove whether your mission on Earth is finished:
If you're still alive, it isn't..."

Hey all, I want to post a bit of an update and also get some advice and opinions.

Right now, the team is more or less in the testing phase. I am pouring over the archives, organizing, compiling the best tracks for songs and deciding what material needs to be re-recorded.
Some of the acoustic stuff, like guitars and vocals, wasn't recorded very well. Everything that can be improved, within my control, will be.

Principle mixing is slated to begin in January. I think it might be cool (koo) to publicly post a "5.1 single" FLAC download of, say, a proggy song and a poppy song or something along those lines.
They would be "finished" with the understanding that maybe minor tweaks would occur once all the other songs are done.
And along those lines, I would also want to be able to privately send a team of testers mixes as they progress (when Thomas agrees, of course), so, if you have interest in receiving test mixes, let me know.

The project is tentatively called "Magnets & Miracles." I don't think that is a copyright problem, though it is an homage to a Pink Floyd lyric. Maybe Andy Jackson would know?
I'd like to lock down that title when I can, so I can start the artwork process.

I have some bonus video content in the works...

What else? Is this the best forum/sub forum, etc. to post this information in? Is there a better way to reach QQers who might like to know this project is in the works, but who would never find this thread?
Any ideas about spreading the word would be greatly appreciated. Eventually, socialization and outreach will need to extend beyond QQ, but I think it would be good to wait until there is at least a maxi-single.

Also, I've only gotten one response on favorite songs from the candidate list. Please listen when you can and let me know what you like! The Soundcloud playlist is in one of the posts above.

Without this forum, and the way this community supports unknowns who are passionate about surround, I don't think this project would be happening.

Thank you all! :banana:

He Mike, good to read about the progress so far and in the near future. Sounds promising.

QQ is the best way to spread the word. Tim (timbre4) might want to write about it on the QQ facebook page.

Perhaps the Stevehoffman forum too, as surround seems to get more accepted over there.

When you do a physical release it would be interesting to see if Burning Shed wants to distribute. They have a large out reach I guess.

Next week I have more free time and will give the playlist another listen. I am interested in helping and doing some test listens once you reached rhe mixing stage. Just lt me know at that time.

Good luck with the project.

Sorry for the long delay, all. I hope to have a mix out for critique soon. Unfortunately, I caught a terrible cold just before a session to rerecord the main vocals. The good news is that means I'm updating anything I hear that needs to sound better.
Bad news is health can cause delays.
Meanwhile, I'm working ahead on other tracks.
The song is Your Religion. So far, everyone who has heard it locally says it's a massive improvement over the 2009 mix.
There will be some alternate lead guitar parts (I never liked the buzz-saw-toned ones) and a slightly (better) different approach to some vocals.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the track you did with Plan9 :music

A solid mix, nonetheless :upthumb

The first one you posted felt a little "funky", but I understand the source material you had to work with was old and such.. :mad:@:

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the track you did with Plan9 :music

A solid mix, nonetheless :upthumb

The first one you posted felt a little "funky", but I understand the source material you had to work with was old and such.. :mad:@:

Hey JF, thanks for the feedback! It's always welcome. It would be helpful, if you recall, to mention specific songs. I might not be thinking of the same ones! :confused:
No attempts at a final mix have been posted yet, all tests. Things are sounding pretty danged good from where I'm sitting. Whether the final thing is anybody else's cup o' tea, who knows.
But I think I have decent enough ears... :mad:@:

Also, I'm still looking for "votes" on what songs folks would actually like to hear remixed. I know we're all addicted to listening to as much existing awesome surround as possible, but I need some help bringing some new stuff to life!

The candidate songs are mainly here:

https://soundcloud.com/mike-vieira/sets/magnets-miracles

For those that give super-helpful feedback, that's album liner notes material right there... :banana: (y)

:slap: recap: The track I liked you did with Plan9 is Disturbing the Universe. I first listened to it the day it was posted (long before registering). I think the surround part of the mix could be a little more aggressive, but if I remember correctly, you later said you were experimenting on that (panning toms, and such).

The other that I mentionned as the first one, was called something like: If we had 3 sexes. I thought the subject matter was funny, and the song's mood reminded me of Barenaked Ladies. The mix though, well... you did what you could with old material as you said. :yikes

I'll be more helpful now that I can actually reply :brew

One thing I thought, though, is that if you have to redo drums, and don't have access to a studio, or a well miked drum, there's always Toontrack's EZDrummer that's a kickass virtual drum kit to work with in surround. I can let you hear my results if you'd like (would have to share a private link, though). But if you like the "surround imaging" of PT's Fear of a Blank Planet, it's pretty close... It's another sound and tone, but the surround part...

PM me if you wanna hear it !

:slap: recap: The track I liked you did with Plan9 is Disturbing the Universe. I first listened to it the day it was posted (long before registering). I think the surround part of the mix could be a little more aggressive, but if I remember correctly, you later said you were experimenting on that (panning toms, and such).

The other that I mentionned as the first one, was called something like: If we had 3 sexes. I thought the subject matter was funny, and the song's mood reminded me of Barenaked Ladies. The mix though, well... you did what you could with old material as you said. :yikes

I'll be more helpful now that I can actually reply :brew

One thing I thought, though, is that if you have to redo drums, and don't have access to a studio, or a well miked drum, there's always Toontrack's EZDrummer that's a kickass virtual drum kit to work with in surround. I can let you hear my results if you'd like (would have to share a private link, though). But if you like the "surround imaging" of PT's Fear of a Blank Planet, it's pretty close... It's another sound and tone, but the surround part...

PM me if you wanna hear it !

Ok, I'm trackin with ya now. Fwiw, 3 Sexes was done with Audacity as a test in a couple hours. I think it can be greatly improved. I hope to avoid rerecording drums, but if the need arises I'll keep your idea in mind!

Hey Baggy !

Just had a blast listening to your project's "contenders".. :music Here's what I thought on my first listen (made a list of my favorite tracks):

Illusions: Works great as an instrumental, was kinda missing the bassline, but didn't feel the need for vocals.

Break you: I like the raw sound and approach, the guitar solo at 2:28 comes in nicely, the break at 2:57 makes a perfect bridge before the track's finale.

Your Religion: Killer riffs, heartbreaking melody, nice use of the wah pedal!, all-in-all a good contender for Magnets and Miracles.

The Most Dangerous Game: 3/4 !!!, good contrasting riffs (my favorite is the one at 0:14 that's repeated throughout the song), nice ending (was afraid to hear a fade-out when I saw the waveform, can't stand those).

Ecstasy and Agony: Love it, would like a hear a version with a "megaphone" (lo-fi) effect on some vocal parts, leaving the clean full-range sound for the chorus only, to create contrast.

Shadows: Abolutely lovely! though this is the type of song I'd rather have a woman sing the main part (manly men can't cry, you know :yikes ), with the harmonies and momentums sung by "the guy").

Open Up the Door: That's radio and "encore" material! I'd drop the piano line in the 2:22-2:29 riff though (same for when it comes back at the ending). My only gripe about the piano, really.. it's perfect for the rest of the track!

Disturbing the Universe: No wonder you did your first tests on this one.. Just love progressive approach! Could be an alternate title for the album, would do a great title track!

The Seattleite: Just LOVE this track! So peaceful and soothing.. another with a cool prog vibe.. and a perfect ending.

Vital Signs: Hey guys... Where JF? In the slam pit I think.. That one has me head bangin'! Love the 3:32-onward part.

Well, that's sums it up for my favs of the bunch. But, as you said recently.. there's no accounting for taste! I'm sure others have different things to say, and a different selection of favorites.

HTH,

Back