My Man Cave Dream....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All
I started about 3 years ago for my retirement it`s a garage & man cave separate from the main house, it took this long because of bureaucratic locall Council permits and changing of by-laws.

I finally got the go ahead and started the build, then came along the ---- covid 19 virus ---- and stopped the final stage of the build we her in New Zealand are in lock down...?????????

So here are some photos of the the beginning till now, "stage 1"
I`ll come back in a month or so ??????? with "stage 2" and final "stage 3".
BBQ...

20180315_144703 (2).jpg
20191001_112908.jpg

20191001_150614.jpg
20191127_161728.jpg

20200115_170658.jpg
20200124_163152.jpg

20200218_105803.jpg
20200320_192612.jpg

20200322_132912.jpg
20200326_125318.jpg

I love custom builds! I've done 3 of them myself. What will be the finished cave dimensions? Where is the door to the cave? It looks like there's about a meter between the house and the structure, and a window that is now blocked. Do you have a plan to use the space between the buildings? What activities will the room be used for, other than music?

Hi. All
I started about 3 years ago for my retirement it`s a garage & man cave separate from the main house, it took this long because of bureaucratic locall Council permits and changing of by-laws.

I finally got the go ahead and started the build, then came along the ---- covid 19 virus ---- and stopped the final stage of the build we her in New Zealand are in lock down...?????????

BBQ...

View attachment 47855View attachment 47856
View attachment 47857View attachment 47858
View attachment 47859View attachment 47860
View attachment 47861View attachment 47862
View attachment 47863View attachment 47864
Decisive - No half measures at your place.

Hi. All

BBQ...

Awesome! It's gonna be so cool once it's finished!

Hi. All

BBQ...

My cousins in Australia just have their sheds, this is so much more!

Awesome! I bought some acoustic batts for my recent two music room renovations. Did you use anything like that?

I cut out circles (for my ceiling speakers), cut them in half to squeeze through the 8” holes then placed other pieces I cut on top of the batt holes. These were about 4” thick and fitted snuggly between the rafters for a good seal. The ceiling speakers fitted from below, within my room.

I was born in NZ (Wellington) lived there until I was 24. Never heard of Waitakere. Where is it?

Hi. All

I hope everybody is ok getting into routines in the lock down.

The ruff dimensions of the man cave is 6.8m about 22.30 foot by 5.8m about 19.02 foot..

My original speakers 4 off are a ATI magazine design which were based on Philips drivers I have recapped the cross over network and refoam the speaker drivers still sounding great 30 odd years old heavy as hell...these will be connected to my vintage Sansui receivers through a switch box

pic philips.jpg

My new speakers are …...polk Signature S55 4 off.... centre speaker polk S30..... Sub Wharfedale Powercube 12a these will be connected to my Denon Receiver

Polk-2stands.jpg

g107SiGS30W-F.jpg

192741-wharfedale_powercube_12a_powered_subwoofer_pc12a.jpg

I am a vintage Sansui man I have about 9 units and am going to have them all connected through switch box to be able to turn on any given time.

I have not gone down the road to Dolby Atmos as most of my music is analog
Quad LP`s Reel to Reel Q4 & Q8. I do have a collection of Sacd`s which will play through my Denon unit.

I will most likely be fine tuning the set up for some time to get things right...????when it happens...

BBQ.... be safe to all.....
PS. There is a walk way from the garage door between the house & garage to sliding door at the other end from there will be a small deck to steps to the back of the house..

Last edited:
Awesome! I bought some acoustic batts for my recent two music room renovations. Did you use anything like that?

I cut out circles (for my ceiling speakers), cut them in half to squeeze through the 8” holes then placed other pieces I cut on top of the batt holes. These were about 4” thick and fitted snuggly between the rafters for a good seal. The ceiling speakers fitted from below, within my room.

I was born in NZ (Wellington) lived there until I was 24. Never heard of Waitakere. Where is it?

Hi. HomerJAU

Well from Wellington the windy Capital of NZ I was born in Hamilton.
Well..... where is Waitakere its been gobbled up into the Super City Auckland.

Here is New Zealand first.
1.jpg

Waitakere
2.jpg

Auckland City
auckland city.jpg

Scenic tours

Lion Rock....Piha surf beach
G0015997-1200x674.jpg

Close to Piha
3.jpg

4.jpg

Waitakere Ranges
WaitakereRanges-2.jpg

Waitakere_Ranges.jpg

Some of the things to do in the greater Waitakere..
BBQ....

Back