My Quadraphonic q4 Reel to Reel Collection

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sashaaa

Hey everyone. Early this year I decided to start collecting quadraphonic reel to reel's. Whenever a title popped up that I really liked for a (relatively) good price I'd grab it, and since they're pretty rare I only bought one a month at most. Just thought as the year is ending it'd be nice to post a bit about my collection I've built up so far.
20221231_143445.jpg

The list of releases from left to right is:
Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (got this one for xmas!)
Bread - The Best of Bread
Carly Simon - No Secrets
The Doors - The Best of The Doors
The Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me
Frank Sinatra - Greatest Hits Vol. 2
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Randy Newman - Sail Away

Really excited to get my quad tape deck so that I can finally listen to all of these!

Hey everyone. Early this year I decided to start collecting quadraphonic reel to reel's. Whenever a title popped up that I really liked for a (relatively) good price I'd grab it, and since they're pretty rare I only bought one a month at most. Just thought as the year is ending it'd be nice to post a bit about my collection I've built up so far.
View attachment 86899

Carly Simon - No Secrets
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Randy Newman - Sail Away

Really excited to get my quad tape deck so that I can finally listen to all of these!
Did you decide on a deck yet?

and I'm excited for ya, especially for that Randy Newman (y)

do you feel comfortable revealing an average price paid on these?

Did you decide on a deck yet?

and I'm excited for ya, especially for that Randy Newman (y)

do you feel comfortable revealing an average price paid on these?
Yeah a forum member here actually was willing to part with his teac 2340 so I decided to go with that! I'm especially excited for that randy newman one as well, amazing album. Aqualung and At Fillmore East are also big ones I'm excited for.

Also yeah I'm cool with mentioning what they tended to cost. To be honest it varied wildly depending on the album. I'd say the average would be from $150 to $200, but some were cheaper and some were more expensive. A Question of Balance and No Secrets I got for around $50 each, while Aqualung cost me $350 which is about the most expensive.

Any title that did not get a later digital disc release would be highest priority imo. Albums with no DTS. NO DVD, or SACD released.

Carly Simon - No Secrets

Randy Newman - Sail Away

View attachment 86899

Carly Simon - No Secrets
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Randy Newman - Sail Away

Great collection. Especially a rare Doors GH. But no Gordon Lightfoot or Jim Croce?

Any updates on how the reels sound on your new machine?
They sound great (the ones that will play at least)! Unfortunately some of them have fallen victim to sticky shed syndrome (specifically randy newman, aqualung and allman brothers). It's a shame because those were probably my favorite titles out of my collection. Regardless though, there's something really special in playing music on reel to reel. I would probably like to upgrade my machine at some point, but that will have to wait until a bit later. I think from now on I'm going to only buy tapes that have been tested.

View attachment 86899

Carly Simon - No Secrets
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Randy Newman - Sail Away

Very nice core group of titles! I think quantity wise you and I pretty much match... and consider I started my collection in the late 70's!

I have all of the Moody Blues Q4 tapes, Laura, & Scheherazade. Yup, that's it except for the Sony Quadradial demo tape that came with my machine.

Lookin' forward to your expansion! Put 'em on digital as soon as you can.

Edit: I'd like to point out that when I bought these new (from Barclay-Crocker I think) they were only about $30. But inflation adjusted they probably go for about the prices you've paid today!

Last edited:
Very nice core group of titles! I think quantity wise you and I pretty much match... and consider I started my collection in the late 70's!

I have all of the Moody Blues Q4 tapes, Laura, & Scheherazade. Yup, that's it except for the Sony Quadradial demo tape that came with my machine.

Lookin' forward to your expansion! Put 'em on digital as soon as you can.

Edit: I'd like to point out that when I bought these new (from Barclay-Crocker I think) they were only about $30. But inflation adjusted they probably go for about the prices you've paid today!
Yeah that sounds about correct! Getting all of those moody tapes is one of my goals which I'll hopefully get to someday!

They sound great (the ones that will play at least)! Unfortunately some of them have fallen victim to sticky shed syndrome (specifically randy newman, aqualung and allman brothers). It's a shame because those were probably my favorite titles out of my collection. Regardless though, there's something really special in playing music on reel to reel. I would probably like to upgrade my machine at some point, but that will have to wait until a bit later. I think from now on I'm going to only buy tapes that have been tested.
Congratulations on your quad collection, I’m very jealous!, I agree that discrete quad on reels is amazing!!!

If you are considering a playback equipment upgrade, check out Otari MX5050 BQII, TEAC A3440, or Ampex ATR800-4. All great performers, however this particular model Ampex 1/2” quad wouldn't be of use to you for playing 1/4” pre-recorded consumer tapes. For this reason, mine has been converted to 1/4” two track only, I could still return it back to quad, but 1/2” tape is so expensive. I do have a second ATR800, but I’m not sure how I will use it.

It’s great that all your quad tapes are 7.5” IPS!!!
Note: There are several methods to bake or restore those problematic old reels, and many articles have been written on exactly how to do that. That’s if they are not too far gone.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your quad collection, I’m very jealous!, I agree that discrete quad on reels is amazing!!!

If you are considering a playback equipment upgrade, check out Otari MX5050 BQII, TEAC A3440, or Ampex ATR800-4. All great performers, however this particular model Ampex 1/2” quad wouldn't be of use to you for playing 1/4” pre-recorded consumer tapes. For this reason, mine has been converted to 1/4” two track only, I could still return it back to quad, but 1/2” tape is so expensive. I do have a second ATR800, but I’m not sure how I will use it.

It’s great that all your quad tapes are 7.5” IPS!!!
Note: There are several methods to bake or restore those problematic old reels, and many articles have been written on exactly how to do that. That’s if they are not too far gone.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely need to check out those machines once I get some more cash. I do remember reading about some methods to restore/bake tapes but I don't remember how effective they were. I'll need to look into those when I get a chance. Also yep, 7.5 IPS is absolutely the way to go!

Noticed this recomendation as I was really looking for this. Thank you for writing about it here. If I am writing off-topic, may the OP author forgive me

Back