My Seagate 4TB HDD from Dec 2020 has suddenly died, Any suggestions?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you even get a new HGST branded drive?

WDC fully acquired it six years ago when it was given the go ahead from the Chinese to merge the product lines ( an issue with competition... go figure that one out )...

The WDC Ultrastar and Enterprise "gold" are the current result. I'm not quite sure if the larger Red/Red Pros... but R&D was merged about 7 years ago.

I think all new HGST drives now are WD branded since some time. They could use HGST name as a reminder of the origin for marketing purposes.

Original HGST manufactured/branded that are selling now could be refurbished units. No problem with that, but I personally have never bought anyting second hand.

So far. I have bought only new but I agree about buying refurb or 2nd hand for such products.

Even though I said "today" I have to assume that it will be running into tonight. I'm doing it old school (because I don't know a better way to do it)...grabbing all the "A" artists and dragging across to another drive. Yeah, yeah...whatever. I'm a rookie.
If you're a Mac user, SuperDuper! by shirt Pocket is excellent for local backups.

Back