My top 10 Atmos tracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Ok. So I have been listening to quite a bit of Atmos encoded music via Tidal and Apple Music. (Well in fact hours- Apple TV 4K is the best thing I have bought in ages)

After these many hours, I thought I would post my favourite tracks and a brief comment as to the reasons why.

I have confined the favourites to one album only- if they reside in Album format, that is.

So here is my top 10 - in no particular order:

1. Butter (instrumental)- BTS. Butter (Instrumental) by BTS

Who would've thought that K-Pop could sound so good? Well actually, somewhat OK- to the extent that I turned the vocal off. A reference quality mix that is very discrete, with a lot of rear channel music. A solid bass line. And a tune that stops and starts on a dime. A really fun mix that can be enjoyed in both the vocal mix and the intrumental, but the latter gets my nod- as it enables you to enjoy the fine details of what is a great Atmos test. (My kids actually put me on to this band. They even have have a BTS chicken nugget meal at MacDonalds here in Australia... Just a bit of pointless trivia for you. Talk about cross marketing).

2. Jaguar: Victoria Monet. Jaguar by Victoria Monét

This lady must have one hell of a libido as she loves singing about 'gettin' it on- and has the majority of her albums lyrical content devoted to it.. 'Jaguar' is a fine eg. of this as pointed out by a fellow QQ member that the lyrics to this song are very suggestive, and stacked full of innuendo. However this track is wonderfully mixed, bringing out the smooth tone of her vocals in all channels surrounding the listener, with a killer bass line. Love listening to this track as it makes my set-up sing. Give it a try. I am pretty sure you will agree.

3. Out of Sight- Yello. Out Of Sight by Yello.

What a fun album! You know an album is great when you really struggle to choose your best. I am probably going to attract a few comments suggesting that another track on this album is their favourite, however it is a pure treat to listen to the whole compilation of tracks - as you could mount a case for each of them being their fav's as they all are reference quality. This track is my favourite on the album, because I always get a kick out of how the vocal shifts both left and right to the lyrics that state the same. If I was to show off my surround set-up I would go to this album first. I could select all the tracks, however as I indicated above, I have decided to confine the top 10 to one track per album. A real show case of Atmos.

4. PERSONAL SHOPPER- Steven Wilson. PERSONAL SHOPPER by Steven Wilson.

What surround list would it be without Mr Wilson? This track attracted it's fair bit of criticism in pre- release posts- so I wasn't expecting much. However I actually enjoyed it when listening to it on Atmos. Not the greatest mix out there, but certainly worthy of being in the top 10. Probably my favourite on the album, hence why it is here.

5. Boom- Tiesto & Sevenn. BOOM by Tiësto & Sevenn.

Another fun to listen to track. Want sounds jumping out of 11 speakers in a radius around the room? Then this one is your panacea. A great pulsing bass filled drum beat at the front and sounds jumping out all around you. The mixer definitely had no fears on this one, as it certainly is not a conservative mix.

6. drivers license- Olivia Rodrigo. drivers license by Olivia Rodrigo.

A real slow burn song this one. (You will be wondering in the first minute or so why I picked it.) However it is a tragic love song, that when the voices surround you when it drops the expletive 'I just f***ing love you babe', it really has some emotional impact. A good example of how you can use Atmos on a more intimate side, that is a good vehicle for conveying emotion. (By the way if you want the non-explicit version, listen to the track on Tidal). The equivalent to watching a 'chick flick' for the dudes out there, but is surprisingly impactful.

7. Comes then goes- Pearl Jam. Comes Then Goes by Pearl Jam.

Ok on the opposite end of the scale from the prior track, now for some machismo. This one is on the list because it makes you feel in the room with the band- which when it comes to Pearl Jam has a degree of awe-inspiring-ness. (yes, I just created a word). Somewhat acoustic, and makes you feel like you have the band in the flesh in your theatre set-up. I don't think I would've enjoyed this album so much if it wasn't for ATMOS. It stacks up with their best, because of it.

8. Sucker- Jonas Brothers. Sucker by Jonas Brothers.

I have heard this song numerous times on the radio on plain ol' vanilla stereo. It really comes to life with ATMOS. You should hear hand clapping behind you, a strong sense of dynamism, and a great build up to the chorus. Then a nice airy whistle at the end of it that seems to just float in the sky. Another fun track that adds some life to pop music. I love ATMOS for it's ability to bring contemporary tracks that are recently released to the surround format in a blistering discrete mix. Just google latest top 10 tracks and the new ATMOS mixed tracks, and you will see a correlation there that has never been the same until perhaps the 70's with Quad. It is bringing new life, to an otherwise dying format.

9. Dancing in the living room- Jack Savoretti. Dancing In The Living Room by Jack Savoretti.

This track brings the disco to the home. Not always my go to track, but always gets my foot tapping each time I play it. Not a very well known artist here in Australia, so I would probably have never listened to this guy had it not been for ATMOS. A good mix that brings out the energy and vibe of the track. I can't imagine enjoying it so much if it was in stereo only.

10. Angie- Rolling Stones. Angie (2020) by The Rolling Stones.

Nice crystalline guitar coming from the left front channels. Good intimate vocals. Piano on the right. Strings kick in- and have an impact in the rears and front. Rolling Stones, sounding fresh. What is not to like?

Ok so probably missed out heaps. Apologies to Biilie Eilish, 070 Shake, Sergio Vallin, Laura Mvula, Lianne La Havas, AFFKt, Kraftwerk and others.

Would love to hear what is in your top 10, and why.

Hopefully this serves as a good starting point for those new to the format- like me.

Have fun.

Last edited:
1. The Temptations - "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)"
2. Tom Petty - "You Don't Know How It Feels"
3. Sheryl Crow - "All I Wanna Do"
4. DNCE - "Cake By The Ocean"
5. Sean Mendes & Camila Cabello - "Senorita" (I love how they split the two singers front & rear on this one)
6. Mr. Big - "To Be With You"
7. Imagine Dragons - "Believer"
8. Olivia Rodrigo - "Jealousy Jealousy"
9. Keane - "Somewhere Only We Know"
10. R.E.M. - "Find The River"

Most of those tracks I have never heard of the artist. (A few I have).
How does Atmos work streaming wise. Is it a couple of tracks with steering information. I was under the impression , possibly erroneous that it needed a lot of bandwidth. I do see the point of it for movies (which would not make me get my wallet out) but for mainly classical music interest I haven't seen too much. I think I want the discs and not for $300. (I know I am an old curmudgeon you don't need to tell me) :LOL:

:unsure: going by the posts on other streaming threads, how long will any of the top 10 remain on a/any site?

In just lurking around reading these Atmos threads dont have atmos, dont have height speakers dont have Atmos compatible AVR or even hdmi....and id love to hear some of these but my wallet n intuition just keeps screaming at me atm BE HAPPY W WHAT U GOT.

A 5.1 system some discs n old ass pioneer avr thats paid for n works

N why is apple tv4k sooo expensive damn near $200 for a streaming stick roku was only 25 bucks

Think ill wait some more since content on tidal n apple is having difficulty but its new...give it 6+ more months to see if the bugs n contracts work themselves out.

Most of those tracks I have never heard of the artist. (A few I have).
How does Atmos work streaming wise. Is it a couple of tracks with steering information. I was under the impression , possibly erroneous that it needed a lot of bandwidth. I do see the point of it for movies (which would not make me get my wallet out) but for mainly classical music interest I haven't seen too much. I think I want the discs and not for $300. (I know I am an old curmudgeon you don't need to tell me) :LOL:
Atmos streams via a DD+ lossy coding so therefore bandwidth can be more on the limited side.

As far as classical music although I don’t listen much, there is quite a bit of content out there. For what I have listened to, again limited experience - others may have better experiences, it’s mostly front stage with the backs and heights more ambiance and reflections

Atmos streams via a DD+ lossy coding so therefore bandwidth can be more on the limited side.

As far as classical music although I don’t listen much, there is quite a bit of content out there. For what I have listened to, again limited experience - others may have better experiences, it’s mostly front stage with the backs and heights more ambiance and reflections

Agree with Eric's assessment--although a couple of titles (the new Max Richter album, John Luther Adams's Arctic Dreams) are exceptions to the rule, and I think they're available on both Tidal and Apple Music. As for Atmos "classical" titles on optical disc: you can't go wrong with pretty much any title on the 2L or Sono Luminus labels.

I wonder if some of the upmixed remasters are just done as batch files. (on the streaming sources)

I went over to PureAudio and there were EDIT: Not 15 but 120 classical blue rays and aboutEDIT:not two but four or five I was interested in.
STILL, Not enough to start cutting the plaster in my ceilings.

Last edited:
I wonder if some of the upmixed remasters are just done as batch files. (on the streaming sources)

I went over to PureAudio and there were EDIT: Not 15 but 120 classical blue rays and aboutEDIT:not two but four or five I was interested in.
STILL, Not enough to start cutting the plaster in my ceilings.
I have got height speakers on brackets which i am more than happy with. No need to cut holes in ceilings if you don’t want to. Some of the classical titles are the first I have been impressed with surround recordings as they are more immersive.

OK. So it has been 9 days since my first Top 10 Atmos tracks. Times have changed- for the better!

Here is my next 10 tracks to check out

1. She's a super Lady: Luther Vandross.

Apple Music: She's a Super Lady by Luther Vandross

This album blew my mind when I first heard it on ATMOS. Never listened to it prior- but always knew that Luther Vandross was quite a respected vocalist. The bass playing on this track is simply the best. I have over 1000 tracks in Hi Rez surround sound, and I reckon this bass track is of the highest fidelity, and best playing that I am aware of. Then the backing vocal kick in via the rear speakers and it takes the song to a new level. I was so blown away by this mix- that I am still curious as to who mixed it? Had me thinking Elliot Schiener and Steve Wilson got together via IVF and created a new surround mixing love child. For an old album dating back to the early 80's the mixer breathed new life into the music. I could easily pick the track 'A House is Not a Home' for the virtuoso vocal performance of Luther. So happy to have access to this Album. Unfortunately not on Tidal that I am aware of (yet).

2. Coastin': Victoria Monet

https://music.apple.com/au/album/coastin/1576642720?i=1576642721
Yes. She made it to my next list. This time on a single. I didn't know how to copy and paste the lyrics on this one, so I included an image. She's at it again. I have included the lyrics as it has a favourite part of the mix that occurs when she sings "i'ma make it go North, South, East, West"- the vocal shifts to the North (front), South (rears), East (Right), West (Left). Sounds pretty cool. Really like her voice, as it has great midrange qualities. Nice tune, and new music to boot, with a bit of surround novelty.

3. It Could Be: Armin van Buuren & Inner City

https://music.apple.com/au/album/it-could-be/1478925861?i=1478926061Tidal: https://tidal.com/browse/track/153130975

I sampled this Album's first couple of tracks when I first signed up for Tidal trial. The first couple didn't grab me, but I have delved back into it and was quite impressed- particularly the tracks that are on album 2 which contain some very aggressive mixes. According to better sources than myself. Armin Van Buuren is the iconic Trance Electronica producer of the present, and here he goes back in time and teams up with Old School House techno group: Inner City. For those that aren't aware Inner City was part of the Techno House movement of the late Eighties and they have a landmark song for the genre "Good Life" (Good Life). So this is an ATMOS mix of recently released trance electronica and late 80's house, that really works. So a melding of the old and the new. This track is off the Balance Album which is vast running at 28 tracks for a duration of 2:09:47. If you want to sample more, try the track 'Turn it up' (https://tidal.com/browse/track/153130990) which has crazy beats per minute, and very wild ATMOS mixing. Trance is a more hypnotic form of Electronic music, and on this ATMOS mix it kinda feels like diffferent frequencies are mixed between the floor standing speakers, and the heights. Quite a different experience, and worth checking out. If you are interested in trance music check out old school album by Jam & Spoon: Tripomatic Fairytales 2001. (This would be quite wild if it was mixed in ATMOS- particularly: "Path of Harmony" https://tidal.com/browse/track/24182458).

4. Hush: The Maria's

Apple: Hush by The Marías.
Tidal: Couldn't find it. Album is there but I don't know if it is in Atmos?

An album that has some great smooth vocals from front lady Maria Zardoya. On this track she teams up vocally with her partner Josh Conway whom sings lower in pitch. I generally like this album and listened to it immediately after the 1st trial. This track is a standout because of it's more creative mix. A bit of psychedelia at play as the write up on Apple Music states that on one of the tracks they were reminiscing on the time during Covid lockdowns when the dropped LSD. Was quite surprised by this frank admission.

5. Why you no love me: John Mayer

Apple: Why You No Love Me by John Mayer.
Tidal: not in ATMOS.

The album that came and disappeared on Apple Music, but is now back on and is mixed by a fellow QQ member. A bit of speculation that the mix had changed, which I suspect it may have (I'm sure this could be confirmed), but I do like the current surround treatment as it lifts the timbre of the instruments, particularly lead guitar. A nice dreamy mix, with subtle lead guitar bends in the background and John's smooth vocal delivery. Nice backup vocals by John ("Don't you know I want you") that appear in rear speakers soon after chorus. And a nice chilled lead guitar solo near the tracks end.

6. Don't you know about me: Jungle

Apple: What D'You Know About Me? by Jungle
Tidal: Don't think it features yet.

This is lifted from the ATMOS encoded album ironically titled "Loving in Stereo". It has a vinyl type sound to it, and has vocal arrangements in the various surround speakers recorded in a 'choral' type delivery with multiple voices delivering he lyrics. Quite a different way to go about mixing vocal tracks, which creates it's own retro type vibe. Has a bit of synth action going on in ATMOS which has enabled it to feature in my list. Apparently Jungle have been around since 2014- but this is the first time I have ever heard of them. Nice vocal spread on this track. Another ATMOS discovery.

7. Linkin Park: Cure for the Itch
Apple Music: Cure for the Itch by LINKIN PARK
Tidal: I'm pretty sure it's there, but as usual can't find link

I have Linkin Park's remixed album Reanimation on DVD-A which is formed from the nucleus of this album Hybrid Theory. I have never bothered listening to Hybrid Theory as it back then was only available in plain ol' stereo: until now. The original album that the Reanimation tunes were remixed, have quite different arrangements, and the ATMOS version really explores the ability to incorporate height elements into the mix. This track show cases scratching in the height channels that circles the listener, and other great effects. I found that the ATMOS version of this album, compared to Reanimation could be cranked up more in volume, without fatiguing the listener. I figure this is because the source of sound is a more even spread, rather than out of less speakers that have to contain a lot more volume and effects. (Both albums though are highly rated in my opinion for different reasons- and it's great to have both options now.) This release shows how Nu-metal can be mixed into ATMOS with great effect. I always felt the lead single on this album "In the End" was a bit of an anti-climax on the Reanimation version, and I preferred this track on the original now Atmos version.

8. The kill (bury me): Thirty seconds to Mars

Apple: The Kill (Bury Me) by Thirty Seconds to Mars
Tidal: Don't think it is available?

I really like then enhancement that the ATMOS mix makes to this song that was first released back in 2005. Sung and composed by movie actor Jared Leto, this song has a great spread of instrumentation with nice chiming guitars in the rear in the build up to the chorus that shows off the raw power of guitars and vocals. Seems to have an airy feel to what could be a quite dense mix in stereo. Another ATMOS achievement in enhancing existing tracks off older albums to the format.

9. Stupid Love: Lady Ga Ga

Apple Music: Stupid Love by Lady Gaga

Just a really well mixed pop song with nice synth waves spreading out from front speakers, reinforced vocals in the rears, and a soaring lead into the chorus. Warbled vocal at the fronts gives a nice variation to the mix. Nu-disco tune that gets your foot tapping involuntarily. What I reckon Donna Summers would be doing if she was around today releasing music.

10. High horse: Nelly, BRELAND & Bianco Brown

Apple Music: High Horse by Nelly, BRELAND & Blanco Brown

Fairly new release single ( I think ). Nice bass beat in rear right speaker. Nice bass line in right fronts. Think Cameo: Word Up style vocals mixed with a country twang/rap mix of a more funky "Old town" road type tune, and you have the vibe of this song. Not a mind blowing mix, but a catchy tune with a bit of Nelly rapping action mixed in. A surprisingly good funk/rap/country fusion.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 8.14.58 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 8.14.58 pm.png
    441.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
1. The Temptations - "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)"
2. Tom Petty - "You Don't Know How It Feels"
3. Sheryl Crow - "All I Wanna Do"
4. DNCE - "Cake By The Ocean"
5. Sean Mendes & Camila Cabello - "Senorita" (I love how they split the two singers front & rear on this one)
6. Mr. Big - "To Be With You"
7. Imagine Dragons - "Believer"
8. Olivia Rodrigo - "Jealousy Jealousy"
9. Keane - "Somewhere Only We Know"
10. R.E.M. - "Find The River"
About one year (and many additional speakers) later, I thought I'd update my list:
  1. Porcupine Tree - "Walk The Plank"
  2. Tears For Fears - "My Demons"
  3. Tori Amos - "29 Years"
  4. Grateful Dead - "Ripple"
  5. A-Ha - "Take On Me"
  6. Doors - "Riders On The Storm"
  7. Pineapple Thief - "137"
  8. Sarah McLachlan - "Black & White"
  9. xPropaganda - "Chasing Utopia"
  10. King Crimson - "I Talk To The Wind"

Back