Naim Unity Atom Streamer and streaming discussion.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From all that I have read, reviews, You Tube etc, the Naim Unity Atom Stereo Streamer is the best.
I was looking at this earlier in the year and noticed today the price has dropped $1600.00 to $3290.00. Of course still very pricey but usually you don't see such a big price drop in Hifi equipment.
Naim Unity Atom Spec Link
I only mention this as a strongly believe streaming music in whatever form is here to stay and there will be a high end audiophile market that will emerge.
I wonder if physical discs will go by the way side, and I laugh, only to come back 20 years from now?
I have had the Tidal subscription for awhile now and I could make a case to never purchase a CD again as the quality of the streaming company's improve and the quality of the streaming equipment improves for the high end market.
With company's like HDTracks (stereo), NativeDSD (DSD including MCH), Tidal having a limited Master Quality and limited Atmos, things are huge now compared to a year ago, the fact we are even talking about it.
Cons: There are some big ones, lack of titles in MCH and DSD rates. If you took my DSD stereo collection and my various MCH format collection, I couldn't match it via any streaming service. I personally am not one that needs a tactile format to hold and read. This is a minor problem that many digital download company's can do with an added PDF attachment, NativeDSD does this very well. Streaming comings like Tidal have artist notes that gives you the basics of the particular recording and of course if you want to go in depth there is always Wkipedia.
There is also the subject of internet connectivity, Ethernet hard wired, wireless, high end cables connectivity are the same things that will pop up with this emerging market that has always been in the HiFi world.

I currently listen to all my music from all my discs, all formats, ripped, stored in a NAS hard drive (one extra back up), played from a music player JRiver from a Intel Nuc, into an ExaSound38 MCH DAC 5.1 coax out into my AVR. This gives me a seamless listening experience in Stereo and 5.1 all FLAC, some WAV, all DSD (not 512).
I hope that the future brings this same experience from a streaming service, but I think we still have a way to go.

Maybe the idea of having a complete digital sound system with Streamers, DAC's, PC's, Modems, Internet, Wires, Player software, can I integrate this into my current system, do I need to start over again, all these questions, scare you to death to the point that you don't even want to try? I understand.

I am very interested in this subject and would love to hear agreement, disagreement, added knowledge and experience.

Back