HiRez Poll Nash, Graham - SONGS FOR SURVIVORS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Graham Nash - SONGS FOR SURVIVORS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

I hadn't listened to this one but a couple of times since i bought it quite a while ago, and didn't remember it being all that great. But about a month ago i pulled it out of the collection and was greatly surprised by great songs and a great surround mix. I listened to it 3 times in 3 days. I gave it a 9. Quite nice.

John Kotches said:
Even though this disc is only 24bit/48K it's still an outstanding recording.

I'm particularly fond of the natural timbre of GNs voice.

Cheers,
He made an argument on his website sayin that he didn't want to go higher just for the sake of it. He said if anything it would have sounded worse....more digital.

What floored me most was the awesome sound of this recording. Absolutely incredible. The songs start off great but by the middle I start getting antsy... still, a solid songwriting effort. The surround mix just makes me smile. What the heck, I gave it a 10. I can't imagine not having this title in my library.

John Kotches said:
dave:

I used the word only in italics for a reason, in other words to point out how good 24/48K sounds when done right :D

I don't necessarily agree that 24/96K sounds "more digital" but that's ok :)

Cheers,
Gotcha

Here's Graham....

The reason we did that is that the album was originally recorded at 48k/24bit. The album was also mixed and mastered in the digital domain. Since such care was taken during the recording process we felt that the sample rate conversion process that would take it to 96k was more damaging to the product than leaving it alone. Since the original medium was 48k the only reason to upsample it would have been a marketing one. To be honest the reason THAT record sounds so good is that it WASN'T released at 96k. Had the original recording been recorded at 96k then the DVD-A release would certainly have followed suit. Hope that's clear.

24/48 sounds as good as any 96/192 recordings I have. This is a great demo disk for people who are into softer acoustic stuff.

However, I rarely listen to this disk all the way through. The left-wing political victim lyrics get tiresome for me.

You have to like "Lost Another One", however, a very "Should have been a hit"-type song.

Recording: 10
Surround Mix: 10
Vocals: 10
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10

This is my first and only Nash disc.

Shame on me for keeping this disc wrapped in plastic for FIVE YEARS. I just now opened it and listened. And then played it again. And again.

SSphiles have a problem. We need to spread the word to others about great NEW MC releases. Trouble is, there aren't many. (Not surprising -- most albums released are mediocre. Why should we expect discs by middle-aged rockers past their expiration date, like Elvis Costello, to be any better?)
There are only so many new ears we can bend with Machine Head.

To have someone like Graham Nash "in our corner", still putting out prime MC product, is really more than we could have hoped for.

Like Cai, I can't imagine a MC collection without it.

mrtanner said:
24/48 sounds as good as any 96/192 recordings I have. This is a great demo disk for people who are into softer acoustic stuff.

However, I rarely listen to this disk all the way through. The left-wing political victim lyrics get tiresome for me.
As Snagulpus says,
open stage left,

Enter =reality. this disc is so good it is scary, hence you right wing rather not hear, dont know how to deal with it folks can not get real world agendas. It deals with the things you can not seem to get, like love peace and forgiveness and corporate insanity.. Sorry but the political world is not understanding the lostness felt by the corporate world mentality being enforced!! Oil is law. And until we get this fact we are doomed to right wing propaganda!!! Oh man it is so easy to see when you can see..
Right wing is so into right ways yet well,,,,,
this is what i think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Obviously there’s no way to really stop a group of people bent on demonizing dissenters by the tireless use of some all-encompassing, Satanic label. When even Nancy Pelosi can be described as a “left-wing torch-thrower” (a small California paper used that term last week), it’s pretty clear the word is more meant as an insult, to describe a fuzzy-headed refusal to accept patriotic orthodoxy, than it is to refer to a concrete set of political beliefs.

But at some point it says something about you if you allow these labels to stick. Either the left is not being very clear about the winning politics that it stands for, or else the word accurately describes a secret willingness to be constantly abused by bigots, a market niche full of bashful subscribers to Total Pussy Weekly. Because nothing else makes the American left look worse; it can’t even change your mind about its name, much less change the world.,
By Matt Taibbi
Republished from Alternet News
Most Americans don't know their right from their left ... wing. The right knows this and leads the manipulation race.

But you are still not looking beyond your soul.

Last edited:
I also don't agree with Nash's politics, but I do agree that the album is beautifully recorded and mixed - it's a reference disc. Like Flaming Lips, it shows what can be done when the artist goes into the studio with the idea of hi-rez MC sound from the start. Nash's sense of melody is just as good as it has ever been - it's definitely a case of the material living up to the technical specs. I give it a nine.

BTW, allow me to also quote Matt Taibbi, from a recent NY Press column, reason # 17 why the impending death of Pope John Paul II is funny: "In his last days, the Pope was in tremendous pain."

Loathsome. But politics is not what this forum is about, and shame on you for bringing it up. Trust the art, not the artist.

I only got this last week, and shame on me for not doing so a LOT sooner.
It's definitely a "must-buy" disc, and the 48KHz issue is a non issue, it really is.
Beautifully authored - and I like the almost "hidden" random slideshow that an be accessed instead of the lyric slideshow.
The music is exactly what I would expect (what DID happen to the long-awaited 5.1 of "Deja Vu", btw?) and stunningly executed.

Highly recommended.

It has been brickwall limited, but not excessively so. Great disc, great mix. Been enjoying it for years!

Back