Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song: Audio Fidelity Hybrid Stereo SACD (November 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the old days, MFSL and DCC used plenty of bonus tracks, so I don't know what changed.

Check out this odd comment I found on another forum: "I'm going to look at it as a positive sign that Capitol has loosened its grip on this particular title. As with other recordings that have received audiophile treatment, if it sells well enough, perhaps MFSL can take a run at it and at getting the master tapes for their treatment once AF's license expires."

Every reissue label has its fans. :)

This title is listed for $17.99 on Amazon. I wonder how much they will charge club members for it.

Any idea who mastered the album?

Here is a quote from Steve Hoffman posted in a thread about this release on his Forum a few days ago.

Kevin Gray did the mastering on this while I was working on SLY STONE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. I have not heard it yet but Kevin is the King Mastering Masterer so I'm sure it will be good. He used the stereo analog tape as a source. Note that The Christmas Song on the album is the very version that Kevin and I remixed from the 3 track for "The Nat King Cole Story" box set.

Ordered!

But 'The Christmas Song' is on the 'The Nat King Cole Story' SACD set I have; I was wondering why the cut sheet pushes this line "This is the first time The Christmas Song will be on Hybrid SACD".

Is this version somehow different?

When Marshall wrote This is the first time The Christmas Song will be on Hybrid SACD, he meant the album, not the song.

Another suggestion for a 4.0 SACD. Since AF seems "Christmas friendly" with the release last year of New York Voices and this year's The Christmas Song (Nat Cole, stereo only), how about one of the bigger names in Christmas music that was released in Quad?
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir's " The Great Messiah Choruses", MQ 32935?

I do understand your post and appreciate your suggestion, but I wanted to add this. We are extremely lucky that AF is giving us Nat's The Christmas Song on SACD. I have personally written to a number of reissue labels asking them to consider licensing and releasing that album in a properly remastered form (LP or CD) as there has never been a good sounding version of those songs on the market. Being a three track recording, the only thing we could have had would be what Analogue Productions gave us with 6 of the 7 Nat King Cole titles they have released which is basically Nat's vocals in the center (dry) and the orchestra to the left and right along with the reverb trail from Nat's vocals. Sure, it would have been a nice bonus, but I'm just really happy that not only Audio Fidelity has finally decided to give the fans a proper mastering, but they also got Kevin Gray to do it and on a hybrid SACD. That is more than I ever wished for. On top of that, Amazon.com stil has an amazing pre-order price which makes this purchase a no-brainer for me. I've also ordered several copies to offer as gifts. When you look at the prices that the MFSL Christmas titles from Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald go for on the second hand market (and have done so for years), I hope that whomever likes this album will get it sooner rather than later.

As you may have guessed, I'm really excited about this release. This album was on the absolute top of my wish list. Yep, I know, I'm crazy that way. :)

[I}Kevin Gray did the mastering on this while I was working on SLY STONE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. I have not heard it yet but Kevin is the King Mastering Masterer so I'm sure it will be good. He used the stereo analog tape as a source. Note that The Christmas Song on the album is the very version that Kevin and I remixed from the 3 track for "The Nat King Cole Story" box set.[/I]

It's a good one in Stereo SACD. Just in time for Christmas. :)

Well, it's missing Little Drummer Boy so you'll still need another disk for that.

I wonder if they cancelled orders at that price and will relist it for a higher price later.

Something is off about that amazon listing...I can't remember the last time they beat every one of the "usual suspects" on price for a SACD release...and the release date was supposed to be today...maybe that's it..the infamous FRIDAY THE 13TH jinx..Acoustic Sounds has the 20th for the release date...but most of the other outlets had today....I doubt that price will hold up if it's relisted on amazon..

The good news is that The Christmas Song Hybrid Stereo SACD has already been shipped to Audio Fidelity club subscribers.
So the SACDs for the web sites and stores aren't far behind.

Cover - 400.jpg

Amazon has jacked it up to $29.98 now.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 152
Interesting, my Amazon.com order ship date was recently changed to December 18th!

Geeze...that's insane....it's currently listed as "out of stock"...amazon is getting worse with their product information..they issue these crazy delivery dates that aren't realistic...either the wrong information or no information about products..and the early pricing of items is all over the map...a couple of years ago I thought they were the best source for my music purchases...now they are a last resort for me...

Back