National Record Store Day 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Tomorrow Saturday 4/23 is the annual National Record Store Day. I usually make an effort to poke around & of course I'm on the look out for SACD's, DVD-A, etc even more than LP's. Which are still fun to impulse buy. Anyway there's usually 2 or 3 I hit up in addition to a couple of Vintage Stocks. One of my faves has a line so long you must get there an hour before opening if you want in a reasonable time. The other two kinda dissapointed me last year. I was looking for the Cat Stevens re-issues (well discussed on the forum) and they hadn't a clue.

So this year I noticed the main web site had a store locator. In my area I have more than I was aware of:

1650646938883.png

Down to Lawrence, KS is about as far away as I would go, if I had the time. And anyway I can always visit other than NRSD.

Has there ever been a Record Store Day release with some surround content? I can't recall that ever happening unfortunately.

I stopped by my local shop because there were two Bowie releases I wanted. The store told me that they didn't get one of them and the other one was already sold out. There was also supposed to be a U2 12" single that I was mildly interested in. It had two previously unreleased tracks on it. (A total of four songs on the single). The price was $33.99! For a 12" single! I appreciate that the idea of Record Store Day is to support independent retailers, but this is highway robbery. Didn't bother to buy a copy.

Record Store Day was a fun thing when record stores weren't popular and records weren't a trendy thing. Now it's a load of bullshit that just results in a few desirable releases being released in limited quantities to intentionally not meet the demand, that opportunist assholes line up for and flip for profit on ebay. The day no longer serves it's original intention on helping independent record stores that no longer require such help, and I do not participate in rewarding such assholish behavior from this out of control industry that seems to be incapable of understanding the basic function of business - create product, sell it to the customers! I'm sick and tired of the industry I've spent my entire life supporting treating me with such disrespect with a carrot on a stick to try and entice me to go to efforts to give them money. I intentionally avoid record stores on record store day.

Has there ever been a Record Store Day release with some surround content? I can't recall that ever happening unfortunately.

I stopped by my local shop because there were two Bowie releases I wanted. The store told me that they didn't get one of them and the other one was already sold out. There was also supposed to be a U2 12" single that I was mildly interested in. It had two previously unreleased tracks on it. (A total of four songs on the single). The price was $33.99! For a 12" single! I appreciate that the idea of Record Store Day is to support independent retailers, but this is highway robbery. Didn't bother to buy a copy.
Too bad you didn’t buy the single. It would have sounded great on a Crossly turntable LOL.

Record Store Day was a fun thing when record stores weren't popular and records weren't a trendy thing. Now it's a load of bullshit that just results in a few desirable releases being released in limited quantities to intentionally not meet the demand, that opportunist assholes line up for and flip for profit on ebay. The day no longer serves it's original intention on helping independent record stores that no longer require such help, and I do not participate in rewarding such assholish behavior from this out of control industry that seems to be incapable of understanding the basic function of business - create product, sell it to the customers! I'm sick and tired of the industry I've spent my entire life supporting treating me with such disrespect with a carrot on a stick to try and entice me to go to efforts to give them money. I intentionally avoid record stores on record store day.
I agree that RSD started out with good intentions and degenerated into a day for getting people in the store by promoting limited releases and loss leaders. I miss the old days of shopping at record stores. Nowadays I just patronize online retailers that stock the surround content that I’m interested in. The alternative is to watch long awaited releases go quickly out of stock and out of print.

I buy the majority of my LPs from discogs these days (mostly Quad.) For most of my life, my go to place was Tower Records. Once it closed, not long after, founder Russ Solomon started R5 Records near the original location of the first Tower, here in Sacramento. It only lasted a few years and was bought out by local chain Dimple Records. Dimple wasn't too bad, but they just didn't have the panache of a good Tower store, and by that time digital was pretty much winning the consumer battle. Dimple Records closed too in 2019.

The few stores left are very small with little interesting inventory, at least for me. I do notice that quite a few of the LPs I buy from discogs are from larger Mom 'n Pop record stores in bigger cities throughout the world. Thank goodness some have survived.

I think of it the same way I do 'sidewalk sales'. They were sort of cool when I was a kid, but then suddenly stores said 'Hey, let's take all of that shit out of storage, slap it on a table, not discount it that much and hope people buy it', thus ruining the entire thing. We have an event here in Toronto called 'Taste of the Danforth' and it used to be really cool, and a great way to celebrate the Greek culture which is the neighborhood it's in. But then media companies, phone companies, banks and other coprorations began taking over as well as their music began drowing out actual musicians performing, the price of the food from vendors went up and flyers/advertising pamphlets littered the area. Needless to say, I haven't bothered going in many, many years now.

I enjoyed this year’s Record Store Day because I actually got out of the house and visited some local shops in person. Been awhile since COVID, and discovered some new places around Long Beach, CA. Witnessed a huge line around the corner for a Taylor Swift release one place had to draw numbers out of a hat for. Picked up some nice exclusives for myself from Devo (picture disc), Joni Mitchell (Blue highlights) and The Judybats first album on vinyl for the first time. Oh and a way too expensive Pete Townsend live album I couldn’t resist on yellow vinyl. ;)

HEAR, HEAR. So sad, but so true!

Dimple wasn't too bad, but they just didn't have the panache of a good Tower store, and by that time digital was pretty much winning the consumer battle.

My biggest complaint with Dimple was the fact that they sold CD-R bootlegs burned by amateurs from MP3 sources using software incapable of Disc At Once.

It was possible to pay $20 for a live CD-R with a full two seconds of sudden dead air between every track.

Back