Nature sounds in surround (5.1, Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
Anyone know of good sources for longer length nature sounds? I mean like an hour of rainfall with thunder, or forest sounds, etc. 5.1 physical formats work, as do like digital files. Hell I would love an album of this stuff on Apple Music in Atmos, but I don't know if that's a thing yet...

Not exactly what you're asking for, but in the ball park...
From Discogs...

https://www.discogs.com/release/14828420-Alex-Heffes-Earth-One-Amazing-Day
https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Amazin...–+Earth+One+Amazing+Day&qid=1634233979&sr=8-1
and on Amazon for $12.99

Alex Heffes – Earth One Amazing Day

1634233826629.png

Tracklist
1 Meet Planet Earth 3:16
2 A New Dawn 3:31
3 Planets Come Alive 2:32
4 Baby Panda Adventure 3:05
5 Narwhal's Journey 3:42
6 Sperm Whale Paradise 4:00
7 Zavodovski Island Penquins 2:38
8 Hummingbird Tale 4:49
9 Mayfly At Sunset 3:20
10 IntoThe Darkness 3:45
11 Bioluminescant World 2:43
12 Night Sky Comes Alive 3:14
13 Another Day Rises 3:02
14 The Imersive Experience 44:41

Dolby Atmos
Dolby True HD+ 7.1/+5.1 Surround

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderstorm-Surround-Experience-Dan-Gibson/dp/B00049QM36
This is an older SACD. I enjoy it, but you get a few loons along with the booms.
Do you mean there's also bird sounds from time to time?

Why would you think I wouldn't like? Is there music too?

I believe I’ve got a couple; can’t remember straight off; but the birds, (the little tweetin’ Dino SOBs drive me nuts, won’t let me sleep through it!)
I’ll have a dig through in the next couple days. Boonie’s DTS above looks interesting, don’t believe I have that one. A few distant Seagulls might be OK.

Last edited:
Yeah those Dan Gibson ones look intriguing. I added them to my wishlists.

No, there's no music, no narration - as the description says, it's a story without words.
For me, it's a "one-off" title, but I don't regret purchasing it. The section Rain Drops/Lake/Fire/Storm might work for you, but it's no audiophile recording.
Anyway, here's one more title (haven't heard it yet):
View attachment 72630
https://www.discogs.com/release/127...ibson-Ocean-Surf-A-Surround-Sound-Experience-
I do have this one, and I'll listen to it every once in a great while. As you can imagine, the surf is very repetitive but you certainly get the impression of you being alone on a beach. There are a few sea birds and dripping sea pools but mostly surf.

I just posted my contribution to Nature sounds on IAA.
Quad recording of some very relaxed surf in French Polynesia...
They need to review it but it will hopefully be posted tomorrow or Wed-

It'll be "Noon on a Polynesian islet in Stereo and Surround 4.0 - German F (5.1 flac Download)"

No poll for this but this seems like the best place...

Dan Gibson/ Solitudes - Ocean Surf SACD

Mix: 3/5: Well, it's real, so you can't complain. But it's not necessarily realistic. Maybe the front is not very wide and the rears are too wide - the sound is not a continuous flow but instead separate corners.

Sound: 3/5: Doesn't sound amazing. I'm sure it's well recorded, but I suppose crashing waves do sound a bit rough and muffled.

Music: 2/5: Obviously, I knew what I was getting. It is very repetitive and not meant to be exciting. But it's nice to have some surround sound to enjoy but half ignore while doing other things.

Weighted score: 3*3 + 3*2 + 2*1 = 17/30 = 5.66/10 = 6/10

No poll for this but this seems like the best place...

Dan Gibson/ Solitudes - Ocean Surf SACD

Mix: 3/5: Well, it's real, so you can't complain. But it's not necessarily realistic. Maybe the front is not very wide and the rears are too wide - the sound is not a continuous flow but instead separate corners.

Sound: 3/5: Doesn't sound amazing. I'm sure it's well recorded, but I suppose crashing waves do sound a bit rough and muffled.

Music: 2/5: Obviously, I knew what I was getting. It is very repetitive and not meant to be exciting. But it's nice to have some surround sound to enjoy but half ignore while doing other things.

Weighted score: 3*3 + 3*2 + 2*1 = 17/30 = 5.66/10 = 6/10
I've got the Thunderstorm, Surf and Birds. I like them all for snoozing. The Surf is repetitive but I think they all are very good for what they are.

I have the full set of environments LPs. They weren’t specifically quad encoded, but with so much uncorrellated pink noise, they decode remarkably!

Back