Need Dbx 200 Advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hello everyone! I've been away for awhile but ready to get back into surround. I recently moved and am in the process of hooking my system back up. I had been using a modern receiver plus a vintage receiver to run my quad stuff. The vintage receiver died so I'd like to run a few 4 channel quad accessories through my modern receiver. Problem is I have only one multi channel input that takes RCA connections. A logical solution seemed to routing all my quad components through a pair of Dbx 200's and feeding the output to the multi channel input on my receiver. I could then select which quad component I wanted to listen to via the Dbx.
My problem is I can't for the life of me figure out the correct ins and outs on the dbx to get any sound through it.
Can someone familiar with the Dbx 200's give me the proper inputs, outputs and settings to get sound through the Dbx? An example is that I'd like to playback my quad reel. I don't want to record or dub, just playback. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe there aren't enough "old schoolers" around to be familiar with the Dbx router selectors. I'm still hoping to get some advice on the Dbx, but in the meantime, maybe there's a modern day alternative for what I need to do?
I need to feed 3 or 4 quad components into a single multi channel input on my receiver. Is there a modern solution that wouldn't cost a fortune?

I don't have mine hooked up anymore.
If I remember correctly, line out goes to analog input on the receiver.
Connect the tape machine out to tape 1 (or 2 or 3) input(play). Turn the monitor knob to the desired tape input.
Push the line/tape button in(to tape). Leave the post button out.
Of course you need 2 dbx 200 units for quad.
Hopefully the diagram on the top of the unit can be of some use.
Hope this helps.

Oops, maybe the post/pre button should be pushed to pre.

Also, do you have the jumpers in?
I have followed the hookup diagram on the unit and have not had any luck getting any sound through the Dbx. I do NOT have the jumpers in place? Could that be the issue? I don't have the jumpers that came with the unit originally. Would an audio cable connected in the same manner work? Now I'm very curious if the issue is the missing jumpers.

No jumpers. Could that be the issue?

I bought a Zenith PH61148 I think the model number is on EBay foo $11 shipped brand spanking new. It is mechanical and has 4 inputs to one output. I think it was made for video games and DVD players, etc., but it works great for Quad or 5.1.

OK, I was slightly premature. Problem is almost solved. I've got my Akai quad reel hooked up through the dbx, works great. I've got my CD-4 decoder running through the dbx, no problems. What I'm having a challenge with is getting a signal through my Lafayette SQ-W to play my SQ records. I was reading through the owners manual and came across a printout from the Quadraphonicquad forum with a question I posted years ago where I was having almost exactly the same issue. Only that post was from December 2003!!! OK, admittedly I've lost a little muscle memory over the years. At the time, the advice solved my problem but I tried to follow everything in that old post and I'm having no luck.
Here's the problem.

I play an SQ record and I get stereo sound on the front speakers and nothing out of the rear. Either the TT signal is not properly going through the SQ-W or I'm not monitoring it correctly. The master volume or various surround settings on the SQ-W have no impact on the playback at all. All I get it the stereo sound from the front speakers.

Here is how I have it hooked up the 2 dbx routers to the SQ-W:

dbx LINE
TAPE MONITOR OUTPUTS to
4 CH OUTPUTS ON RECEIVER

dbx LINE (MONITOR - TAPE/LINE - TAPE IS SELECTED)
TO:
TAPE MONITOR INPUTS to
4 CH INPUTS ON RECEIVER

PROCESSOR 1 (IN selected on BYPASS/IN BUTTON)
PROC 1 LINE INPUTS to
SQ-W SOURCE

PROCESSOR 1
TO:
PROC 1 LINE OUTPUTS to
SQ-W 4CH OUTPUTS

dbx TAPE 2
phono Pre-Amp Out to FROM: TAPE 2 LINE OUTPUTS

Turntable to phono Pre-Amp IN

I'm also attaching some pictures to see if that helps. In the SQ-W manual they emphasize that you must have a receiver with a REC LOOP. I've always had the SQ-W hooked up to my old Pioneer QX949, but I've never tried to hook it up to my Yahaha RX-V677. I'm wondering if the multi-channel inputs and outputs on the Yamaha are not equivalent to an amp or receiver with a Tape Loop?
Anyway, thank you in advance for checking out my post and hopefully helping me solve this problem. I don't think my wife is going to tolerate too many more hours of me sitting behind the TV entertainment center looking at wires. :) 20200112_155003_resized.jpg20200112_154334_resized.jpg20200112_154323_resized.jpg20200112_154303.jpg20200112_154235.jpg20200112_154227.jpg20200112_155003_resized.jpg20200112_154334_resized.jpg20200112_154323_resized.jpg20200112_154303.jpg20200112_154235.jpg20200112_154227.jpg

Last edited:
Back