Need help with new Turntable choice to use with QS/SQ & SMv2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In terms of stylii, I would recommend going a decent profile. Like others here I use an Audio Technica microline stylus. I'm not convinced it will make a massive amount of difference in playing quad outside of CD-4, but the stylus shape/profile makes a huge difference once the album gets closer to the end of the side, so the benefit in stereo alone, IMHO, is worth it. I wouldn't want to go back to eliptical or conical/spherical for main listening. (I do use a conical for DJing and it's useful for playing obviously dirty second hand records, etc.) The Audio Technica sound isn't for everyone, but I spent several years with Ortofon OM (I changed because it didn't suit a later tonearm I got) and Grado Prestige which were a nightmare for wobbles. Personally for amps, I like Rotel. I use a separate pre-amp though. I currently use the much maligned SL-1200 Mk II with a much maligned stock arm (it's the stock arm from a 1210, but that's another story) and it suits the Audio Technica cart (AT440MLa, but with difference stylus) very well.

Audio Technica hiked their prices in a big way when they discontinued the AT range of stylii. The new VM series is compatible with the old AT cartridge. However, there is another new range which is significantly cheaper, although on paper the specs are not as good: the AT-VM range. This, despite sharing the same prefix is not compatible with the old AT cartridges. In Sterling, the AT-VM95ML (microline) is £149, whereas the VM540ML (also microline) is £230.

So in summary: I'd recommend a microline/shibata/gyger profile for better end of side performance.
Thanks for all the info Mike, I may try the VM540ML just for kicks. The way I see the real problem is, it’s been so long since I’ve played vinyl and with basically no experience in how various setups sound; how will I know I’m getting optimal sound, other than something just sounding obviously off? Like a caveman figuring out how to make 🔥- 🤣

Thanks for all the info Mike, I may try the VM540ML just for kicks. The way I see the real problem is, it’s been so long since I’ve played vinyl and with basically no experience in how various setups sound; how will I know I’m getting optimal sound, other than something just sounding obviously off? Like a caveman figuring out how to make 🔥- 🤣

That's why instead of 'winging' it you should make that phone call to the 'qualified' people @ Music Direct and tell them what you want. They hear different cartridges all the time and since each cartridge/tonearm/TT combo can and does impart different sounds they could better assist you in your needs. They also professionally set up/calibrate turntables and ship them ready to play which for the uninitiated can be as daunting as programming those new receivers.

1~800~449~8333 [Music Direct hotline]

See the source image

Should've listened to Ralphie!

That's why instead of 'winging' it you should make that phone call to the 'qualified' people @ Music Direct and tell them what you want. They hear different cartridges all the time and since each cartridge/tonearm/TT combo can and does impart different sounds they could better assist you in your needs. They also professionally set up/calibrate turntables and ship them ready to play which for the uninitiated can be as daunting as programming those new receivers.

1~800~449~8333 [Music Direct hotline]

See the source image

Should've listened to Ralphie!
Damned forlorned looking fucker!

See the source image

So Glad I listened to Ralphie! 🐶all is well in the kingdom

Just checked out musicdirect's site here:
https://www.musicdirect.com/equipme...SC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=gridfor TTs and they only show one Audio Technica TT, which is a belt drive and beyond my price level ~$500. Seems they want to sell TTs over $1,000? I know your into high-end equipment, but respectfully, I'm not. I don't believe I could hear much difference. That doesn't mean I won't call them and hear what they have to say.

Reactions: GOS
how will I know I’m getting optimal sound, other than something just sounding obviously off?

Now there's a question. One thing that will help is printing off a protractor for the corresponding length tonearm (measured pivot to front) which would help you get the angle of the cartridge right. There's also stuff like vertical tracking angle, which is dead easy on the Technics, but I've not noticed much, if any, difference TBH. My tonearm is about level when the stylus is on a record. With a removable headshell there can be some room for side to side angular adjustment (asymuth?). In my experience, if the cartridge introduces surface noise predominantly in one channel, then that angle is incorrect. In theory this shouldn't be a problem with arms that don't have removable headshells. For me, it's pretty down to getting the cartridge angle correct and listening out for anything sounding obviously off! I reckon it's got to be pretty easy to find a turntable for $500 that'll you'll enjoy playing records on - and if you do enjoy playing records on it: job done.

Just checked out musicdirect's site here:
https://www.musicdirect.com/equipme...SC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=gridfor TTs and they only show one Audio Technica TT, which is a belt drive and beyond my price level ~$500. Seems they want to sell TTs over $1,000? I know your into high-end equipment, but respectfully, I'm not. I don't believe I could hear much difference. That doesn't mean I won't call them and hear what they have to say.

I receive emails from MusicDirect all the time and they have TTs way below $1K.........Look under their sales/specials categories on their website ..... or just make a phone call.

Since I'm just about ready to order that new TT (yes Ralphie -MusicDirect); I'd like some additional recommendations for extra stuff that may be useful for setting up and playing everything from regular LPs to QS/SQ and CD-4. I figure I'll purchase one of those GeoDiscs for alignment for sure; and so what is typically used for VTA (the first cart/stylus I'll be trying is the AT-VM740ML?)

Anybody try this software?

Last edited:
Some painful news to report!

I received my new- in box "Pro-Ject-Debut Carbon Esprit SB" TT and set it up yesterday. It took me most of the day moving cabinets around and other positioning of items in order to get it put in the proper spot with my system. When the moment came to switch on the TT (with a regular LP of Joe Walsh's So What on the platter) -SURPRISE - nothing happened.
*Let's see - power cord hooked up correctly and power to outlet- check!
*Belt installed correctly - check!
*Press power button several more times at different intervals, pressures - check!
Uh - these things are pretty simple really...
*So tried another outlet just to be sure - check!
This thing is f***in' dead right out of the box!!! :eek:

Called musicdirect today and got an RA#, and will now have the unenviable task of putting it all back in the packing/box and returning.

I swear, how the hell did this ever get out of the plant with any kind of quality control? This is a $600 TT and it's a giant paper weight. Is this what we are to expect from TT companies these days. Unbelievable.

Start the cursing and blood pressure control... recover, and continue the search for a different TT.
No way am I going to go with this company again.
Back to square one.

One pissed off Mutt 🤬

I received my new- in box "Pro-Ject-Debut Carbon Esprit SB" TT and set it up yesterday. It took me most of the day moving cabinets around and other positioning of items in order to get it put in the proper spot with my system. When the moment came to switch on the TT (with a regular LP of Joe Walsh's So What on the platter) -SURPRISE - nothing happened.
*Press power button several more times at different intervals, pressures - check!

Called musicdirect today and got an RA#, and will now have the unenviable task of putting it all back in the packing/box and returning.

I swear, how the hell did this ever get out of the plant with any kind of quality control? This is a $600 TT and it's a giant paper weight. Is this what we are to expect from TT companies these days. Unbelievable.

Start the cursing and blood pressure control... recover, and continue the search for a different TT.
Back to square one.

One pissed off Mutt 🤬
Yeah dude sorry that's about as bad as it gets. Is there by chance a multi-voltage switch somewhere that's not set right?
Edit: I see it uses an external DC power supply. Anything suspicious about that?

Yeah dude sorry that's about as bad as it gets. Is there by chance a multi-voltage switch somewhere that's not set right?
Edit: I see it uses an external DC power supply. Anything suspicious about that?
Not that I can see - no. I thought about trying the power cord from the SM as they look similar, but looks like they are different voltage, so I didn't try that.

Not that I can see - no. I thought about trying the power cord from the SM as they look similar, but looks like they are different voltage, so I didn't try that.

Pupster, I DO feel horrible but I'm sure MD will rectify the situation. I can't tell you how many orders I've placed with MD over the years and had 100% satisfaction.....I even purchased my two pricey Marantz SACD stereo units from them and they still work perfectly after all these years.

BTW, I thought part of the deal with MD is that they did the complete set up for your TT ....... something amiss, IMO, should've shown up doing that procedure.

Keep me informed.
See the source image

👂👂👂👂 in the doghouse?

Last edited:
Pupster, I DO feel horrible but I'm sure MD will rectify the situation. I can't tell you how many orders I've placed with MD over the years and had 100% satisfaction.....I even purchased my two pricey Marantz SACD stereo units from them and they still work perfectly after all these years.

BTW, I thought part of the deal with MD is that they did the complete set up for your TT ....... something amiss, IMO, should've shown up doing that procedure.

Keep me informed.
See the source image

👂👂👂👂 in the doghouse?
I understand Lirpa Labs is coming out with a coal powered TT next year. Might be wise to wait.
It could even fit into the QQ BBQ thread.
Ribs at 33 RPM.

Last edited:

Back to square one.

One pissed off Mutt 🤬
If I were you, I would feel the same way about ProJect. But....but....I LOVE my ProJect TT, just a high quality piece of equipment. Still, if this has happened to me....I'd never buy another ProJect...ever. So, what to do....

And, wow, sorry my man. So disappointing.

If I were you, I would feel the same way about ProJect. But....but....I LOVE my ProJect TT, just a high quality piece of equipment. Still, if this has happened to me....I'd never buy another ProJect...ever. So, what to do....

And, wow, sorry my man. So disappointing.

I have heard that the Project TT are top notch in their price range and what the Pupster endured was just a snafu. Hell, a few years ago, My brand new jeep cherokee blew a fuel line gasket [cheap plastic part] while entering the very steep incline of one of our major NY bridges at 3 AM in the morning with a packed car of wedding revelers returning from a wedding. Shit happens but the car was fixed and ran spectaculrly for the remainder of my lease.

The Pupster will get restitution but the moral is.........MusicDirect will give him satisfaction for the malfunctioning TT and the Pupster will have a working TT in his system lickety split and all will be well in the kingdom....until those ticks, pops and swishes [with the bite of a dog whistle] has him running for the hills!

See the source image

Back