• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need Parts?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Over the past 30 years, I've been saving parts from units that could not be rescued, both stereo and quadraphonic equipment, mainly things that are most likely to get lost or damaged. Mostly external items, like knobs, feet, antenna bars, glass panels, etc., but also some internal pieces, like decoders and potentiometers, things like that. Rather than catalog everything, I'd rather respond to want lists. Most parts will be $5 - $10, a full set of knobs, for example, would be $20. You pay shipping. I don't go to my storage every day, so give me a few days to respond.

I know this is an older thread but I do have a couple of needs. Does anyone have an extra EQ knob for a JVC 4VR5456(X)? Also I am looking for a playback head or head assembly for an Akai GX630D-SS. My machine works fully but my tech says channel 1 has an intermittent open inside the play head which he made temporarily work but it died again and I am without reel playback. Any response will be gladly accepted. Thanks.

I know this is an older thread but I do have a couple of needs. Does anyone have an extra EQ knob for a JVC 4VR5456(X)? Also I am looking for a playback head or head assembly for an Akai GX630D-SS. My machine works fully but my tech says channel 1 has an intermittent open inside the play head which he made temporarily work but it died again and I am without reel playback. Any response will be gladly accepted. Thanks.
I won't be back at my store until this Friday, I can check my parts room then.

The heads are usually very reliable, I would check the Quadra -Sync selector switch first. One switch for each channel. Spray with contact cleaner or use Deoxit. One switch was intermittent on my machine until I used Deoxit on it.

I was going on the advice of my tech who did an unwarranted reapir to the head. I can assume he touched a soldering iron to a terminal and made a tenous connection inside the seal. I do not believe I can keep doing that. If the head was actually able to be reliably repaired, I would consider investing in it. I do agree that 99.9% of the time the GX heads are the best which is why I refuse to buy other brands of open reel decks. There are some cases of similar failures noted on the net and I think I just got unlucky. For the money I have laid out buying and as is machine from ePay, shipping and getting repairs, I would still be ahead if I can find the right head or head block. For accurate service I would be having my tech so the qork even though I might be able to muddle through it. My reels are important to me and I want to do the best I can to preserve them.

Howdy!
Something I’d like to check with you please:

Marantz 4140 tone pots; bass, mid, treble likely all 3 on a small board.

Thanks, Tim

I guess I will join right in here, then. If you look at a Sony SQD-2050 SQ decoder, there is a fairly large knob on the front which is the master volume control knob. Several years ago, I bought one and the previous owner had replaced the original, metal fluted knob with a cheap plastic knob and I have wanted to replace it with an original ever since.

I used to look on eBay but never did see one on there.

Thanks,
Doug

I guess I will join right in here, then. If you look at a Sony SQD-2050 SQ decoder, there is a fairly large knob on the front which is the master volume control knob. Several years ago, I bought one and the previous owner had replaced the original, metal fluted knob with a cheap plastic knob and I have wanted to replace it with an original ever since.

Thanks,
Doug
I'll check that on Friday, too.

Howdy!
Something I’d like to check with you please:

Marantz 4140 tone pots; bass, mid, treble likely all 3 on a small board.

Thanks, Tim
I don't have a set of 3 pulled from a 4140, but I do have a 4140 that needs work, only one channel is working right, but I'm fairly certain the controls are fine, the problem is with at least 2 transistors. If you're interested in the entire unit, as-is, we can probably make a deal. I can hold it if you expect to make another trip here, whenever that may be.
Other than that, I can go through my small board tone controls pulled from other Marantz quads, see what pots have the same ratings.

Thanks,
Doug
I don't have an exact match, sorry.

Back