Need recommendations for a budget receiver that will play SACD multi-channel dsd from HDMI cable.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a Pioneer VSX-521-k receiver and found out that it will only play 2 channel DSD. I have purchased a Sony BDP-S6500 so I can play the quad SACD's but most of the receivers I checked out only handle 2 channel DSD.

I've been shopping for a newer avr but the word "budget" is definitely NOT in the vocabulary for "new" "DSD" thru hdmi
Marantz SR line 6012 or +

I,ll have to try that when I get my player, would appreciate how you had to set 6500 to play multichannel layer.
On the home screen: Setup -> Audio settings -> Digital Audio Output -> select PCM

I was surprised when my DSD-capable Integra could only do stereo. Switching to PCM enabled multichannel. You have to switch back to "Auto" for DSD stereo and also for DTS multichannel.

On the home screen: Setup -> Audio settings -> Digital Audio Output -> select PCM

I was surprised when my DSD-capable Integra could only do stereo. Switching to PCM enabled multichannel. You have to switch back to "Auto" for DSD stereo and also for DTS multichannel.
Oops! That's the answer to "how do I output multichannel when my receiver only does stereo DSD." Here's how to play the multichannel layer:

Setup -> Music Settings -> Super Audio CD Playback Layer -> select Super Audio CD

and Super Audio CD Playback Channel -> select DSD Multi

Yamaha used to make receivers for multi channel SACDs as mine does but not sure if they still do

This is an ongoing challenge. Keeping your whole chain multi-channel DSD compatible is going to be a headache. I know this has been covered elsewhere, but I eventually gave up my dependency on aging or high-end hardware to play our niche surround formats. I prefer everything I own ripped to multichannel FLACs, so it can be played by any PC to any HDMI receiver. I know something is lost in the conversion from DSD to 88.2kHz/24 bit, but the difference is way beyond me.

It means I still need to deal with ripping SACDs up front, but once the conversion is performed, my collection is future-proofed.

See the source image

I own one of these:
RX-A3050
plus an Oppo 103, SACDs play fine in 5.1

DSD.jpg

Last edited:
I hope to try ripping the SACD to by pass the receiver problem. Time will tell.

U may want to try some onyko or dennon models, I believe they have some cheapest than marantz, just really check out the specs re DSD thru hdmi

I'm looking at marantz cuz of dsd thru hdmi but I also want/need avr to have analog inputs...if u don't want analog n go HDMI ONLY u may find something cheaper
Good luck n let us know what u find

Back