Need some help on TOUP and DTS questionable discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rck60s

I have been reading lately about The Beatles 5.1 Toup mixes..I have not heard any of them so I must ask..
Has anyone here heard these discs? Are they really 5.1? I have also seen where the 5.1 DTS denomination has been used on some of the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Doors and Pink Floyd discs..what is the listening experience of these discs..I have the ability to acquire some of these and before I do I was just wondering what they really sound like....Are they true DTS where the receiver wil recognize that they are and show it on the front panel ..

I have been reading lately about The Beatles 5.1 Toup mixes..I have not heard any of them so I must ask..
Has anyone here heard these discs? Are they really 5.1? I have also seen where the 5.1 DTS denomination has been used on some of the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Doors and Pink Floyd discs..what is the listening experience of these discs..I have the ability to acquire some of these and before I do I was just wondering what they really sound like....Are they true DTS where the receiver wil recognize that they are and show it on the front panel ..
The TOUP (Two Of Us Productions) DTS discs are "fan-produced" synthesized-from-stereo surround-sound product. They are "real" in the sense that they are indeed DTS encoded and will behave as such on your DTS-capable receiver, giving you 5.1 sound.

Since these are "fake" surround, processed from stereo, quality is nowhere near what it would be if these were true, surround-sound titles. However, as far as fake surround titles go, TOUP titles are generally thought of as some of the best. Some titles are better than others since surround extraction from stereo material is highly source dependant.

I tend to shy away from fake surround product but I've heard some of the TOUP stuff and it's a fun diversion.

Thanks....I do not expect them to be true Surround but it might be fun to hear them

Area51 and GART have done some 5.0 DVDA upmixes that, IMHO, surpass the TOUP efforts. The "fan-produced" mixes are fun, especially with very little new studio released surround discs being produced.

Also recommended are the 'A Collection of Quad Floyd Songs' discs. Several of the older Floyd discs also sound very good in DLPII, but these are very nicely done through a Sansui QSD-2 to DTS. I'm not sure if the creator wants to take credit or not, so I'll leave it to him - and add my thanks.

Al wondered:

"I have also seen where the 5.1 DTS denomination has been used on some of the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Doors and Pink Floyd discs..what is the listening experience of these discs..I have the ability to acquire some of these and before I do I was just wondering what they really sound like....Are they true DTS where the receiver wil recognize that they are and show it on the front panel .."

Yep, they're true DTS, so your DTS light should fire up and you'll also see your channels (Front L/R, Center, Rear L/R, Sub) light up. They are derived from 2 channel mixes, so the "discreteness" is a mixed bag. The good ones sound really good, you'd be hard-pressed to tell them from true discrete mixes. The bad ones are still fun, and, since I'm only investing the cost of a blank disc, they're okay in my book.

Hey Al, do you have "Exile On Main Street" in 5.1 DTS? I'd REALLY like to have that one, contact me offlist if you've got it...

-RW-

Nope...don't have Exile.....I am still searching..Cannot find hardly any of the GART/Area 51 discs....Have done google searches,demonoid searches,mininova searches stc with no luck....These mixes are fun as you say...Some are excellent some are terrible but in both cases they are very cool to listen to...

Area51 and GART, in a joint effort, upmixed Sgt. Peppers to 5.0 DVD-A. Excellent surround with rare Beatles photos for visuals.

Can't find that one anywhere...I have the TOUP and it is unlistenable...Can you pm me some info on the Gart...I have the Quadrophenia one they did and it is awesome

A lot of the GART and Area51 upmixes are available as torrents from http://www.demonoid.com/ . If you don't have a membership, keep checking as they open up registrations for a day or so every week or so.

Kirk

I'm new here. First post.
I have all the GART AREA 51 releases as well as most of the TOUP releases.
If anyone is interested in "discussing" these titles, send me a PM.

Back