Need suggestion: FMV from here to different room

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Hello gang,
need some suggestion from you that knows better the digital video world.
What i need to do: send full motion video (35/30fps) from a static camera placed on one room to another room which is +- 20mts away from the camera, to play it on a tv

In the analog world i did that several times, both running analog cables from camera to tv, or later with the audio/video sender which on a shorter distance and in sight (15 meters) did a excellent work.

But nowadays going analog for these kind of things is kinda old-fashoned and, being myself an old fart that tries to keep up the renewal in order to become a new fart :) i need some suggestion on how to do it with the actual stuff which is entirely digital.

What i have tried.
1) laptop with internal 2MP Webcam: kinda works, but the FMV is blurry and has shadows; audio can be better but this can be solved easily
2) Android phone: i have a spare Xiaomi that has a 5MP camera that can do 1920x1080 FMV and used that lately for some Zoom sessions, but i can't find anything that allows to use it on a internal lan only that can do FMV. Several Webcam app or surveillance doesn't real FMV but go for a slower framerate despite the settings (CamOn, BabyCam) or have some serious bugs (IpWebcam loose the audio when video is maximized).

Playback is on a TV with HDMI and i can connect something as a receiver; so far i have tired a pair of AndroidTV devices on direct IP connection - chromecast doesn't work if there is only internal lan without a external internet connection. All connection are with a router in the middle, on 5GHz band, no interferences and only these things can connect to it. Quality connection is at least 85%.

Suggestions or pointers to other forums more specific to that thing?
Thanks.

As long as you set up Zoom with password and waiting room (as the host on your phone), there shouldn't be any major security issues, even if the stream doesn't happen locally on your LAN. I'm assuming you are launching Zoom on TV via browser.

Having said that, I think the most reliable solution (in terms of bandwidth and network stability) is having two 4G + WiFi phones on both ends: one placed in one room, filming, and the other connected via HDMI to the TV, streaming. With this solution, you could potentially use any app for video call. Most of them are fully encrypted and you can take advantage of both WiFi and 4G.

I also remember streaming videos via VLC, but don't know if it's possible to do that in real time.

Hope this can partially answer...

As long as you set up Zoom with password and waiting room (as the host on your phone), there shouldn't be any major security issues, even if the stream doesn't happen locally on your LAN. I'm assuming you are launching Zoom on TV via browser.

Been there done that and i find a waste of bandwidth to send the signal all across half globe to cover a real distance of 20 meters. Not to say that the streaming will become dependent of the internet outside, which can have some quirk, not only lags.

Having said that, I think the most reliable solution (in terms of bandwidth and network stability) is having two 4G + WiFi phones on both ends: one placed in one room, filming, and the other connected via HDMI to the TV, streaming....
I also remember streaming videos via VLC, but don't know if it's possible to do that in real time.

Should be possible, that's a clue. Thanks.

Thanks DuncanS, i've read a bit of the review on the amazon site and these are not really encouraging... some devices need to be in sight or with light walls inbetween, which is not possible on my case. Also, these do solve a delivery problem, but i still need a digital-camera-with-hdmi_out in order to use that solution.
But it's a nice idea that help to focus on the problem.

Back