Neil Peart Drummer for Rush Passed Away

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a used-to-be professional drummer myself, he was by far my biggest influence, along with Rush being one of my favorite bands of all time, and he was an amazing lyricist too. I am just dumbfounded and devastated. šŸ˜­

What about memorial remixes by Steven Wilson to commemorate Neil Peart and to begin with Permanent Waves

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A500FU met Tapatalk

Really nice tribute Mike. I just paused Fly By Night to check it out. I knew you really liked Rush, but I was surprised at what an uber-nerd fan you are. I know because I am too. At 11 years old when I first heard Tom Sawyer, it instantly hit me that that's what I want to do with my life, and became a drummer. In my late teens I acquired a drumset with 8 toms so I could do all of those crazy fills. I would spend entire days just playing each song over, and over, and over trying to get each note just right, and I would spend hours and hours tuning my drums trying to get them to sound just like Neil's.

While I like every single album that Rush has put out, I totally agree that from Fly By Night to Signals was other level iconic, magical stuff. Neil and Rush pulled off what almost no other band has done, especially in the 80's: Have hugely popular radio hits while playing hard-core jazz-fusion influenced progressive rock.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is "The more we think we know about, the greater the unknown" from Mystic Rhythms. I always took that line to mean, once you become set in your ways with your own personal beliefs, the more possibilities and other perspectives you close yourself off from: Keep and open mind to other perspectives and keep questioning things.

Mike, well said tribute by you. I have been a Rush fan since very close to their start(Fly by Night and then waited each year for what was coming next,what a wonderful journey) as a band so this is tough news to hear today.
After reading this from what Mike Portnoy had to say:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8547805/neil-peart-mike-portnoy-remembers-drummer
I think its so cool to see the respect that Neil P. had and he deserved the respect that no one from us public knew anything about Neil's illness until we all got the news today. This is how Neil wanted it as he wanted to have his privacy which he deserved to have as he already has shared so much with us all through his books,lyrics and of course the amazing music created in RUSH.
RIP Neil and šŸ™ for your family and friends. THANKS Professor.

It's no secret that I am a huge RUSH fan, so this news definitely hurt today, but what I will miss most about Neil is not his talent behind the kit but rather his talent behind the pen. Today I found myself listening to songs from the "Signals" album like "Subdivisions" and (especially) "Losing It" and reminding myself about his transformation as a lyricist from the band's earliest days where the lyrics were very bookish to songs like those where almost anyone could relate to the lyrics on a deep level. He's already greatly missed.

1578764582321.png

Fly By Night thru Moving Pictures was my high school soundtrack. I more or less learned to play guitar from Alex! Learned every note off those albums. I haven't felt this shocked since Frank Zappa left us. Was too young to understand the weight of people like Hendrix and Lennon passing. I don't know... I guess I like the thought that Neil managed to really nail it and actually finish his career to his standard. He was dealt some truly terrible hands in life. Had his first family basically erased after getting off tour that time. That kind of hardship... And still achieved what he did. Turned out his clock only had 1.5 years left when he hit his finish line with that. Wow...

Back