Neil Young Announcement - Blu-Ray is the way

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great article from Jerry Del Colliano.
The future of high resolution music and surround music has great potential.
:sun

Data can be permanently added to your player though.
If you keep a USB with "NEil Young 1964" on it for example, anytime you put that 1964 disc in and want to access the extra content from the internet, it will be immediate through your USB key - you won't have to download anything again. You could also add an external drive too for more permanent storage or in the case of the PS3 put in a 300GB 2.5" drive and keep all your BD-Live stuff on that.

Is it perfect? No. Will it solve double dipping? Absolutely.

If the PS3 or hard drive dies, what can be done? Can the hard drive be backed up and used with a different PS3? I haven't read about the potential but if it is possible to back up the hard drive and use that hard drive with a different PS3, I would be surprised.

Neil appears to recognize the potential for Blu-ray, with 50GB per disc and 48Mbps, that potential is great for high resolution music. We really don't know much about what the plans are, but any news about upcoming Blu-ray music releases sounds like good news to me. I am sure the plans are far from final.

Chris

Chris

Absolutely you can back up your HDD.
A lot of people will do this when they discover the 40GB drive isn't enough for everything they want.

• Plug in your external drive and reformat it so the PS3 will recognize it.
  • Copy current PS3 hard drive content to your external drive.
  • Remove the standard issue console drive, following the installation instructions in the PS3 manual.
  • Replace the console drive with a the new drive.
  • Format new drive.
  • Plug in external drive and transfer content to the new drive.

I found that preview trailer to be very exciting! Maybe I can stop chasing Time Fades Away vinyl and put off the CD conversions of that and Journey Through The Past. (saw that at the Ken Cinema in San Diego years ago)

Pretty damn cool all the way. I understand the Archives is being released but the reference to catalog albums is *only* found in Jerry's article. Did I miss it elsewhere?

Going with memory here.

Several years ago I read a written interview the writer conducted with Neil Young. Hmmmmm..... might have been back in the 1980s since the topic was the audio quality of CDs.

Maybe it wasn't Young but that's what my archaic disheveled memory tells me.

Anyway, I recall the interviewed chap as declaring a dislike for digital audio, comparing it to viewing the world through a screen door.

If that was Young it's interesting how his view of digital audio changed.

If my memory is accurate it may be a case of money hunger, hoping a bunch of folks buy one's material on a new format.

Phil Spector was all for mono but look at how weird that guy is.

Young, by releasing his entire catalog, understands clearly that today’s music buyer doesn’t just listen to an album or a single song as much as they listen to an entire genre.
er..they do? Says who? I think more music buyers today download and listen to more single tunes and albums than 'entire genres'.

As for Blu Ray, this is just the latest in Neil Young's absurd quest to find the 'perfect' format. First it was HDCD, thn DVD-A, now BluRay HD. As if his recordings -- never noted for
their 'audiophile' qualities -- required even a fraction of the 'resolution' available to these formats! And as if he actually had enough hearing left to tell.

As for the Zep live DVDA sounding 'terrible', and CD being 'low res' that only tells me that Colliano is just another audiophile asshat.

Absolutely you can back up your HDD.
A lot of people will do this when they discover the 40GB drive isn't enough for everything they want.

• Plug in your external drive and reformat it so the PS3 will recognize it.
  • Copy current PS3 hard drive content to your external drive.
  • Remove the standard issue console drive, following the installation instructions in the PS3 manual.
  • Replace the console drive with a the new drive.
  • Format new drive.
  • Plug in external drive and transfer content to the new drive.

Will this drive work with a different PS3 if the PS3 fails? I know with TiVo, once formatted for a specific TiVo, you can't transfer hard drive and retain contents to another TiVo. If it will transfer to a new PS3, I am really interested in this, but if it won't, I am going to continue to maintain recordings on removable media and not rely on a hard drive. At risk of loss because of hard drive failure, a backup is good, but if the hard drive can't be used with a different PS3, there isn't any protection for PS3 failure. I had just assumed any given hard drive is married to a specific PS3 but I haven't even bothered to research that aspect of PS3 use, and I hope my assumption is wrong.

Chris

I don't get the part about the internet unless he is thinking that everyone will have a Blu-Ray burner.

maybe we will

Microsoft Adds Blu-ray Support to Windows

Microsoft is planning to release "Windows Feature Pack for Storage" which will add support for master style optical burning on Blu-ray discs. The pack has been in non-disclosure laced beta testing for quiet some time, but can now be seen on the Microsoft Connect website. When released, the pack will upgrade Windows XP and Vista, as well as Server 2003 and 2008.

Currently there is no planned release date for the Feature Pack.

Will this drive work with a different PS3 if the PS3 fails? I know with TiVo, once formatted for a specific TiVo, you can't transfer hard drive and retain contents to another TiVo. If it will transfer to a new PS3, I am really interested in this, but if it won't, I am going to continue to maintain recordings on removable media and not rely on a hard drive. At risk of loss because of hard drive failure, a backup is good, but if the hard drive can't be used with a different PS3, there isn't any protection for PS3 failure. I had just assumed any given hard drive is married to a specific PS3 but I haven't even bothered to research that aspect of PS3 use, and I hope my assumption is wrong.

Chris

Chris, sorry to have taken a while to respond to this, but yes you can use the hard drive on a different PS3. You can also back up your HDD in case of PS3 failure, so when you get the new one you simply put the old HDD back in.

I should be a betting man... Archives is delayed again.

From Thrasherwheat a Neil Young page:
The rumors have been floating around for several weeks now that the ever so long, long awaited and delayed Neil Young Archives would not make the announced November 3 release date.

From oz on Bad News Beat:

"Due to production issues, not economic or slow blu-ray adoption, the Archives have been again delayed until Jan or Feb of 2009."

The delay was more or less corroborated at the BBC "Don't Be Denied" preview screening last week. The BBC broadcast later this month was supposed to be tied into the release of Archives Volume #1 but apparently that plan has been shelved. As far we know, the BBC will proceed with it's originally planned broadcast date of 10/31.

So once again, there's no reason to fear that the improbability that the Archives will come out before the unreleased "Time Fades Away" album. Or -- for that matter -- any other highly unlikely events.

But maybe the Performance Series release of Sugar Mountain Live will arrive this year? While it is still undetermined as to exactly what the release will contain, last month we speculated on the source and setlist. And now Sugar Mountain Live is listed on Amazon.com as a pre-order with a Nov. 25 release date.

I love Neil Young but i have come to expect the unexpected with Neil though. Stuff appears when you least expect it and projects dissappear and re appear and evolve all the time.

Itll happen when it happens.

Kinda steep admittedly, but I don't imagine the initial quantity produced was high enough to get much of a price break. That may be a wishful thinking figure for now; I'll stay tuned....

Considering list price is $431.99, the 30% off pre-order price seems like a good deal. Amazon has a pre-order price guarantee too, so I went ahead and pre-ordered, maybe the price will drop further. Sure it's a lot of money, but this is Archives!

10 Discs, Neil Young, Blu-Ray, well, that's $30 a disc - I've spent more than that on worse stuff.

True to form, neil has delayed the release yet again apparently:
http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/uncut/news/12576

Neil Young has delayed the release of his expansive "The Archives Vol. 1" once again - but is releasing new material from his vaults instead.

"Archives", scheduled to be released on January 27 2009, has been put back until April or May next year, while "Toast", an album with Crazy Horse, will be released in its place.

Recorded seven years ago, the album, which will be released in 5.1 stereo, features some songs that made it on to 2001's "Are You Passionate?", including "Goin' Home", alongside unreleased work.

5.1 stereo....

Back