Neil Young - working on Atmos versions of “all my old albums”

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zdjh22

QQ Supporter
From a posting by Neil Young to the NYA Times Contrarian today (NeilYoungArchives.Com):

“Tomorrow i will probably take my F-150 Ford Lightning to the new surf shack where i am working with Niko, my ‘Volume Dealers,’ partner, on making all my old albums in Dolby Atmos / Apple Spatial so the next generation can hear them…”

There was also a Zoom call with NYA Patrons today, with NY appearing from his Atmos listening room (11.4.something). He said he was working (in that room) on finishing 10 Atmos album mixes (this month). Specifically he mentioned Comes a Time and Rust Never Sleeps (and one other that I’m forgetting now) as being part of the 10. Oh, now I remember, Zuma was the 3rd.

For NY fans, he said he owns Hank William’s original guitar (whatever that means?) and will be using it on an upcoming tour. That guitar and “Old Black” are his favorites. He’s also working on both Volumes 3 and 4 of the archives, with plans to release Vol 3 this year.

Oh, and I just noticed a posting at the Contrarian that confirms that the “BBC Live” disc from the 50th Anniversary Harvest Box has an audio problem. Buyers can send a photo of their disc and/or a copy of the receipt to get a replacement.

Last edited:
Rust Never Sleeps being mentioned makes me happy, wonder if it will be just a “in the crowd” type mix or have discrete elements in the rear channels. Either way hearing one of my favourite Neil songs, “Thrasher” in surround is exciting to me.

Rust Never Sleeps being mentioned makes me happy, wonder if it will be just a “in the crowd” type mix or have discrete elements in the rear channels. Either way hearing one of my favourite Neil songs, “Thrasher” in surround is exciting to me.
Thrasher's lyrics are just so completely perfect.

It’ll be interesting to hear. He did talk about Comes a Time and how great it was to hear Nicolette Larson’s voice clearly distinct from the rest of the music - so at least CaT will be very discrete (from that description).

He also said his work right now is to listen to the 10 mixes and make sure that their character is consistent with the stereo mixes.

A cautionary note. I well remember after Decade came out - could have been ‘77 or ‘78 - in a Rolling Stone interview NY mentioned that he had a barn full of tapes from all of his prior work with something like 23 unreleased albums (IIRC). The Archives subsequently became an obsession with fans. We only had to wait 30 years for Volume 1! So let’s see how long we have to wait for these first 10.

Neil always gets fired up for the new stuff, but then peters out.

Remember DVD-Audio? He held back some of his LPs from CD until DVD-Audio appeared
Remember the Pono? HiRez for the masses
Remember the Super-Saturated DVD discs?
Remember the Achives Vol 1 BluRay, with the perpetual timeline that would be added to FOREVER? With future Volumes to include BluRay audio as well as the online feature?

I love Neil and his music, and as a performer, but his attention span is like mine! ;)

From a posting by Neil Young to the NYA Times Contrarian today (NeilYoungArchives.Com):

“Tomorrow i will probably take my F-150 Ford Lightning to the new surf shack where i am working with Niko, my ‘Volume Dealers,’ partner, on making all my old albums in Dolby Atmos / Apple Spatial so the next generation can hear them…”

There was also a Zoom call with NYA Patrons today, with NY appearing from his Atmos listening room (11.4.something). He said he was working (in that room) on finishing 10 Atmos album mixes (this month). Specifically he mentioned Comes a Time and Rust Never Sleeps (and one other that I’m forgetting now) as being part of the 10. Oh, now I remember, Zuma was the 3rd.

For NY fans, he said he owns Hank William’s original guitar (whatever that means?) and will be using it on an upcoming tour. That guitar and “Old Black” are his favorites. He’s also working on both Volumes 3 and 4 of the archives, with plans to release Vol 3 this year.

Oh, and I just noticed a posting at the Contrarian that confirms that the “BBC Live” disc from the 50th Anniversary Harvest Box has an audio problem. Buyers can send a photo of their disc and/or a copy of the receipt to get a replacement.
Do you have a link to the story on the replacement disc?
I have the box but haven’t listened to it yet. Thanks!

Here's the information that I found regarding replacements discs.

To obtain your new replacement BBC DVD when it becomes available on or about April 19, contact the Greedy Hand Store at [email protected]and follow the instructions below.

Please provide the following information in your email
Your Name
Your Email Address
Where you purchased your copy of the Harvest 50th Anniversary Box Set with a photo of the receipt OR a photo of the DVD

Here's the information that I found regarding replacements discs.

To obtain your new replacement BBC DVD when it becomes available on or about April 19, contact the Greedy Hand Store at [email protected]and follow the instructions below.

Please provide the following information in your email
Your Name
Your Email Address
Where you purchased your copy of the Harvest 50th Anniversary Box Set with a photo of the receipt OR a photo of the DVD
Thank you!

Super exciting news, hopefully this actually happens. Admittedly there are only 3 or 4 albums I really want, but maybe this will get me to listen to more of his solo stuff. Can't help but wishing we get Stephen's first few albums (or at least the first one which supposedly was all done in 5.1), which are more exciting to me. Would love BS in surround as well but there's prob no chance of that happening...

Back