Quad LP/Tape Poll Nektar: Down to Earth [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ of Nektar - Remember the Future

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
British prog-rockers Nektar's October, 1974, release Down to Earth - a single-inventory SQ LP (I believe) so pretty much every issue of this LP worldwide should carry the SQ encoding.

Both of the band's preceding albums saw surround reissue on SACD - Journey to the Center of the Eye with a new 5.1 remix, and Remember the Future with the original 1973 quad mix, but this one (for whatever reason) has been ignored thus far.

nektar_down_to_earth_LP-1.jpgnektar_down_to_earth_LP-2.jpg

Bacillus Records [Germany] BLPS 19190 Q [SQ LP] Passport Records [US] PPSD-98005 [SQ LP] United Artists Records [UK] UAG 29680 [SQ LP]
Discogs links: German LP / US LP / UK LP
Wiki page for the album: Down to Earth

Quad mix engineered by Barry Hammond and produced by Peter Hauke

Side 1:
  1. Astral Man
  2. Nelly the Elephant
  3. Early Morning Clown
  4. That's Life
Side 2:
  1. Fidgety Queen
  2. Oh Willy
  3. Little Boy
  4. Show Me the Way
  5. Finale

Big fan of this album and have finally heard it in Quad. Great sound and mix. Voted a 9.

British prog-rockers Nektar's October, 1974, release Down to Earth - a single-inventory SQ LP (I believe) so pretty much every issue of this LP worldwide should carry the SQ encoding.

Both of the band's preceding albums saw surround reissue on SACD - Journey to the Center of the Eye with a new 5.1 remix, and Remember the Future with the original 1973 quad mix, but this one (for whatever reason) has been ignored thus far.

View attachment 52157View attachment 52158

Bacillus Records [Germany] BLPS 19190 Q [SQ LP] Passport Records [US] PPSD-98005 [SQ LP] United Artists Records [UK] UAG 29680 [SQ LP]
Discogs links: German LP / US LP / UK LP
Wiki page for the album: Down to Earth

Quad mix engineered by Barry Hammond and produced by Peter Hauke

Side 1:
  1. Astral Man
  2. Nelly the Elephant
  3. Early Morning Clown
  4. That's Life
Side 2:
  1. Fidgety Queen
  2. Oh Willy
  3. Little Boy
  4. Show Me the Way
  5. Finale
Thank you very much for this information !!! I realized just today about these multichannel releases, and it just made my day. The SQ LP is available at reasonable prices in good condition according to Discogs.

Also voting 9. This has always been my favourite Nektar Quad, I originally bought it and "Remember the Future" just because they were Quad, and loved it! My favourite Nektar album would have to be "Recycled", too bad there is no quad version of that.
Could you guys elaborate a bit more why you like this quad? Channel separation? Placing of the instruments? DtE is by far my favorite album, but I like Recycled too (along A tab in the ocean and Journey to the center of the eye).

First of all I loved the content. The sound quality was excellent as was the mix. As I recall there was no gimmickry or exaggerated channel separation effects as you might find on some of the Columbia/Epic SQ releases. Just a good sounding LP overall.

Back