Nektar Question....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Referencing "A Tab In The Ocean" in my previous question.

Why "Down to Earth" never converted to hi-res DVD Audio???

I have a mysterious version on Dts Cd but I do not know if this is the conversion from the original quadraphonic source or upmix. This album is wonderful and I dream about that once appeared on DVD Audio.

Reel-to-Reel quad of Remember The Future? I did not know that existed. Suddenly, I need to hear that. :)

Reel-to-Reel quad of Remember The Future? I did not know that existed. Suddenly, I neeto hear that. :)
The R>R of RTF and a quad mix of down to earth appeared on dvda .iso file a few years ago; down to earth was presented as a bonus record. I don't know who did the conversions, but the disc was authored in a very professional manner. You'd have thought it was retail, except it was better than the average retail product.

I sent off my SACD tracks to be done to DVD-A by a member here.
Maybe that's the one you have??
As far as I know, there were never any Nektar Reel to Reels.

A nice copy of Down To Earth decoded from the Eclectic CD would be nice.
Was Tab In The Ocean a Quad?

It's confusing as I heard all Nektar up to Recycled were quad except Tab and Sounds Like This.

The R>R of RTF and a quad mix of down to earth appeared on dvda .iso file a few years ago; down to earth was presented as a bonus record. I don't know who did the conversions, but the disc was authored in a very professional manner. You'd have thought it was retail, except it was better than the average retail product.

If it's the conversion I'm thinking of, it was claimed RTTF was from the quad master rather than a commercial Q4 and DTE was decoded from the CD.

As for bring better than retail, I have an older DVDA player that often has problems with the menus on home made conversions - but never on retail discs. The issues are usually minor, but this disc was the most problematic I have ever acquired. The menu usually froze half-way through loading up, and it was hit and miss which album I could get to play.

Apart from that, it sounded OK when I could get it to play something.

As for bring better than retail, I have an older DVDA player that often has problems with the menus on home made conversions - but never on retail discs. The issues are usually minor, but this disc was the most problematic I have ever acquired. The menu usually froze half-way through loading up, and it was hit and miss which album I could get to play.

Apart from that, it sounded OK when I could get it to play something.
I was referring to content quality and layout, not playability, as that is usually dependent on too many factors. I never had any issues playing it.

If it's the conversion I'm thinking of, it was claimed RTTF was from the quad master rather than a commercial Q4 and DTE was decoded from the CD.

Yeah, you're correct; i just saw that. I guess that would put in on par with the AP mix of DSOTM (the master copy that was released before the recent box set BD version). It should at least be safe to assume that that is the mix they used for the Q4 (if there was one?).

I sent off my SACD tracks to be done to DVD-A by a member here.
Maybe that's the one you have??
As far as I know, there were never any Nektar Reel to Reels.
No, I have that one too. The version I'm referring to here is much better than the DVD-A transfer from the SACD-- No offense to the transferor intended. Since then there has also been a DTS-MA direct digital transfer of the SACD that is superb.

"Down To Earth" decoded, ISO created, just need to get around to releasing it................

I still have my original copy of RTF, makes me want to find it and see what other Lp's I have by them. I believe that I saw them in concert in the late 70's. Thats good news to hear that its in SQ.

I have the German Bellaphon-Bacilus LPs of Nektar's Remember The Future and Down To Earth in SQ.

I understand the USA pressings were "unmarked" quad.

Some say it's SQ and others say it's QS.

Seeing as how the Passport label was through ABC, wouldn't it have been QS since all other ABC Quad releases were QS?

Has anyone played with this and can tell me which one it is?
Thanks!

-Bob

Old thread back..

I got to listen to those two records again. Both are Passport pressing..
Remember the future is SQ, since I had a demo with it and it decodes just like that.
Down to earth is in QS. I had the chance to A/B it with a cd copy and while cd decodes in SQ, my vinyl copy has the same configuration if I listened to it in QS.

Now, the real question is: I can't seem to find a copy of their 1976 Recycled album to listen to, but I've found a CD copy with the actual mixing which I suppose to be stereo only. But if you listen to the "Geoffrey Emerick mix" it's sure SQ, and it's a different beast.

Back