Quad LP/Tape Poll Nero, Peter: Summer of '42 [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate 'Summer of '42'

• 10: Tops

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 100.0%

• 1: Utter crap

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ 31105. Stereo Lp released 1971, Quad edition 1972.

Side 1:

Theme from "Summer of '42"
Love
(They Long to Be) Close to You
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?0
You've Got a Friend

Side 2:

Go Away Little Girl
For All We Know
Make It with You
We've Only Just Begun
Theme from "Love Story"
Never My Love

Q8 track listing:

Program 1:

Theme from "Summer of '42"
Love
You've Got a Friend
We've Only Just Begun
Never My Love

Program 2:

(They Long to Be) Close to You
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?
Go Away Little Girl
For All We Know
Make it with You
Theme from "Love Story"

ED :)

The Q8 features a high quality Quad mix and the fidelity is actually pretty good.

Rhythm section is split between the four speakers (whenever drums are in the front, percussion are in the back and vice versa), whilst guitars, brass and woodwinds mostly in the back with strings and piano anchored to the fronts. Very tastily put together. It lifts up the music and gives the whole thing a huge soundscape. Lennon's Love does sound grandiose, yet beautiful at the same time. The song selection is actually pretty solid.

Here's hoping that the good people of Dutton/Vocalion will consider releasing it on SACD.

I voted 9.

R-8142465-1455940847-6979.jpeg.jpg

Safe to say D/V would be the only company that might even consider putting out the quad mix, and this listener wouldn't mind if they did.

Safe to say D/V would be the only company that might even consider putting out the quad mix, and this listener wouldn't mind if they did.

DITTO, Peter Nero's Summer of 42, although considered 'easy listening' is pretty superior fare and IMO would make a splendid D~V QUAD SACD release.

I just researched the Quadraphonic Discography and came across a Quadraphonic Concert conducted by Andre Kostelanetz with Guest Peter Nero performing Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and this could constitute a possible two~fer D~V SACD release with Summer of 42!

I agree. My dad had this album when I was a kid and i really grew to love the arrangements of the songs and Peter Nero's playing. And in quad it's most excellent. I have tried on a couple occasions to do a conversion from Q8 but never came up with a result that I liked very much. I am also hoping the tapes are still around and DV will see their way to making this one available again.

The Q8 features a high quality Quad mix and the fidelity is actually pretty good.

Rhythm section is split between the four speakers (whenever drums are in the front, percussion are in the back and vice versa), whilst guitars, brass and woodwinds mostly in the back with strings and piano anchored to the fronts. Very tastily put together. It lifts up the music and gives the whole thing a huge soundscape. Lennon's Love does sound grandiose, yet beautiful at the same time. The song selection is actually pretty solid.

Here's hoping that the good people of Dutton/Vocalion will consider releasing it on SACD.

I voted 9.

R-8142465-1455940847-6979.jpeg.jpg

I had a copy of the stereo lp recorded on a Recton brand .49 cassette (remember those long packs of three cassettes with no cases, early 70s) that were hissers if you ever heard one.

Anyway sounded lovely on my mono GE player. That was a hit album in its day.

Back