Never mind eBay, what about an AMazon Shocker?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty wild; I've seen Duran Duran - Astronaut SACD fetch $200 a time or two on ebay. Have seen Amazon DVD-A & SACD skyhigh prices for Hotel California and Rumours to name a couple.

Had a run in with an eBay seller who listed currently available new In The Court Of The Crimson King CD/DVD-A for $59! The reason I contacted him was that he insisted on using "like SACD" in the listing. Thinking he was another seller who didn't know a DTS from a DVD-A, I recommended playing up DVD-A and not SACD to be accurate. He jumped my ass and called me a fool. Right, like he's ever gonna sell any at that price much less take them back as wrong format. Jerk.

Pretty wild; I've seen Duran Duran - Astronaut SACD fetch $200 a time or two on ebay. Have seen Amazon DVD-A & SACD skyhigh prices for Hotel California and Rumours to name a couple.

Had a run in with an eBay seller who listed currently available new In The Court Of The Crimson King CD/DVD-A for $59! The reason I contacted him was that he insisted on using "like SACD" in the listing. Thinking he was another seller who didn't know a DTS from a DVD-A, I recommended playing up DVD-A and not SACD to be accurate. He jumped my ass and called me a fool. Right, like he's ever gonna sell any at that price much less take them back as wrong format. Jerk.

I have seen that & I thought that is for attracting crowd interested in SACD (who will most likely also be interested in DVD-A) during keyword search. May be not...but why did he call you fool? :confused:

Can you send me that auction?
I will go post a link to DGM, as this is still in print & I cannot imagine why anybody would pay that money!!

Re Amazon, has anyone else noticed the seriously high prices are mainly from Bookshops? RBMBooks is one of the worst offenders, and there is apparently some form of scam going on.
I tried to get my collection insured (I need to find 2 shops to do it, as apparently traders not working from an actual record shop cannot give an insurance valuation in the UK)
and was told that getting sale prices from Amazon is not acceptable as there is an insurance scam where vastly inflated prices are "charged" (with the listings given as "proof" of value.
Then there is a mysterious fire or break-in at the shop............followed by the ramped up insurance claim. Allegedly, that is (according to my insurers).
Have you tried finding 2 independent valuation shops lately???

Do we know much about whether Amazon crazy prices ever actually result in a sale at that price? At least with eBay we know a bidder offered the amount although usually not if the item actually closed and wasn't returned.

Looks like they sneaked in the new $35 if you want free shipping deal a bit early, along with sales tax!

Order Summary
Items: $34.59
Shipping & handling: $3.98
Total before tax: $38.57
Estimated tax to be collected: $2.12
Order total: $40.69

I did not submit this order. And I went ahead and cancelled my previous pre-orders or anything that hadn't shipped yet.

Amazon & Ebay will always feature sellers like that. Chicago's CTA handmade quadradisc re-issue is one example. Aretha's Greatest could be had for as little as $30US when it came out & now is up upwards of $130US. We have a used bookstore that sells & trades music & movies & unfortunately will often used amazon & ebay prices as trusted sources as to what they will price things at. Unfortunately the opposite is true when you try to sell or trade in something to these guys.

Back