New 5.1 mixes - looking for critique

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popshop

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello QQ! Here are three songs with 5.1 FLAC files: EOLIAN_51 FLAC TEST - Google Drive
I respect the thoughts floating around here, and I'm looking for critiques and opinions.
I've had a very strange past few years and the result was/is a long and wonderful creative burst. Last year I released a song each week.
They are dense with many layers, so I've been messing around with 5.1 mixes. Obviously it's a lot of work to mix 52 songs in surround, so I thought I would start small and just see if anyone likes it.
The mixes are aggressive, with a lot of stuff happening in the rears. These three are from the first album "From the Light"
Thanks in advance. Feel free to post in the thread or PM. Don't worry about hurting my feelings either! :SG
IMG_20171003_142328.jpg

Hi Ian
Just downloading the three tracks now, will give my views after listening to them, laters.
Firstly, what is great, is that you are still interested in releasing music in surround.
And you are prepared to share them with us for our appraisal.
Especially when we all have our own likes and dislikes in musical tastes and our perception of what a good surround mix should consist of. So hopefully you will get lots of folk joining in the discussion.
Only 49 to go then!! :D

My thoughts, on the music I listen to, start with one initial criteria.
Did I enjoy it?
This is then combined with the fidelity and the mixing results.
And that can be in any format, from stereo to atmos releases.
Music is an art and will appeal to each individual, depending on their own tastes.
The musician/lyricist is painting a picture, in such a way, as to give the listener a full portrait of what they recorded.

Ian
These three tracks are definitely fulfilling my first criteria.
They are beautifully crafted, with a unique story to tell.
And they are from the heart , with all the emotions on show, given extra meaning with the complimentary surround mix.
I say complimentary, it actually brings the music alive!!

I have listened to all three of them. Not just once but enough replays to get the right balance in my opinions.
In an order of appeal the following applies:
Eolian Towers
This has the beat, mix and overall sound quality, that instantly got my foot tapping (always a good sign)
A Great opening line: 'There was a time before tree's were wood'
That made me sit up and pay attention to what was to follow.
Eolian Ghost
A musically, heavier track with guitar up front and singing from the rears.
'Holy ghost' has a lot to say and pans it around the room(a head nodder, another good sign!!))
Eolian From the Light
A gentle start -voice interplays around the speakers. it's still good, just not as strong as the first two.

There we are, my little review of Ian's songs
I hope other QQ'rs will also feel moved to give their opinions

Downloaded and have given one listen. First impression was that "Towers" was my favorite of the three songs. Will have to listen a few more times to digest.

As for the mix, please call Alex Lifeson. Tell him to fire Rich Chycki and that you are available! (That is, assuming you're a Rush fan, LOL.) Your mixes are spot on. I don't need a second listen to know that they're very well done. Nice and discrete. The field is filled up nicely. Dynamic and full.

Wow! I just listened to all three. My opinions are different than those above, as I thought that "From the Light" was amazing. I absolutely love it when different voices are deployed in different channels as it really demonstrates what surround sound is all about. My brain was so enjoying the vocals from all around that I just had to play it a second time.

The surround mixes are what I think surround mixes should be. Very nice placement of vocals and instruments in all of the tracks. I love what you did with the guitars in "Ghost".

Exceptional stuff there Ian. "Towers" had a tiny bit of an "Antiquasauria" feel to me. Not sure if it was supposed to.

Enjoyed all three; what impressed me right off the bat, was the dynamic presence which was clear yet punchy.
Lots of variance in instruments and vocals to grab and keep my attention.
At around 1:56 into Ghost there's a nice surround effect, maybe a guitar slide/scratch.
Hopefully you'll finish all of the songs, as I believe you know what you're doing, and it would be an easy buy for me if that's the route you're headed. :)

IAN, wonderful job done on these 3 songs. There's lots of stuff going on and you have spread things out very well with different instruments popping out in the surround field in a very good way and nothing gimmicky about it. I didn't take note but loved the way you have voice or guitar fading out in a few places which gives it a total 3d image for the ears.

From the Light-vocals seem to be the highlight in this one as far as layering and voice coming at you in different spots.

Ghost-the highlight for me are the guitar bursts in different places, sounds very cool

Towers-I like how this song is held together on a real nice bass grove and all other things going on around you with vocals and instruments you used, can't find any fault. This song was my favorite of the 3.

Job well done sir. Only criticism is I wanted to hear more after 3 songs as time went by to quickly so I had to listen to them all again a second time, :).

peter

Not much I can add to what these guys already said, Ian. Love the widely-dispersed vocals (and the center-channel bass guitar!) in "From the Light." "Ghost"--my least favorite song of the three--still takes an interesting approach (esp. the vocals in the rears). "Towers": really active and discrete. Bring it on!

Last edited:
I like Towers the most. It has to me an appealing tune and also the best distribution over the surround image. From the Light also has a good surround design. To me, Ghost lacks both. Thanks, I would like to hear more.

I listened to Towers on my 5.1 JBL LSR4328/4312 system. First, it's a very good mix and nice tune.

If -I- were adjusting the mix to -my- tastes, I would:

1. Bump the lead vocal in the center by 2-3dB.
2. Brighten the lead vocal a bit.
3. Brighten the guitars a little, particular ~2:40 onward.
4. Move the kick forward in the mix.

Again, my taste.

I'd say #4 was the most important to me. While the top end of the kick being behind me was interesting, I felt it pulled the mix balance too far to the rear and felt odd in my head.

Really good job as-is, though.

Thanks for sharing! I burned a DTS-CD and jumped in my car to check 'em out. The first thing that jumped out at me is how excellent these recordings sound - great clarity and dynamic 'punch'.

"From The Light" was my favorite of the surround mixes - it's very discrete (as others have said, the 'vocals in different speakers' effect is awesome) and well-balanced front-to-back. I wouldn't change anything on this one.

I really liked "Towers" as well, but I thought the rears were a bit hot and the vocals seem slightly veiled. I'm not sure if that's balance or EQ-related. I also think it might've been cool to bounce some of the vocals echos to the rears as well - they seem to only hit the left and right front.

"Ghost" seemed very rear-heavy to me - at first, I thought it might sound better with the front and rear switched (which would put the drums/bass/vocals upfront, and the guitars alternating between the rears), but then I thought about the lyrics of the song and figured maybe you were trying to create an off-kilter vibe with the vocals sort of hovering behind the listener like an actual ghost? I really like the phasing effect on the vocals and the active panning on some of the guitar parts - very psychedelic.

Seems redundant to say at this point, but great job! I'm definitely interesting to hear more.

Thanks all. I appreciate your time and opinions. I worry about just about everything all the time so - thanks for a temporary respite!
I was mostly worried the LFE may be too much, or too much in the rears. I guarantee no one will have to turn up the rear channels on your receiver, haha. I see this whole thing as immersive, and try to put the listener inside the song.
Like a lot of us likely, I'm out of work for a while - so I've got some time to twiddle some knobs.
@privateuniverse haha, please send me his #! ;) I would love love love to mix stuff from other bands. That seems quite out of reach but I've been trying with more independent bands like Built to Spill, Chavez, Baroness, Fugazi. No luck on those so far.
@pti and @sjcorne excellent. I appreciate the detailed critique and I'll make some ch ch changes.
@JonUrban interesting about Antiquasauria. On that album I did a lot of structure/arrangement but none of the melodies, progressions, or recording. Of Cooke's stuff, I think the songs Beam of Light and Fortitude have a lot of my tricks on them - ebow layers, backwards stuff, found-sound percussion - like these. I think it's fair to say my melodies have been influenced by Cooke also. I sure can't sing like he can.

I must say it is quite an honor to get a positive review from the self-proclaimed Forum Curmudgeon. Jon, you have influenced us all so much with this forum. Thank you!

@privateuniverse haha, please send me his #! ;) I would love love love to mix stuff from other bands. That seems quite out of reach but I've been trying with more independent bands like Built to Spill, Chavez, Baroness, Fugazi. No luck on those so far.

Ian, are you a fan of Cheer Accident? I was musing out loud on another thread about whether they'd be open to having their latest album mixed for surround.

Thanks all. I appreciate your time and opinions. I worry about just about everything all the time so - thanks for a temporary respite!
I was mostly worried the LFE may be too much, or too much in the rears. I guarantee no one will have to turn up the rear channels on your receiver, haha. I see this whole thing as immersive, and try to put the listener inside the song.
Like a lot of us likely, I'm out of work for a while - so I've got some time to twiddle some knobs.
@pti and @sjcorne excellent. I appreciate the detailed critique and I'll make some ch ch changes.
@JonUrban interesting about Antiquasauria. On that album I did a lot of structure/arrangement but none of the melodies, progressions, or recording. Of Cooke's stuff, I think the songs Beam of Light and Fortitude have a lot of my tricks on them - ebow layers, backwards stuff, found-sound percussion - like these. I think it's fair to say my melodies have been influenced by Cooke also. I sure can't sing like he can.

I must say it is quite an honor to get a positive review from the self-proclaimed Forum Curmudgeon. Jon, you have influenced us all so much with this forum. Thank you!

Wow, Baroness huh? Do you think they would translate well in surround? I do like them. How about Modest Mouse? :)

Back