New Alan Parsons album "From The New World" out in July! (CD/DVD release)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confirmed by back cover it's a DVD~Video with 5.1 Dolby Digital mix with LPCM Stereo

718Xmtq40kL._SL1200_.jpg
61QdwePwvJL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Confirmed by back cover it's a DVD~Video with 5.1 Dolby Digital mix with LPCM Stereo
So that's different from The Secret, which had DD stereo, DTS stereo and DTS 5.1.
"Due to licensing restrictions, the Be My Baby track will play with a black screen only" 🧐🧐🧐

The Secret was one of my favourite albums from 2019. I don't think there's a bad song on it, there are just a bit too many ballad-type tracks in a row. Although the new album probably won't differ greatly in that regard...

718Xmtq40kL._SL1200_.jpg
61QdwePwvJL._SL1200_.jpg

Yuck! It's a hard pass for me then.
Alan needs to get away from Frontier Records as quickly as possible.
First the mess-up on the One Note Symphony Blu-Ray (which contained Dolby Digital 5.1 audio instead on DTS-HD Master Audio as advertised) and now this?! Digusting...

At least Alan still appears to be with Esoteric Recordings for his back catalogue reissues (whenever those will happen again...)
Esoteric at least has DTS audio for most of their DVDs

I agree about the DD. I just don't get it. I suppose less licensing fees but that's a cop out when less known artists can cough up at least DTS.
I can't for the life of me understand why all B.O.C.'s Blu ray's are DD 5.1.

First the mess-up on the One Note Symphony Blu-Ray (which contained Dolby Digital 5.1 audio instead on DTS-HD Master Audio as advertised) and now this?! Digusting...

At least Alan still appears to be with Esoteric Recordings for his back catalogue reissues (whenever those will happen again...)
Esoteric at least has DTS audio for most of their DVDs
Why are we being so particular about which system they used for the surround? Yes, DTS sounds better, but we should be glad they're offering it in surround at all!

I always wondered whether baking was a euphemism, but it turns out to be a literal term for the process when preparing a new mix.
Very much so. It's likely "modern" tapes will never need to be baked, and there are some older tapes that don't and won't, but the '70s saw a change in backing material that causes delamination over time. The only way to get those tapes to hold together enough to be played back is to heat them up first.

Well, evidently he's happy with them. He made that rather clear when The Secret came out: In the years prior he used to say that he was disappointed by the poor sales of A Valid Path, but once the new album was out he revealed that there was no new album in such a long time because there were no good offers from labels.

(That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see him on InsideOut...)
I agree about the DD. I just don't get it. I suppose less licensing fees but that's a cop out when less known artists can cough up at least DTS.
I can't for the life of me understand why all B.O.C.'s Blu ray's are DD 5.1.
My grandparents' DVD player can't play DTS, so on The Secret, there was no playable 5.1 track. I would therefore assume it's an attempt to remain compatible - and storage space, since I guess a single layer DVD can't hold both DTS and DD plus hi-res stereo?

My grandparents' DVD player can't play DTS, so on The Secret, there was no playable 5.1 track.
But are your grandparents even in the market for Alan Parsons' music, or any surround music? (I suppose that depends on their age.) I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that anyone who would want to hear any surround album would have a disc player capable of at least core DTS.

But are your grandparents even in the market for Alan Parsons' music, or any surround music? (I suppose that depends on their age.) I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that anyone who would want to hear any surround album would have a disc player capable of at least core DTS.
I get to use it when they're on holiday. I don't have a DVD or BD player of my own, although I now thankfully have a working drive for my laptop again.

Of course I don't know the stats on how many DVD players are still in use that can't do DTS, but this doesn't seem to be accidental to me, as I would've expected them to stick with the formats of The Secret.

I get to use it when they're on holiday. I don't have a DVD or BD player of my own, although I now thankfully have a working drive for my laptop again.

Of course I don't know the stats on how many DVD players are still in use that can't do DTS, but this doesn't seem to be accidental to me, as I would've expected them to stick with the formats of The Secret.
I'm thinking the DVD player must be pretty old if it won't decode DTS? Although Dolby got in first, DTS wasn't too far behind. I don't know if surround lpcm would have fit on the disc, but that would have been a better option for me. Thanks @Mr. Afternoon I now know that surround lpcm is allowed on a DVD.

I personally thought "The Secret" was a snooze, although I realize many like it. Maybe I'll break the disc out and have a listen and see if it sounds better to me now.

Thanks @Mr. Afternoon I now know that surround lpcm is allowed on a DVD.
Well.....Yes and no!

Muxman.PNG

Source: LPCM Audio Limitations (The 'MuxMan' DVD software developer)

Creating and muxing multi-channel LPCM audio in-accordance with the DVD-Video specification is a bit different to creating and muxing multi-channel LPCM audio in-accordance with the DVD-Audio specification, as there's little or no moving (MPEG-2 encoded) video to suck up the DVD discs maximum permitted bit-rate.

Suffice to say, creating and muxing multi-channel LPCM audio suitable for use with HFPA or Pure Audio Blu-ray discs is much easier...

Back