New Alan Parsons album "From The New World" out in July! (CD/DVD release)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately "From The New World" DVD multichannel is only 5.1 lossy Dolby Digital. I checked CD Japan and their version this time is also Dolby Digital. Lossy sucks!
Have NO idea why Alan didn't choose LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 which does not incur a royalty fee and could easily be accomodated on a standard DVD.

Have NO idea why Alan didn't choose LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 which does not incur a royalty fee and could easily be accomodated on a standard DVD.
Perhaps its because the DVD-Video standard only supports (5.1) 6-channel LPCM up-to 48.0kHz at 16 or 20-bits. No higher!

For greater LPCM fidelity, such as 96/24 on a DVD disc, you have to move over to the DVD-Audio specification, along with MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing).

Perhaps its because the DVD-Video standard only supports (5.1) 6-channel LPCM up-to 48.0kHz at 16 or 20-bits. No higher!

For greater LPCM fidelity on a DVD disc, you have to move over to the DVD-Audio specification, along with MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing).
...... but not supported by any authoring software anymore, sadly.

Giancarlo Erra of Nosound has found (using some legacy software in the authoring package he has) a way to 'stick' the DVD-V section with a DVD-A section, it works (took a fair bit of experimentation & testing) but the menu is not good (i.e. dire with incorrect timings). His record company is happy for him to deliver that, as he does all the work!

Giancarlo Erra of Nosound has found (using some legacy software in the authoring package he has) a way to 'stick' the DVD-V section with a DVD-A section, it works (took a fair bit of experimentation & testing) but the menu is not good (i.e. dire with incorrect timings). His record company is happy for him to deliver that, as he does all the work!
I'm assuming you're referencing Erra/Bowness' latest CD/DVD~A/V MEMORIES OF MACHINES in which Lossless LPCM 5.1 is utilized in lieu of lossier codecs. Very effective indeed and I wish others would follow suit.

I'm assuming you're referencing Erra/Bowness' latest CD/DVD~A/V MEMORIES OF MACHINES in which Lossless LPCM 5.1 is utilized in lieu of lossier codecs. Very effective indeed and I wish others would follow suit.
Yes as I tested it!

But we'll only see them if they let Giancarlo author them! Sadly DVD-Audio is dead :mad: and the record companies don't like the upfront royalty fee per disc manufactured that Sony demand for Blu-ray Audio.

Yes as I tested it!

But we'll only see them if they let Giancarlo author them! Sadly DVD-Audio is dead :mad: and the record companies don't like the upfront royalty fee per disc manufactured that Sony demand for Blu-ray Audio.
So WE, the consumer, have to suffer LOSSY 5.1 remixes, treated almost as an afterthought while the STEREO Tracks are LOSSLESS ...... an irritating trend which seems to plague a lot of NEW releases....even pricey box sets [like the Be Bop Deluxe/Fleetwood Mac sets .... ALL of them]!!!!!!!

When are the record companies/artists going to learn to dispense with the hard covered books and all that peripheral garbage and just give us the unmitigated sound of those absolute master tapes....in MAXIMUM fidelity???????

Last edited:

I must admit I'm not familiar with his technique. Has he done many discs?

So WE, the consumer, have to suffer LOSSY 5.1 remixes, treated almost as an afterthought while the STEREO Tracks are LOSSLESS ...... an irritating trend which seems to plague a lot of NEW releases....even pricey box sets [like the Be Bop Deluxe/Fleetwood Mac sets .... ALL of them]!!!!!!!
I'd be grateful for any new surround release that's on physical disc...

I'd be grateful for any new surround release that's on physical disc...
While I would tend to agree with you, Jonathan, the difference while listening on separate components IS NOT SUBTLE! LOSSLESS ALWAYS WINS OUT!!!!!!!

BTW, congratulations on your promotion to full moderator!

I must admit I'm not familiar with his technique. Has he done many discs?
No this was the first. It works, hopefully we'll see more, unless it is removed from the software package.

In essence a DVD-V only looks at the VIDEO_TS folder and a DVD-Audio player only looks at the AUDIO_TS. The authoring does not allow for any cross connection between the two folders, so no selection menu that allows a switch to lossless. You need your player to be switched into DVD-Audio mode for DVDs to get the lossless 5.1 PCM. The other 'issue' is the DVD-A track menu, which is dire; its incorrect and looks very amateurish, but is all that is supported (and its layout/contents can't be edited) by the legacy section of the authoring package he has.

Record companies only want to sell product that has been made with legal and thus supported software.

Just had my first listen, not usually big on scoring an album on one listen but it’s better than The Secret, I do wish Alan would stop singing lead, he has a fine voice for backing vocals but not lead, between APP and solo albums he never sang lead on the first 14 albums then all of a sudden started on The Secret.
This is probably the gentlest album he’s ever made but don’t let that put you off, it is quality stuff.
If you scan the qr code on the back cover it takes you to videos for a few of the songs

For greater LPCM fidelity, such as 96/24 on a DVD disc, you have to move over to the DVD-Audio specification, along with MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing).
Disappointing. His last CD + DVD had DTS 5.1 instead of this sh**** AC3 codec. DTS is minimum on a DVD-V!

Just received my copy. At least the packaging is nice ..... two plastic inserts for the CD/DVD in lieu of those obnoxious disc pockets. Surprisingly, the LPCM Stereo tracks are Dolby Digital 2.0 [NOT 48/24].

My initial impression......somewhat of a return to form for Parsons and the DD 5.1 has a robust presence and some convincing bass....and a nice immersive mix.

And quite frankly, BE MY BABY has never sounded better. What a nice surprise, Alan!

Will of course have to spend more time for a critical listen.

REALLY looking forward to Alan's older catalogue remixed into 5.1...... on stand alone BD~As ...... I, ROBOT, anyone?

Last edited:
I had two copies ordered, Amazon won the shipping battle, it should be here Wednesday. Unfortunately for Alan, I cancelled the order from his site. In the process almost cutting the cost in half. Over $10 in shipping cost domestically is nuts.

Back