New Alan Parsons album "From The New World" out in July! (CD/DVD release)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you say this is a 5.1 mix, but you say the rear surrounds seem to be perfect in the mix. Do you mean the side surrounds? There are no rear surrounds active in a 5.1 mix, at least not on my setup.
Wow, too technical for me, I guess you will just have to use your imagination. I would really hope you would know what I meant?

Now a day later, I woke up in a better mood. I will explain.

1. I am listening to my ripped file of Alan Parsons, it is ripped using software called DVD Audio Extractor. It rips as 24/48 with Dynamic Range numbers as 13's and 14's so at least in the lossy format it is good quality and in this instance no need to complain about the end result.
2. My system is called a 5.2.4. Obviously on this Alan Parsons it is a 5.1 only, so having 4 height channels are not needed unless you select a faux position like Neural X, etc.
3. In a 5.1 surround disc I will hear L/F, C, R/F and two R/L & R/R floor rears. My personal set up my two floor rears are approximately 4' diagonally behind my left and right shoulder. I do not like them on the sides pointed at my ears. I suppose if I had 7 speakers on the floor then I would have what is called surrounds and surround backs, there are other ways of calling it also.
4. On my Pre Pro I have two LFE outs, hence the .2. I actually have 3 subs. My L/F sub LFE connected is designed to carry the low end for the front left and right speakers. The rear sub set rear right (both subs are angled facing each other) is used for the low end of the rear speakers. The 3rd sub sitting right front is used with High Frequency (speakon cable) directly to the stereo posts of the center channel speaker.
5. Now when I listen to this Alan Parsons DVD Video disc in 5.1 as it was intended, All 5 floor speakers are working and the 3 subs are working as the 2 LFE outs of the pre pro both become active and anytime there is a bit of activity on the center speaker that sub picks up a little. My 4 height speakers do not work at all in a 5.1 listening experience.

Note about this Alan Parsons release, my favorite song is Halos, very good. The final song Be My Baby, whether ripped or off disc, starts off silent for 20 seconds. and is practically an exact replica of the original 1963 Phil Spector version, weird. I would like to know the story behind track 11.

More questions? I'll try, maybe.

1. I am listening to my ripped file of Alan Parsons, it is ripped using software called DVD Audio Extractor. It rips as 24/48 with Dynamic Range numbers as 13's and 14's so at least in the lossy format it is good quality and in this instance no need to complain about the end result.
2. My system is called a 5.2.4. Obviously on this Alan Parsons it is a 5.1 only, so having 4 height channels are not needed unless you select a faux position like Neural X, etc.
3. In a 5.1 surround disc I will hear L/F, C, R/F and two R/L & R/R floor rears. My personal set up my two floor rears are approximately 4' diagonally behind my left and right shoulder. I do not like them on the sides pointed at my ears. I suppose if I had 7 speakers on the floor then I would have what is called surrounds and surround backs, there are other ways of calling it also.
4. On my Pre Pro I have two LFE outs, hence the .2. I actually have 3 subs. My L/F sub LFE connected is designed to carry the low end for the front left and right speakers. The rear sub set rear right (both subs are angled facing each other) is used for the low end of the rear speakers. The 3rd sub sitting right front is used with High Frequency (speakon cable) directly to the stereo posts of the center channel speaker.
5. Now when I listen to this Alan Parsons DVD Video disc in 5.1 as it was intended, All 5 floor speakers are working and the 3 subs are working as the 2 LFE outs of the pre pro both become active and anytime there is a bit of activity on the center speaker that sub picks up a little. My 4 height speakers do not work at all in a 5.1 listening experience.

Note about this Alan Parsons release, my favorite song is Halos, very good. The final song Be My Baby, whether ripped or off disc, starts off silent for 20 seconds. and is practically an exact replica of the original 1963 Phil Spector version, weird. I would like to know the story behind track 11.

On the CD and Digital releases, Be My Baby only has about 10 seconds of silence at the beginning and Goin' Home has 10 seconds of silence at the end. Kind of like it was intended to be a hidden track or something and odd they indexed it differently on the DVD vs. the CD/Digital.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

With regard to “Be my baby” a few years back Alan was being interviewed on a radio station here in the UK, he said his production hero was Phil Spector and would one day hope to re-do one of his songs, perhaps this is it?

With regard to “Be my baby” a few years back Alan was being interviewed on a radio station here in the UK, he said his production hero was Phil Spector and would one day hope to re-do one of his songs, perhaps this is it?
Explanation on the booklet, see below

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_220949_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220722_220949_HDR~2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
He also said he wanted to do a stereo version of the song since the original was in mono! And now we even got a 5.1 one too...
Note about this Alan Parsons release, my favorite song is Halos, very good.
Halos is one I'm liking already. Other than that, I can't see me liking this more than The Secret, which is still an album I like a lot. Four ballads in a row is total overkill.

Edit: Here's what I posted on SH.TV.

First listen. I'm not bowled over by the album - way too many ballads in a row (even The Secret, which was ballad-heavy, didn't strike me like that). "Halos" sounds like it might have originally been an instrumental but I quite like how it turned out. Why the "Be My Baby" cover, good as it is, deserves a place on this album while originals such as "All Our Yesterdays", "Fragile" or "The Neverending Show" languish as scattered oddities here and there is beside me.

But! Parsons singing "Goin' Home" is hella impressive. He really put everything into it and for the first time, a vocal performance of his can be compared in quality to Eric Woolfson's.

Sounds like you're happy, and that's all that matters!
I've only listened through the Parsons twice. I do like it better than "The Secret", as I said before this one resembles old school APP to me. Think I'll fire it up now.

Explanation on the booklet, see below
Thanks so much for posting that, I was surprised and then happily enjoyed Be My Baby when it first played here! For sure one of Spectors best and most famous hits, I grew up listening and loving it.
Sadly Phil had the later issues he did.
There but for the grace of God go I.

Or as Warren Zevon said,
He Was Just An Excitable Boy LOL

I've seen Mark Mikel in the comments on an upload of the full album on YouTube and decided to ask him a question:

Hello Mark! Why is there a song called The Secret on this album now? Does this date back to 2019 and wasn't used or did you do it just to mess with people? ;)

Mark Mikel replied:

"the song was written during The Secret sessions in 2018. I think Alan just already had too many songs. We were also aware that other groups had done this before (Led Zeppelin, Queen, ELP) and we kind of liked that aspect of throwing back to a previous album."

I've seen Mark Mikel in the comments on an upload of the full album on YouTube and decided to ask him a question:

Hello Mark! Why is there a song called The Secret on this album now? Does this date back to 2019 and wasn't used or did you do it just to mess with people? ;)

Mark Mikel replied:

"the song was written during The Secret sessions in 2018. I think Alan just already had too many songs. We were also aware that other groups had done this before (Led Zeppelin, Queen, ELP) and we kind of liked that aspect of throwing back to a previous album."
Mark Mikel is a really cool guy! I got into his music about 2006 and have made several trips to Toledo to see him perform. He is lifelong friends with Jeff Kollman who is currently in the Alan Parsons live band.

Had to order my DVD from the UK, they say it's on-the-way.
I'm a poet, and it didn't even know it. LOL
Can't wait to hear the whole thing in 5.1.
I believe it's one of Alan best yet.
The older I get the more I love Alan,
Maybe it's cause we're the same age?

Back