New Big Big Train album or Merchants of Light live album in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back I thought I heard they were planning to release a studio album (English Electric, or maybe it was Underfall Yard?) in 5.1.

Not.

Grand Tour
Inspired by the 17th and 18th century custom of the Grand Tour, where young men and women travelled to broaden the mind, Big Big Train have made an album of songs set in distant lands and beyond.
Grand Tour will be released on May 17th 2019 and is available to pre-order now on double heavyweight gatefold vinyl (featuring a 24 page booklet), digipack CD (featuring a 52 page booklet) and on standard and hi-resolution (24/96) download. Grand Tour will be available on all good streaming services on release day.

Merchants of Light is still going to get a BluRay release ("Reflectors of Light") with 5.1 surround mixes, but the project was delayed and to avoid clashing with the new album has been temporarily halted. Sadly, I'm not aware of any 5.1 mixes of the new album :(
Neil, do you happen to know what's up with The Underfall Yard remix? Is it being worked on?

Merchants of Light is still going to get a BluRay release ("Reflectors of Light") with 5.1 surround mixes, but the project was delayed and to avoid clashing with the new album has been temporarily halted. Sadly, I'm not aware of any 5.1 mixes of the new album :(
Dammit. I missed out on the Stone & Steel Blu-ray and was definitely looking forward to Merchants of Light's release. At least I didn't miss it yet!!!

Reactions: GOS
Though, I’ve heard of the name via Burning Shed but I’ve never heard this group before. I’m playing their first album right now via Apple Music...on the third song and it’s quite good. Are any of their albums in 5.1?

Though, I’ve heard of the name via Burning Shed but I’ve never heard this group before. I’m playing their first album right now via Apple Music...on the third song and it’s quite good. Are any of their albums in 5.1?
Yes. Stone and Steel. Its a live studio recording of the band rehearsing for a tour. Its a blue ray video. The audio and surround mix is stellar. Unfortunately its OOP and fetches a good sum on the used market.

They were a discovery for me as well. I learned about them on QQ and had never heard of them before. Check out the review of SAS in the polls. When you can, have a listen to the stereo versions of The Underfall Yard and English Electric 1&2. SAS has live discreet surround performances of several of those tracks plus many more.

They make stellar music. I describe them to others as the love child of Peter Gabriel Era Genesis and Pink Floyd. I hope you can get a copy of SAS someday, and I hope Merchants of Light is just as good.

Another band like them, but a bit more Floydish that also has a lot of surround releases out is RPWL . Also a QQ discovery for me. Heard any of that yet?

Last edited:
They were a discovery for me as well. I learned about them on QQ and had never heard of them before. Check out the review of SAS in the polls. When you can, have a listen to the stereo versions of The Underfall Yard and English Electric 1&2. SAS has live discreet surround performances of several of those tracks plus many more.

They make stellar music. I describe them to others as the love child of Peter Gabriel Era Genesis and Pink Floyd. I hope you can get a copy of SAS someday, and I hope Merchants of Light is just as good.

Another band like them, but a bit more Floydish that also has a lot of surround releases out is RWPL . Also a QQ discovery for me. Heard any of that yet?
I plan on taking the next couple of weeks, one album at a time with what’s available on Apple Music, in chronological order. So far, I only listened to the first 4 songs off the first album.

I’ve only listened to the first album in its entirety and I really enjoyed it. The lead vocal is recorded kind of dry but his voice sounded good. I will listen to the second one later tonight. I was reading about BBT on Wikipedia last night and noticed the different musicians in and out. It kind of reminded me of The Cult. I did see that Dave Gregory (XTC) is a member now. I have a feeling that I may not like their later output but I’ll see.

Back