New Chicago quad reissue from Rhino Handmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't reveal the title yet, but a source told me the CTA quad issue from Rhino was so successful that they're about to announce the next one (a different artist) and its upcoming release date. Sorry to be all cryptic, just can't burn sources.

Excellent! Looking forward BIG TIME to finding out which one it is! :banana:

Any chance they could lower the price a little now that they know that these discs will definitely be good sellers and won't be as risky to produce? :confused:

The highlight of Marks post above are the words "so successful"!

Go get 'em, Bob!

Hi all, John Hughes from Rhino.com here.

I just wanted to jump in and introduce myself for a few reasons:

1. To thank each and every one of you for the tremendous support you've shown for Chicago Transit Authority Quad. It's been overwhelming and appreciated.
  2. To let you know that we are most definitely listening to you, our customers. We read each email, listen to every voicemail, read the boards and what you say and how you react definitely tells us which way to go. Thanks for being so vocal with your support and suggestions and keep them coming.
  3. And last, but certainly not least, to give you guys here an exclusive scoop for being so supportive. We will be announcing the next Quadio release and taking pre-orders starting Tuesday afternoon, July 6th (that's PST time). How's that for a nice way to head into the 4th of July weekend?

Again, thank you so much for helping make this release a success - here's to many more! Make sure you check out Rhino.com Tuesday afternoon (give us until after noon PST to get everything lined up!) for the latest and greatest Quadio release!

Mr. Urban, thanks for letting me use your forum to thank everyone and if you wish to confirm my ID, etc, just shoot me an email at the address in my member profile.

Let the fun and speculation begin!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Welcome John and thanks for the very encouraging words! We all need to have a little positive reinforcement around here, that's for sure! Realize that just like in The Shawshank Redemption, rewarding our persistence will only get you more e-mails, more board posts, more voicemail, and more letters! ;) The next hurdle: DTS DVD to DVD-Audio ;)

Seriously, thanks again, and please come back often and soon! Until the next time, onto July 6! :phones

Thanks for the heads up John. That's awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed for "Raunch "N' Roll Live".

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can count on me and my brothers support.

I can't reveal the title yet, but a source told me the CTA quad issue from Rhino was so successful that they're about to announce the next one (a different artist) and its upcoming release date. Sorry to be all cryptic, just can't burn sources.

WOOT! It worked, QQ! We did it! Of course I'm sure that a lot more folks had to order it than just those on this board, but still I feel pretty good about our ability to spread the word and get purchasers to take notice. (Also thanks to those who chose to boycott Doid, keeping xfers of vintage Quad Lps off, until the weasel who posted the CTA torrent took it down.)

Wow... with all the cool Quad stuff in the vaults at WEA, the next title could be superfine. Joni Mitchell? Eagles? Doobies? Judy Collins? America? Deep Purple? Jackson Browne? Maybe some of the prepared but unreleased Lightfoot? The mind reels... :D

how is keeping xfers of vintage quad lps of the noid good?

As a community, we wanted to support Rhino's Quad project to the max, and agreed here not to share the discs publicly. However, someone (outside the QQ family) did rip them and put up a torrent. Several folks who transfer vintage quads decided that they would remove their work from the doid to bring pressure on this fellow to remove the CTA share. It worked, and now new xfers of vintage quads are reappearing.

So it's a good thing because the folks doing the bulk of the transferring were able to shut down a short-sighted share that could have torpedoed the whole Rhino Quad reissue project.

As a community, we wanted to support Rhino's Quad project to the max, and agreed here not to share the discs publicly. However, someone (outside the QQ family) did rip them and put up a torrent. Several folks who transfer vintage quads decided that they would remove their work from the doid to bring pressure on this fellow to remove the CTA share. It worked, and now new xfers of vintage quads are reappearing.

So it's a good thing because the folks doing the bulk of the transferring were able to shut down a short-sighted share that could have torpedoed the whole Rhino Quad reissue project.

What he said, exactly.

Announcement coming tomorrow, as noted, and I'm thrilled because I've never found this quad from this artist and the quality will be amazing. When the official announcement comes I'll point to it from my blog as MSN Music, but you'll all have heard it first.

Hate to say it, but now I'm wondering "What's next?"

Because I think there will be a next.

Official press release

THE QUEEN OF SOUL GOES QUADRAPHONIC

Rhino Handmade Reissues 1973’s The Best Of Aretha Franklin As DTS DVD
With Unique Quad Mixes Of Soul Classics Not Available Since The Original Release

Pre-Order Today Exclusively At Rhino.com, Out August 17

LOS ANGELES – For its second Quadio release, Rhino Handmade gives “Respect” to one of the greatest singers of all time with a reissue of The Best Of Aretha Franklin, a collection of stone-classic soul music that was released in 1973 exclusively in Quadraphonic. Out-of-print for decades, this music-only DVD features unique quad mixes by legendary producer Tom Dowd that have not been available since the original release.

THE BEST OF ARETHA FRANKLIN (QUADRAPHONIC MIX) is available for pre-order now exclusively at www.rhino.com for a suggested list price of $29.98 and will be released August 17. Featuring four channels of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio (down-scalable to 24-bit, 48 kHz), this DTS DVD is to be played in a DVD player with Surround Sound in order to enjoy the Quadraphonic mix as intended. The release does not include a two-channel stereo mix.

THE BEST OF ARETHA FRANKLIN (QUADRAPHONIC MIX) contains 12 tracks, including an extended version of “Rock Steady” with music by the Memphis Horns that was cut from the stereo version and can only be heard in this Quadraphonic mix. The disc also includes a rare version of “Chain Of Fools” with an extended introduction. This version was released in stereo in 1995 as part of Rhino’s expanded edition of Lady Soul.

These songs spotlight Franklin during her white-hot run with Atlantic Records and capture the singer at the pinnacle of her hitmaking prowess. The collection opens with “Respect,” a song that topped both the Pop and R&B charts in 1967 and went on to become the singer’s signature hit. The disc gathers many of the Queen of Soul’s crown jewels and accounts for no less than eight #1 R&B hits, including “Baby, I Love You,” “Spanish Harlem,” “Don’t Play That Song, “Call Me,” and a cover of the Simon and Garfunkel ballad “Bridge Over Troubled Water.”

One of the earliest offerings of what would later be known as Surround Sound, Quadraphonic sound uses four channels and speakers placed in four corners of a room to create signals that are independent of one another. To learn more, visit Rhino Handmade’s primer on Quadraphonic sound at www.rhino.com/global/what-quad.

THE BEST OF ARETHA FRANKLIN (QUADRAPHONIC MIX)

Track Listing

1. “Respect”

2. “Baby, I Love You”

3. “Chain Of Fools”

4. “Rock Steady”

5. “Spanish Harlem”

6. “Don’t Play That Song”

7. “Dr. Feelgood”

8. “Day Dreaming”

9. “I Say A Little Prayer”

10. “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman”

11. “Call Me”