New Chicago quad reissue from Rhino Handmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I'm thinking, but I'm no lawyer so it's strictly speculative:

Is there a chance that "CTA" was nearing public domain status 40 years later?

I have no idea, obviously, but that sure is an interesting theory. Who knows? Maybe! Though, I'm with you in that, either way, let's hope that Rhino gets enough sales of CTA to release more quad!

Could be that the disc could not be produced as a DVD 5 due to space as the disc with DTS and DD comes out at almost 3 gig. Why not a DVD 9 layer then and why the price and so on.

I wonder... Does anyone here know if it costs much more to produce a DVD9 disc than a DVD5 disc?

Here's what I'm thinking, but I'm no lawyer so it's strictly speculative:

Is there a chance that "CTA" was nearing public domain status 40 years later? And that the only way to protect this work was to prove it was still in "use"? I'm not sure a reissue would count as "use", but a new version might? For example, the Chicago Sun-Times owns/owned the Chicago Daily News. But that paper hasn't existed for years and a blogger began using the name. The Sun-Times had to prove they still used it so began running "This week in the Daily News" articles once a week in the paper.
"Chicago" would not be a worry since it's been used continually. So we're not likely to see anything from Rhino from them.
All speculation, but even if true Rhino may still be encouraged by the response to the quad release and give us more.

I don't think that's the reason, but whatever the reason keep them coming! Sound recording copyrights stay in effect in the U.S. until 75 years after the author's passing. A reissue in Quadraphonic does in fact constitute use for these particular mixes and that's a good thing for them to do. Perhaps it's as simple as there is a market for Quad now that more people have surround systems in their homes. These Quadraphonic mixes are real interesting and IMO way ahead of their time in how to properly mix music for surround.

I wonder... Does anyone here know if it costs much more to produce a DVD9 disc than a DVD5 disc?

I believe it's about $1 a disc for DVD 5 production for a thousand, so I've found at various places. Although I'm not sure if there are any particular special needs for proper DVD-Audio replication. A DVD 9 disc can't be that much more. But I think the point I was trying to make was that with production costs, like getting ahold of the tapes, transferring them properly and so on are all factors in what made the disc what it is in its final form and cost. This "new" Quad re-release seems to have its own unique packaging when put on the bookshelf, so maybe this is a start of more to come. Chicago 1 is one of the perfect Quadraphonic titles to show off these mixes to those unfamiliar with them and for those of us who these mixes are old familar friends we've been listening to since the 1970's when they first came out. I commend Rhino for putting out this Chicago release and hope more "Quadio" titles will follow. It would seem that Rhino has put a lot of thought into this release and has set the stage for more titles. You don't invent the word "Quadio" for just one title do you? :)

Let me try it another way:

The music is copywrited and can't be stolen or used without permission. But if it was copywrited by Chicago Transit Authority, then Chicago Transit Authority must remain a viable trademark. To remain a viable trademark, CTA must continue to use that name to market its goods/services. Ie, CTA is NOT protected if CTA is not used, ala the Daily News example above.

Oh well, it's wild speculation only. Perhaps an enterprising reporter can call Chicago or Rhino and ask?
And more please!

It would seem that Rhino has put a lot of thought into this release and has set the stage for more titles. You don't invent the word "Quadio" for just one title do you? :)

True.
That, and the presence of the dvd-a logo probably shows a rapid change of project, trying to appeal to a wider audience with a DTS stream instead of a MLP one.
Which raise a question: would you prefer DD + DTS 96/24 or DD + MLP?
Meanwhile i need to wait more... (mailman, bring me my CTA!)
Will be intresting to know the sales figures so far.

BTW: seems that the trend nowadays is doing 96/24 rips of vinyl and put it on dvd-audio. Will DVD-A be the next to come back from the ashes? The chips that does dvd-a are out there, it's just a matter of firmware.

True.
That, and the presence of the dvd-a logo probably shows a rapid change of project, trying to appeal to a wider audience with a DTS stream instead of a MLP one.
Which raise a question: would you prefer DD + DTS 96/24 or DD + MLP?
Meanwhile i need to wait more... (mailman, bring me my CTA!)
Will be intresting to know the sales figures so far.

BTW: seems that the trend nowadays is doing 96/24 rips of vinyl and put it on dvd-audio. Will DVD-A be the next to come back from the ashes? The chips that does dvd-a are out there, it's just a matter of firmware.

Heh, I would be happy with MLP DVD-Audio only :D, but to be fair and since it should not take up too much space, either DD or DTS should be added.

Yes, like MP3 came up from the underground more than 10 years ago, perhaps DVD-Audio could still hang on to actually make it to its rightful place as a common item. The secret about the sound quality of DVD-Audio is getting out to the mainstream bit by bit :) and there are already millions of players out there - if I've got that right. Plus, anyone can make a MLP DVD-Audio disc as the software is out there cheap ($45) for all these years (http://www.cirlinca.com/products.htm).

Hope your disc arrives soon! Mine arrived Monday.

Well, if Rhino would go the MLP way i am more than happy... the only thing that will be really needed is that they don't do watermarking.
Why? To pirate better the disc? No.

They are selling "limited editions" on the Rhino Handmade - so it's normal these will be in print for a short time and once these are gone, these are really gone. This make it hard to buy the current titles in 2015, for example, so these release need to be carefully handled.
Problem is... the place where i do enjoy most dvd-a nowadays is in car: i have a jvc unit that does honor watermarking and i don't want to risk my precious and all-OOP dvd-a in a hot environment and with the risk of being stoled. I need to do dvd-r copy, since all these are already OOP stuff.
Maybe in a couple of years i can use a head unit that does ISO playback from files, and hope that it does not honor watermarking.

I've just played my copy last week here in GB and the surround mix is superb, though I found the sound slightly harsh compared to what I'm used to in that format. I didn't see any sign of the stated option to direct the low frequency signal to the sub or main speakers either but perhaps that was because I was using DTS.

I've got my new CTA Quadio disc playing right now via the disc player's analog 2-channel audio-out jacks into a 2-channel stereo system - I wonder, just what mix am I hearing via that source? is it a downmix from the quad tracks or is it a separate and new 2 channel mix from the four quad tracks? If this question has previously been asked, please direct me to that thread.

thanks from John

I've got my new CTA Quadio disc playing right now via the disc player's analog 2-channel audio-out jacks into a 2-channel stereo system - I wonder, just what mix am I hearing via that source? is it a downmix from the quad tracks or is it a separate and new 2 channel mix from the four quad tracks? If this question has previously been asked, please direct me to that thread.

thanks from John

Most likely a "downmix" from the 4 channels. AFAIK there was no new 2 channel mix.

Disc authoring speaking only though, if I understand correctly, one can have a new or old mix coming out of the stereo outputs instead of the downmix, but others would know best.

thanks from John

Downmix from 4.0. There are only 2 audio streams on the disc, a 4.0 dolby digital ac3 and a 4.0 dts.

Hey all. My name is Mark Brown, I did a story that runs in the June issue of the LA Times Magazine about quad collecting, the new CTA release, etc. I understand someone from Rhino is here on the board and knows more than I do, but they do hope the success of CTA leads to much more. I don't believe choosing that as a first release was based on anything other than the quality of Jim Guercio's mix and the popularity of that album among music fanatics like all of us. I'll post a link when the story is live -- a couple of people from this board are interviewed as well as Guercio, Alan Parsons and more.

Hey all. My name is Mark Brown, I did a story that runs in the June issue of the LA Times Magazine about quad collecting, the new CTA release, etc. I understand someone from Rhino is here on the board and knows more than I do, but they do hope the success of CTA leads to much more. I don't believe choosing that as a first release was based on anything other than the quality of Jim Guercio's mix and the popularity of that album among music fanatics like all of us. I'll post a link when the story is live -- a couple of people from this board are interviewed as well as Guercio, Alan Parsons and more.

Welcome Mark. I hope you browse around and find some of the more interesting things buried in this forum and website. Looking forward to your story. I will highlight it on the home page.

Just to clarify, I'm a freelance writer, and the LA Times Magazine accepted my piece-- I don't actually work for them. Anyone in this forum will find it very pedestrian, as it's introducing quad to the general public again after being considered a "lost" format for so many years. I just discovered what you guys were doing with transfers, etc, a couple of years ago and have loved the stuff I've heard.

I've been kicking around a story on quad for a while and the Times editor's husband (I believe) is/was totally into quad so she got the concept immediately.

I've been lurking here a while and enjoy what I'm reading. Thanks to Jon for setting this up. I do mention this site in the story so you might get a spike in traffic when it runs.

Back