New Chicago quad reissue from Rhino Handmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Just got an email from Rhino advertising the new Jan & Dean Handmade set. At the bottom of the email, there's a clip from Google Maps with the legend "What's next? Hint Hint".

Clicking on it takes you to this link: notice that the address in the Google Maps box is "Chicago quad".

So..... are we going to get a nice, limited-edition Handmade version of one or more of the Chicago quad mixes? :D:D:yikes

I can hardly wait to find out!

Well... that email's cryptic message certainly is intriguing! What is that mapped address, anyway? A frat house?

Well... that email's cryptic message certainly is intriguing! What is that mapped address, anyway? A frat house?
Seems to be a gym. So it's either a remaster of Thor's Got To Keep The Dogs Away, or Chicago quad. ;)

Sure isn't a mail from Silverline? There's a *ahem* wonderful parking lot on the other side of the Wabash... this does qualify for a live recording with a "stunning surround experience" by the Silverline standards. :)

I'm so used to having my hopes dashed when it comes to this kind of stuff that I almost expect the release to be something other than a re-release of quad mixes. Is it possible that they simply mean to suggest it will be a release of Chicago IV? I know there is a CD of it floating around, but I'm not sure if it has seen a recent vinyl release. (Vinyl? Not interested.)

That said, of course I'm hoping to somehow get a hi-rez DVD-A of some of the older Chicago quadraphonic mixes from the 1970s. That would be sweet!

No, I wasn't suggesting a cube of the entire catalog - just the original 10 quad Lps. (Although I've always thought that Hot Streets would be fun to hear in Quad!)

And two, no one needs to be subjected to "You're The Inspiration" in mono, stereo or 5.1 !!!!

Heh, heh... I was in the middle of listening to one of the new KC dvd-a's, but that statement above just inspired me to load up the smooth sounds of "Solitude/Solitaire". So I don't know if 17 would be so bad in 5.1... I'd take it... Well, what I mean is... at least it would be less painful than having to sit all the way through a viewing of the Karate Kid Part 2. (The first one rocks, though!) ;)

But, yeah, let's hope we see either CTA or X or both, instead!!!

Rhino Handmade, ideally, would be a right choice for future WB artist DVD-A 5.1 releases. In a perfect world scenario, they could put back in print all of the titles selling for $50+ on eBay, and use that cash to fund newer releases. By selling direct, they could make more $$ per disc. They could also direct market to Acura, Infinity, Buick, Lexus, and other owners of 5.1 capable systems (DVD-A or DTS) to mine more sales.

If they wanted to do it, it could be done. "Rhino Handmade 5.1" - sounds good to me! :D

I don't care if this sounds pompous, but I highly doubt that an official pressing of Chicago X will sound much better than my DVD-A from the SQ LP...and I'm absolutely sure that it won't feature a lyrics slideshow...like mine ---:)

:D Nonetheless, I do hope to be first in line to buy for if/when an official DVD-A of Chicago X in quad gets released.

If it's not a 96/24 DVD-A, I am not interested.
I am only buying the Krimson reissues cause it's them in spite of the "for those lowly surround freaks" 48/24 castrated mixes, while the Stereo is in glorious 96/24...
I am slowly getting rid of the inferior commercial releases compared to the awesome transfers done by this crowd: DP Stormbringer, Tomita Planets, Black Sabbath DVD-V, etc..
Even considering doing a real Hi res Transfer from an SQ LP of Purple's Machine Head.
If the modern releases are gonna be that bad, I'm sorry for them....and it looks like it's not getting any better...
now if they do BluRay 96/24 of the ORIGINAL quad mix (not a James Guthrieish lameass version like the horrid DSOTM), I might have to get a player...

If it's a commercial release of 5.1, I really want to support it. Yes, some of the Community's conversions (like "Paranoid" - thanks again, Bob!) are really superior... but if we want more from the vaults in the future, we need to buy it when they release it.

Excepting, of course, Silverline or that ilk.

I just hope that Rhino don't go mad with digital compression...which they seem to have done with most of their stereo cd's this century..and I hope that they don't give us a drum track that sounds like it was re- recorded last weekend...like what we got with "songs for beginners" Graham Nash

That happens to be the University of Chicago's "quad" which is the term for a dormatory designed for four students. Very clever.

I hope it's in hi-rez, but I won't hold my breath.

Back